Genie launched - start date Oct 19th

Yes.
All of the videos appear to demo LL options as you sort out what itinerary Genie has pulled together for you.

I’m trying to picture how those options will display in the existing MDE screens and thinking it seems to be a crazy way to launch a product.

1 Like

In the same vein, though, I’m supposed to have a free Party ticket (specifically a MNSSHP one) because Rise went down.

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to collect on that.

5 Likes

Lots and lots of people.

5 Likes

I think paying for headliners will come first, without Genie at first. There will be the 2 BG options and the pay to ride.

But that’s a hunch.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought too but am surprised it would be accessed through current MDE and not basic Genie.

2 Likes

There was a reminder in another thread that mobile orders cannot be charged to your room (credit card or gift card only). Since Genie+ (and LL+) will be part of MDE, should we expect that similarly to the mobile orders, we not be able to charge the fees to our rooms and will be required to pay for it directly?

WDW is working so hard on pushing all this new stuff out and still hasn’t figured out how to let us charge mobile orders to our rooms. This is going to be a cluster.

2 Likes

Don’t we think that Genie will be on MDE and not a separate app? I may be confused though.

2 Likes

Good point, I would expect so.

Correct. But it’s the timing of the initial rollout and what tools/capabilities come first/second is what’s not clear.

1 Like

From this it sounds like you think it will be a separate app, that’s what confused me.

I know @missoverexcited But my thought was based on this:

This is a possibility to have the ability to purchase 2 rides without even the basic Genie launching I guess?

Now you’re getting me confused again :joy:

2 Likes

It is confusing for sure! But yes I think Genie is totally separate to being able to pay for either G+ or just the paid rides. Who knows? Maybe it will become clear at some point.

3 Likes

Honestly you’d think it would just make a bad PR situation worse by rolling out the pay-to-play app before the free app.

4 Likes

They don’t seem to have much idea how bad their decisions will make them look.

4 Likes

Either that or they don’t care.

2 Likes

No doubt their judgement is skewed by the 50th

3 Likes

Here’s how I would want this launched. But of course, I’m not Disney and probably have it all wrong :upside_down_face:

September: Launch the basic Genie with the free planning features to get accustomed to.

October 1: The early entry is starting among other things, so I wouldn’t complicate things more with LL+ or G+ yet. Standby is fine for now with the overall not busy month with the exception of the first weekend.

November 1: Lightning Lane opens up for the 2 headliners in each park. You now have the ability to purchase the 2 headliners (LL+) from basic Genie.

November 15: All Lightning Lanes open up. You can now upgrade to the Genie+ multi-attraction package.

Everything is all set ahead of the busy holiday season with time in between the roll-outs to make some tweaks.

5 Likes

Seems sensible and well thought out.

Clearly out of the question

13 Likes

Your plan is excellent, but :point_up_2:t3:

6 Likes

If finally caught up in this thread. People need to stop posting so much! (Except for me. I’m allowed. Of course.)

Okay. I still have some fundamental issues with this new system…and again, I won’t get into that.

But, my wife and I kind of plotted how how we would likely use this system for our trip next year, assuming it still looks, by then, the same as people are saying it should look starting this fall.

We figure we only need to buy a total of 4 LL+ for our trip: Rat, GotG, Tron, and SDD (assuming those will all be LL+ only).

We figure figured that we’ll only need to pay for Genie+ for maybe 3 or 4 of our days, max. (This would be for a 7 park days total.)

If the LL+ are $20 each (just a guess), that’s $160 total for the two of us for 4 rides. Then, at $15/day/pp for Genie+, that’s about $120 more. This means the changes adds $280 to our trip.

Does this mean Disney is getting an extra $280 from us?

Nope. Because as a result, we decided that we’ll drop a few Table Service restaurants, plus a few other adjustments to our budget, to make up for it.

What really bugs me is that despite really hating this change, just like I hated FPP, you kind of have to use it (in some cases) because otherwise you are now putting yourself behind everyone else who is using it. (Which is one of the reasons I hate this…the change is artificially driving up the NEED for it, where Disney is creating demand for something.)

13 Likes