Future of Chat and the Forum

Don’t worry, Liners will always find something new to be dramatic about. :wink:

5 Likes

With all due respect, that is easy to say when you personally prefer the forums.

Not quite true. It is easy to find questions to answer on chat versus digging through pages of forum posts. Yes, you can sort by latest but you have to specifically be looking for questions to answer instead of just noticing one while scrolling by.

Yes, it has some great uses such as Private Messages and recording trip reports. I don’t think that anyone is saying that the Forum is not useful.

Personally, it is hard navigating through something designed for a computer on my small iPhone screen. It isn’t the end of the world but it does make it less convenient.

The Chat feature is very useful. Many users didn’t initially accept the forum due to a bad rollout strategy, not because it was a bad system. I have also seen several “forum” users make comments about “non-forum” users that aren’t exactly welcoming. Typically the first thing that people see when coming to forum is LaCava since the daily thread is where a lot of people hang out. While it may be fun for some, it is a bit more craziness than others like to experience.

From everything that I’ve read from Len it appears that he always planned on keeping the two. Why do you want to cancel it so much when it is helpful to so many?

4 Likes

Good morning everyone and thank you for bringing this up for discussion.

I’m not a heavy user of chat or the forum but I like both for different reasons. I’m also a Facebook liner as well. I think chat is good for those spur of the moment Disney questions that need a short answer. Kind of like dialing 911 for help.

I prefer the forum for everything else, especially since there aren’t space limits. I access the forum once or twice a day from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using wifi without any issues. The formats of both chat and the forum work equally well for me.

I don’t ask a lot of questions because I can find the answers readily enough on the forum or from other sources (like UG). I won’t respond to a question already answered if I feel like my duplicate response doesn’t add to the conversation or previous responders answered better than I could.

Have a great rest of the day everyone!

1 Like

Initially there was one place for Touring Plans subscribers to ask questions and exchange information: Chat. Now there are two, and the “Liner knowledge” is essentially split in between them, which is not a good thing.

Also, this division has created a faction mentality in some people which has resulted in unnecessary bickering and drama - when there was only one area, we used to play together somewhat nicely…

1 Like

I think both have their uses.
Personally, I have zero-interest in the 'lacava" or whatever the off-topic place is called.
I’m interested in WDW info.
But for those who like it, that’s cool for them & I’m glad there’s a dedicated place for it. :smile:

I was mostly off of here from Oct-Dec.
I half-expected to see most users move to the forum once I ventured back earlier this month.
But I was (pleasantly) surprised to see the chat far more “active” than the forum.
It’s interesting that most of the forum activity seems to be in “lacava”.
The chat is easier, quicker, loads fast, has a great purpose, not meant to be a do-all-feature-laden thing.
And that’s cool.

Already, I’m seeing the “attitude” from forum-types who are annoyed with users who ask questions that have already been answered on the forum (whereas the chat-types are happy to answer again & again).
That’s not cool. But it is what it is. :-/

I confess that I’m not understanding the “kill the chat” attitude, as I believe that chat & forum function in a very nifty complementary way.

It also seems to me that the chat is now much more focused on WDW topics, because those that enjoy the off-topic stuff have migrated to the “lacava”. That might be the best result of all this. Less “noise”, more “WDW” for those that are here for that purpose, but a dedicated place for “non-WDW chat” for those that enjoy it. FWIW, I do hope that chat remains moderated.

Very glad to see that whatever data/resource issues chat had seem to have been dealt with.
I hope both chat & forum stay around, but if I absolutely had to choose one… keep the chat.
Because there are so many other forums out there for those who want one, whereas chat is unique.

Fortunately, it appears we don’t have to choose one.
Go well.

4 Likes

You have unwittingly stated exactly why if one should go, it is the forum that should go. :wink:
If I’m @Len, and I’m not looking to alienate where most of my active customers are… :smiley:

@brklinck, you’re one of the most consistently helpful liners, especially with touringplans, which is why I’m here. And I understand your desire to try to “unite” all of this under one “banner”. I especially understand why (as an IT guy myself), you don’t understand why liners wouldn’t want to gravitate towards a more feature-laden place.

