GCV question

For the fun of it, I wanted to see what kinds of point costs and availability there might be for a trip to DL, staying at GCV.

Booking something at 7 months is likely not going to happen. But I noticed a curious thing…

According to the DVCHelp availability charts, it shows that availability opens up in some earlier months at 1 to 3 months out. See here as an example…

Is there a way to plan around this? Maybe book a cheaper hotel an hope availability opens up just before the trip?

No, not planning anything now, but was curious in case someday we do.

1 Like

This is always a good option.

Ask me about my hotel reservations vs my DVC reservations for Marathon Weekend.

Actually don’t. It’s very tangly and 'splody.

But that plan would work, as would having the option to be more spontaneous and just grab what you see and supplement with hotel as needed

1 Like

I think that this data is based on the previous year and a year ago was super squishy with DVC reservations. I got 4 nights at BCV with under 30 days notice back when holding was waved. You would need to be really on it right at 30 days.

1 Like

I am at GCV right now using OKW points. I lucked out and was looking right when booking reopened in April or May this year. I booked two nights and later wanted to add a third. I was super lucky and the day I needed (11/9) opened up on 10/31. We had the night booked at DLH and could cancel up to five days ahead.

GCV was closed during the bulk of the pandemic so the charts must be based on pre pandemic data. I don’t think they reopened until May or June of 2021.

3 Likes

Notes about GCV … laundry (for a studio) does not appear to be free. There is a space for a refrigerator similar to WDW studio villas, but ours just has a small drinks fridge. We’re on the ground floor and the landscaping outside our patio made us feel like we were at Yosemite. At night though, we can see the lights from some of the DCA rides. I imagine that on upper floors the park view is pretty great. The proximity to DTD and DCA cannot be beat! And the place is gorgeous. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

It’s going to depend on your flexibility- both with dates and room size. I booked a nearby hotel and then stalked the DVC site. Since it was a trip-within-a-trip, I could take any day within the first week of November. At about 3 months 1 night in a a 1-bdrm popped up and then six weeks later a 2-bdrm for 2 nights. We really didn’t need a 2-bdrm but we wanted the 2 nights. Waitlist wasn’t any use- these were rooms I found just by repeatedly going to the site. But yeah, booking could be tough.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking.

If we are to do a DL trip, it wouldn’t be for a few years, but I’m just starting to play around with what it might look like considering our points. If we can eventually get something booked on points, that would be ideal, but I get that with the 7 months limitation, it might not be likely.

2 Likes

We were put in an accessible room for our stay last week and it had one of those all-in-one washer/dryers (not stacked- just one machine that was supposed to do both functions). It was ridiculously slow. Gave up and paid $3/load for the laundry room just to get it done. Older posts said I could go to the front desk for “tokens” since I was staying on points but it was 5 am and I was in my pjs so I just paid. It’s all by credit card so not sure how they would do it.

1 Like

Stalking the DVC site is very effective. I have snagged 3 different single night stays at WDW in the past month by checking in at least once a day. I’ve seen longer stays open as well but that’s not what I was going for. Once I put the dates in (random) I can expand the calendar to see what if anything is available. I assume you know what I mean? For example, I selected a date, resort, room type and this showed wait list only and when I expanded the calendar I found a night available for the room type I wanted.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I’ve been doing - sometimes several times a day!

3 Likes

I confess to several times a day too :roll_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I’ve grabbed dates and then modified when I found a better one. I’m checking off some bucket list items :clap: :clap: :clap:

3 Likes

This is all good info. Thanks one and all.

2 Likes