Genie launched - start date Oct 19th

Ooh, true point. In that case, a smart decision.

I still plan on using TP in conjunction with my G+ and LL purchases. I’m really hoping Genie is the kick in the pants TP needs to get its software updated to work with “MaxPass” better. I tracked MaxPass times for more than a year and after about 10am my TPs were habitually / wildly incorrect.

I get that no one wants to pay for this. I don’t either, but I think it’s going to work out. We’ll all be G+ experts in no time and boosting about how we game that system.

I guess because I don’t have a trip for another 400+ days it’s all academic for me. If your trip is next month I can see how being a live beta tester is going to be stressful!

Wow! What a great catch! I’ll bet you’re 100% correct! Make sure you bookmark this so you can be the one to say you saw it coming!

5 Likes

Ah will do!

1 Like

When G+ first came out, I may have put a few soft digs about this out there. From some of the responses I got, it seems they have been working on this?

Because I agree. TP was.good for letting me know average last distribution time for MP (but I always assumed it was an hour sooner than they said) and I used it as a checklist of what I wanted to do. But it was often a mess.

1 Like

Ahh. It’s refreshing to see this laid out as FAQ’s.
I feel better. (Not about G+ and ILL, but my ability to navigate.)

2 Likes

Woo! We’re setting up LL and Genie+ predictions in the app and touring plans.

I’m guessing that Genie will not work directly with Genie+. That is, I don’t think that Genie will know you’ve got Genie+ and tell you when to get your next reservation to minimize your wait in line. But we’re working on that for Lines.

As far as release times go, we want Genie and Genie+ to roll out first, so we know exactly what rules are in place around usage. My guess is that we don’t yet know all the rules, and some of them will change within a month of starting.

30 Likes

Thanks for all the work you and your team do with all of this. Especially since the pandemic hit, you - like the rest of the world - have faced change after change after change. And yet it seems like you’re always right there ready to implement the next necessary thing to keep the product working well for us end-users. It’s so appreciated!

20 Likes

This is something I hadn’t even considered, but it makes so much sense. Genie will drive the plan, and Genie plus will say, “if you don’t want to wait in that line, we’ve got LL for you!”

Please also know I don’t mean to throw shade about MaxPass and the DLR app. I can’t imagine the complexity of a program that does what TP does, and also has to factor in the pace at which LL are being distributed in order to predict best use of LL, when you should grab one and what that return time will most likely be.

Feels like you are working against multiple uncertainty principles as us little particles move through the parks.

3 Likes

I’m in the same boat. I LOVE TP and will never go to these parks without it. However, if you don’t tell someone there’s an issue then they don’t know what to fix.

I’ve always considered Genie+ to be something I’ll use in conjunction with a personalized TP - the same as I did with FastPass. Until I see something different, I’m treating my Genie+ / WDW planning just like how I did when FPP/Maxpass used to operate. I’ll have a TP and a strong outline of my morning. Then I’ll have a TP to help guide me through the park the rest of the day, based on standby queues, picking up whichever G+ selections I can along the way.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the real issue isn’t the program / app. It’s that they are charging for it. If this was free we’d all be hyped to play with it.

5 Likes

100% agree with everything you said!

1 Like

So, I am not sure I am understanding this correctly. Lets say I have a LL reservation for Big Thunder at 8am, use it at 8:15. Can I then get another LL reservation or do I need to wait until 10am? The faq seems to indicate as soon as you use one, you can grab another. So theoretically in my above scenario I could grab an 8:30 for a ride and potentially keep doing this all day and end up using 10-12 LL at MK in a full day.

I was worried you could only get a new LL reservation every two hours. I am correct with my above logic?

2 Likes

Yes you described this correctly. You can get another LL as soon as you tap into the existing one. The 2 hour window comes into play only if when you get your reservation, it is only available for a time slot greater than 2 hours away.

4 Likes

Thanks Jeff. One follow up. If you get a reservation more than 2 hours from now: lets say it is 9am and I grab a 1pm Splash Mtn. At 11am can I get another LL and hold two at the same time?

2 Likes

Yes that’s correct. You could even have 3 or 4 at a time if the first one is for 5-6 hours in the future, and so on.

1 Like

I actually wonder if they will release them that far out, or whether they’ll use drops of passes?

Back when they first announced Genie, didn’t it show wording like “passes next available at 3pm”? Or am I just mixing up the DLP system with Genie?

1 Like

If you do any weekend testing of this, I’d love to see the Twitch stream make a comeback so I can see how this works.

5 Likes

Not in batches, but in order is how it has been described so far. So, like DL. So, they’ll be available until they are gone for the day.

1 Like

I think it’s kind of garbage to have to buy 4 genie+ passes for a family with varying heights, how are you going to lightning lane with rider switch for example? What do you do with the rider who can’t even go on the higher height requirement ride? Can I buy just 2 genie+ passes and trade who wears the bands?

The whole point of 2 at a time was to help with this. I could get a pass to meet mickey for the little kids and a pass to ride big thunder for the adults.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m wondering about these logistics too with a family of three little kids. I want to know if we can rider switch with the ILL purchased rides… Does someone get to ride twice or is someone riding alone?

3 Likes

Great info! several of my coworkers were all discussing their “questions” about it tonight, so I’m glad I had this to reference to them.

1 Like