But I think you’re mis-reading what so many are saying about chat, and missing the whole point of why so many love it. Fact is, “chat” is one brilliantly conceived LenTesta concoction, that facilitates & eases communication.

Let it be.
There’s room for both.

5 Likes

I view the main “ambience” difference as: Forum is a bunch of separate rooms and you have to enter each room for that specific information while chat one big room with everybody chiming in. By it’s very structure chat appears more friendly. Personally, I prefer chat, but have found myself not on either for the last few months. There is a place for both. A group as diverse as liners has a many needs and having both seems to be satisfying all, if somewhat diluted

1 Like

[quote=“brklinck, post:40, topic:9251”]
Many existing users will not embrace the change, leaving you with a split system that does not benefit the whole.[/quote]

That’s the key point. I’ve worked on and managed these sort of IT changes for most of my career and some people just don’t like change. They will make some fair points, as all changes involve an investment of time to learn new systems and inevitably some (usually minor) functionality will be lost. However, if the benefits of the new system are considerable, then it’s time to move on. Once the decision is made, then time spent worrying and fretting is time better spent adapting to the new system.

I’ll also note another point that was discussed above that I’ve learned is that you have to give fair warning about significant technology changes. When we changed operating systems or office suites in my school faculty and staff would know long before we touched their computers that change was coming. Those that wished to could preview the new technology and we offered face to face sessions highlighting the key changes. In this case, I’m not sure Touring Plans had time to do a careful roll out of the new forums as they were responding to a crisis as use of chat spiked to levels they could not support, but thought they did more than most would to be clear and honest what they were doing and why they were doing so.

In any case, you’re probably right that as long as there are two different systems, then some people will choose not to contribute to both, for whatever reasons. From a business perspective, however, I’m not sure Touring Plans would want to upset those who hold chat near and dear. If the cost of maintaining two separate online communities is bearable and it’s keeping some subscribers happy, then they’d probably rather keep the subscribers.

3 Likes

[quote=“jec4289, post:47, topic:9251”]
Forum is a bunch of separate rooms and you have to enter each room for that specific information while chat one big room with everybody chiming in[/quote]

This is something that I’ve heard quite a bit about the forums and it confuses me. I uses the “new” and “latest” links at the top of the Forum screen and I see a list of posts from all “rooms”. It’s just like chat is displayed, except I can see the titles of each post and immediately decide if I’m interested in the topic, have something to contribute, or if it’s something I’m not interested in. I don’t have to scroll through page after page to find those topics, nor do I have to read through each post to figure out what it’s about. Then, if I want to return later, I can “follow” the topic, rather than cluttering about the discussion with “sfl” (I’m not saying people ought not do that, as I understand why they do, but it does make it harder to read on chat).

It makes me think that a “training” failure is the biggest problem with the forums right now and those things are hard to undo once people have been using a technology for awhile and have already made up their minds about what it is and what it is not.

3 Likes

N/A.

This isn’t really a case of one system supplanting another,
or one system being upgraded. It’s nearly an entirely different
complementary system altogether, each of which serves similar,
but very different functions for the people who use them.

The system does in fact benefit the whole, as each member uses
features each sees fit to use, and need not disrupt those who use
it for something different.

But your reason for using this tool is different from many others.
And that’s okay. :smile:

FYI, part of the reason for “sfl” is because so many use these features on phones, rather than on computers. Many people will check out links later once on a computer…

…and “chat” is tailor-made for phone use, whereas “forum” is much more conducive to computer use.

FYI, I agree that anyone who posts “SFL” on forum should be (gently) chided & directed to the star at the upper-left of every topic. :wink:

Personally, I feel both have their place and I hope both can coexist peacefully : ) I would not want to “force” the chat people to come to the forum or the forum folks to come to chat.

