Galaxy's Edge at Christmas

I haven’t really been following what’s been happening with Galaxy’s Edge lately. Will someone who is at the parks over Christmas need to get a reservation for Oga’s or something else in order to get into the land, or is it likely to be walk right in and wait in the big line for RotR?

SWGE hasn’t needed to use “Boarding Parties” or reservations since opening. You can just walk right in.

However, with RotR opening in December and the high crowd levels the week of Christmas they may become needed. You’ll probably have a better answer after 12/15/19.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s kind of what I’m afraid of, and I’m thinking it might be too late now to get reservations for anything in the land to guarantee entry if it fills up.

1 Like

I’ll be there the week after ROTR opens. I have Oga reservations for all the days I’m planning on visiting. Just in case.

3 Likes

That’s probably why I can’t find a reservation, thanks a lot

1 Like

In all seriousness, since I’ve got your attention and I know you’re planning around Christmas time, do you know what time the MK fireworks are? They aren’t listed on the schedule right now. And they say park close at 10PM which seems crazy (but not impossible).

I’m looking at an after fireworks dessert party with a 9PM time. I assume that is supposed to mean fireworks at 9PM and then party after that. Do you know if the dessert party times are ever adjusted after they are booked or if the fireworks are normally at 9PM and then they may/may not extend hours and have a later fireworks show?

Thanks!

Last year, they were at 10:00 pm…and the two days of New Years Eve there were two showings of the fireworks in MK. Not sure it is guaranteed to follow the same this year, though.

Why 12/15/19?

I think the 9 PM is just check in time. For instance last week, our after party check in was at 8, but fireworks were not until 9…so my guess is fireworks for you will be 10

1 Like

That makes a lot more sense for Christmas Eve. But even still, I’m not sure if I would choose the fireworks and dessert party over getting in line for Space at 9:59PM and getting in one last ride. For someone who’s never ridden it before.

1 Like

It’s just my guess. My reasoning is that there will be a boost in DHS attendance that first 10 days RotR opens. (It opens on a Thursday. So you’ll get the “premiere” crowd + that weekend and the next full week.)

If they use Boarding Parties, which I’m not sure they’ll actually need, my guess is they’ll use them that first opening week and Christmas / New Year’s week.

While I feel confident in saying there’s plenty of interest in SWGE, I don’t think it will ever live up to the expectations that Disney put on it.

Personally, I don’t think anyone will have enough data until late January / early February. The holiday crowds are not indicative of “normal” operations.

2 Likes

Thanks for the thorough explanation! I’ve scheduled HS for December 18 and 20 and will just go with the flow.

1 Like

Probably because that’s a week after RotR opens, so there will be some actual “data” to look at…

2 Likes

Sometimes I think Disney picked their dates knowing the original hype was not going to pan out. The dates they chose them lets them place blame on external factors to keep the hype going. I might be giving them too much credit though.

1 Like

No. I’m only doing MK on MVMCP nights.

1 Like

I know nobody knows for sure at this point, but let’s speculate a little and see what everyone thinks of this plan.

In general, using Pandora as the example, I believe that if you aren’t going to be near the front for rope drop, the best way to go is to head to Navi River first for a very low wait and then get in line for FoP after when (hopefully) the initial RD surge has waned a little and should be a little lower wait. Does that sound right?

I’m thinking (and TP wait estimates seem to agree), that the same might be expected for SW:GE. If you aren’t going to get there very early to be in the front of the pack at RD, it may be better to get in line for MFSR first and then go to RotR after. TP estimates right now for Dec 25th says that plan will save 15 minutes overall. Technically, it suggests waiting until later in the day, but I don’t know if I believe that wait times will drop significantly later in the day for a new attraction on Christmas Day. I think to be safe I’m going to put SW:GE as the RD destination and make MFSR first just to allow for them not showing up as early as they should and not holding their spot in the pack like we all know how to do.

1 Like

I’m in agreement with your assessment. At least, hypothetically.

1 Like

I know, there’s no way to be sure, but SW:GE is the biggest priority that I was told is their Must-Do, so I’m giving them a full day in HS and leaving most of that day for doing Star Wars stuff. Straight to SW:GE at RD, they hopefully can ride both rides and check out the land and then ride Star Tours around 12:40PM. After that, I’m sending them to see the Path of the Jedi short film, Galaxy Far, Far Away, and then over to launch bay for a couple hours to look around and do the character meets. By the TP estimates, that will fill most of the time until a 7:05PM ADR at HBD. After that, I’ll send them to Toy Story Land to ride TSM and look around. If the line isn’t long for AS2 or SDD they can ride those while they’re there.

We are planning to do SW:GE on Dec 12. Hopefully it won’t be too crazy. Plan on early to RD for RotR and then MFSR. Then eat something at Ronto and Milk Stand. See as much as possible at GE and focus on star war activities close by. We got SDD FP+ for 6:00 then we lucked out with Oga reservations for 7:20 pm.Hope to finish up with JBJB show. I know TP doesn’t recommend this way–they recommend doing RotR around 4 pm–but I am hoping it will all work out. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

2 Likes

I’ve actually got a plan for DHS on the same day!! This is my “Star Wars” day in DHS after RotR opens. I’ve got another day planned for the other DHS attractions -

There’s some chunks of free time in it, but I prefer to have extra time in case of delays or distractions - Maybe it’ll help you compare your day.

https://touringplans.com/plans/print?id=3720875

2 Likes