Gaming the system

What if you stay at a moderate that sleeps 5(POR), then the 2 yr old could sleep in pack and play. I think under 3 doesn’t count against number in room. No magic band, no park ticket.

2 Likes

I second the idea to look at the Disney Springs hotels. They can be less expensive and a few seem to have specials often. There’s one special (I think it was just for MouseSavers readers, but the newsletter sign-up is free so I don’t think that means much :slight_smile: ) that just expired where you could get 25% off rates, free resort fees, a room upgrade from a Chic to a Captivating room, and a 1 pm late checkout at the B Resort and Spa. Sign up for the MouseSavers newsletter to get emails about similar deals.

You probably already know this, but under certain conditions guests of some Disney Springs hotels can get EMH and 60 day FP+ reservations. See here for more.

GL!

1 Like

Why exactly does Disney charge an additional room fee for those 18 and over?

This isn’t just a Disney thing…it is a standard hotel thing.

I’m sure part of it is just to make some extra money. But there are likely practical reasons as well that it is standard practice. Whether or not the practical reasons apply in any given situation is not really going to change the practice.

1 Like

Speaking as a bitter single person, given that Disney charges per room and not per person. where a room includes breakfast, I’m getting ripped-off because I’m only eating one breakfast, whereas others may be eating four.

I’m staying for one night at the Contemporary. It is by some margin the most expensive hotel room I’ve ever stayed in. I strongly suspect it will not be the best hotel room I have ever stayed in. Disney takes full advantage of its monopoly position. I’m sure the hotels are making very good money. I wish they paid their staff a fairer share of it.

None of which is to say that I think you’re wrong about the OP. I think the strongest case is the legal and safety aspect of room occupancy.

Do any DIS rooms offer a free breakfast? Don’t think I’ve ever seen that at Disney, but I might have missed them…

And away from DIS, obviously you just need to eat twice as much at the buffet to break even. :rofl:

Other than at Disney, I exclusively stay in dog-friendly hotels. (For which I often have to pay a premium.) I used to feel bad about ordering a second breakfast for the dog (usually just sausage and eggs) until I realised that I was paying the same as a couple would do — and they would have no problem ordering two breakfasts.

It’s true. For the price of ONE NIGHT at The Contemporary, we can get almost an entire week at a rental house. Two years ago, we stayed in a four bedroom house (two of them master suites) with 3 baths, two living rooms, a full kitchen and dining area, plus play room with a pool table, etc., and a private swimming pool with a hot tub. We paid $700 for 6 nights.

For my birthday — in April — I’m staying two nights at one of my favourite hotels in the world. I’m staying in the best suite — it has a living room and bedroom, a huge rooftop terrace with hot-tub, floor to ceiling windows throughout with stunning panoramic views of the sea. It’s half the price per night of the Contemporary, and the price includes breakfast and three course dinner served in the room.

our-own-balcony-withthe-midland

1 Like

The only time I’ve seen free breakfast offered is with some UK packages.

It actually means instead of getting free dining they get one QS meal a day, which can actually be used at any time although they don’t actually spell that out so much in the advertising.

1 Like

@Marianna…I’ve had success finding last minute rooms on Trivago at reasonable rates. Have you checked out that website or any other discount hotel website?

Thanks @Phil_H_Magic I haven’t but will take a look!

I know others won’t agree - but sometimes you need to improvise. Since this is a single night - I don’t have any moral concerns about everyone cramming into a single room if that is what works. Yes it will be tight - but you got screwed a bit and now you need to just do what you can.

I don’t know if you are driving, getting a car, etc. However if you are able to stay off site - I am sure you will have MANY more options. If you are stuck ON SITE. Find what you can - everyone suck it up and get a room (if you can get two great)

@Marianna1230, have you found a solution? I was just reading my MouseSavers newsletter and saw this and thought of you: “Rates from $139, FREE Parking, FREE Wi-Fi & More at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton in the Walt Disney World Resort!” The lowest rate is for a 1 BR suite. This hotel has FPP and EMH privileges. There’s a link in the newsletter to book at the special rate; let me know if you want more info.