Chat is unique, otherwise it would not have such a loyal following. I like that Len has left the gate open between the two pastures. Let the horses pick their pasture and eat the grass in either pasture. You can entice folks to come to the forum side with apples and sugar cubes. For someone that grew up with horses, some horses dont like apples and sugar cubes lol and that is okay.

When addressing a chat question, I would have no problems referring a poster to a specific forum post. Or if I was on the forum directing someone to a recent chat post. Now, that might be a little too much trouble but it might be a start.

One of the unique features of chat is no one is judged if they ask a question that has been asked a million times before. I know it can be frustrating when someone asks "what is the link to the BOG lunch “fastpass” but where I might be tired answering that question another poster might come in and answer the question. There is something fun and rewarding about passing the knowledge on. There are some websites that will remain nameless that will rip you a new one if you dont do a detailed search of the databases before asking your question. I would hope that the forum would keep the spirit of chat.

I don’t always need all the bells and whistles that the forum provides but I am very glad that there is a TP forum. Like others have stated, forum is great for trip reports and questions requiring more detailed information. But forums can be a dime a dozen how do we make the TP forum standout and be an awesome place to hang out. I tried to get into the is DIS boards but it can be sensory overload.

Like others have stated, chat is clean and simple to use. Responses are brief and no sifting through tons of past posts for specific info.

If I have access to my laptop the forum is easy to read and navigate. But I don’t always have access to my laptop. If chat went poof today, I don’t agree that majority of the people will come to forum (JMHO).

1 Like

Pre-forum, my use of chat was largely influenced by the time frame of any impending trip. Usage increased as trips approached, and waned as they occurred and passed. I did find that Chat was very good for the occasional “fix” in those long, long months (years) between trips. When the forum was started, I was resistant. But, I found the community to be very welcoming and the topics interesting and varied. I used Chat during our trip for in-park discussion, but didn’t find it all that useful, honestly. Now that we are 2 months post trip and floundering in Non-Countdown Land, I haven’t been on Chat or the Forum in weeks. I may find myself looking for my Disney Fix in the months to come and I will, most likely, turn to Chat and it’s immediacy to the parks. I do like the Forum, but, I just can’t keep up with the daily posts.
I would really like to run the Wine & Dine Half in November-- If I pull that trigger in March, perhaps that will spur me to seek some like-minded Disney souls here.

2 Likes

Aww, come on, you can say it. DISBoards. Now, wasn’t that easy? :wink:

Just don’t say it three times, or you will summon one of their Admins…

4 Likes

LOL! I should know better not to sip a beverage while reading posts… I just snorted my drink all over the place :slight_smile: Ohhh Disboards. Totally off topic but I do watch their weekly podcasts. I find it odd that when they reference their sponsor they make it sound like they are not part of Dreams Unlimited Travel.

3 Likes

Really? I had no idea forum was so hard to use on a phone. I’ve never used it any other way. Hmph. Learn something new every day.

3 Likes

It really must depend on your phone? I have all sorts of trouble on mine

The only time I had trouble on my iPhone 4S was when I accidentally had the forum in desktop view! Yikes! I couldn’t figure out what was wrong with it. Then I realized that I needed to choose “mobile view”. Once I did that, it was back to the user friendly view.

I like them both. But if something is “better”, I like to think of myself as willing to invest the time and energy to adapt and learn. I have spent considerable time with both systems and I don’t see forum as a replacement for chat.

i totally agree that folks with long thoughts and trip reports and general chattiness should bring that over to forum. I also think it’s great for people post planning questions in forum. I have done it myself. I search the forum for my answer first. If I don’t get an answer, I have posted my question.

More often than not (not every time though!), there is pretty much silence.

So I have jumped over to chat, posted the question and bam within one minute, I have an answer. If I need some expansion on it, it comes in right away too.

I am not trying to throw any stones and I hope enough of you have read my posts to know I am not into that kind of thing. But if chat isn’t causing all the bandwidth problems from the past, I would leave it alone.

And anyway, how in the heck will I find @KeliJ and even @niter when we are there in March without it? :laughing:

3 Likes

Hmmm. wonder if I am doing that? I will go check @scrapper1617

1 Like