Future FPP Speculation

Don’t worry, optimizing MaxPass will fulfill your spreadsheet needs.

It technically allows for you to be spontaneous, but who would want that?

I had a whole system of which FPs to get, in which order. Each ride has a slightly different FP distribution profile, and rules are complex enough that it pays to have plans.

4 Likes

Another way to think about it is that there will, potentially, less people in the FastPass / MaxPass queue because of the cost. This would mean the regular queue will move so much quicker.

2 Likes

Hmm. I wonder how many people would pay for it. I think a higher proportion than at DLR.

1 Like

So I guess resort guests would lose another perk.

5 Likes

I don’t think Disney would offer a paid option without a free alternative, they haven’t done it anywhere yet - and they get a lot of goodwill from offering a free option.

Even though FP makes the average line longer, people are usually not that upset about it. The whole experience of the FP sensor turning green and you being allowed to cut the line is very psychologically satisfactory and everyone gets to feel it at least a couple of times every day. Even when waiting on standby you don’t get bitter about people “cutting the line”, because it could have been you. Making it 100% paid would make feelings much more complex.

Something like MaxPass, where you pay for some advantage looks much more likely. FPP+ already sells advantages, it is just hidden as an onsite perk.

But exactly MaxPass seems unlikely. On that system you are just paying for convenience - being able to use your phone instead of having to walk. WDW guests are already able to use their phones for free, and going to a physical kiosk is so antiquated. So it is interesting to think about what it could be. Maybe having something like free MaxPass + offering some FPs for sale (DLP sells FP packages for top attractions, besides having free FP available).

2 Likes

Personally, I would pay for it.
WDW borders on a “once in a lifetime” trip for our family and so it’s just adding on to the expenses.
But if its an insurance policy to ensure that in the little time you have, you get to do what you spent a pile of dough to do then there’s little choice.

3 Likes

Ahem. I actually rather despise FastPass because of how much slower it makes the standby lines. I’m SO happy FPP is gone for the moment. I expect it will return in an alternate form eventually. But in the meantime, color me happy. :slight_smile:

That’s just it. It is almost ENTIRELY a psychological benefit, not an actual one. What little benefit SOME people might manage to tweak out of it doesn’t outweigh the massive amount of pre-planning it forces upon the guests.

My fear of the paid option (which to me is almost a certainty) is that it turns a trip to Disney even MORE of a pay to play. You might pay $100/day (give or take) to get into the parks…but if you REALLY want to do everything, you have to pay X amount more!

I’d rather see Disney keep the FPP, or a paid alternative, dead, and instead rely more heavily on upcharge events like After Hours to draw in higher revenues.

5 Likes

You were already paying more than $15 a day for the onsite premium of booking FPPs early, it was just hidden. Since it is not sold separately it is hard to pin point how much of the price is that, but comparing Good Neighbor prices with their non-GB equivalent we can estimate the value of early booking at around $20.

Whatever system replaces FPP will probably come with some sort of onsite perk as well.

2 Likes

Me too! But it is not a popular opinion.

And it didn’t make me immune to the psychological satisfaction of the light turning green. It is a huge dopamine kick. Getting a FP in the app is also addicting, it feels like winning a game.

Because of the drop times and system quirks, FPP did make me wait less on average - but at the cost of making the experience slightly worse for most park goers.

3 Likes

I’m the sucker that pays for club level FPPs, as well as parties and outside hour events, and parties within parties, etc., so Disney pretty much knows I’ll be opening my wallet!!

8 Likes

That’s what I was thinking, that for a lot of families it is once in a lifetime so more will be prepared to pay up, whereas DL is more of a locals park.

1 Like

Yes but I’ll still be staying onsite and I doubt the price is going down. I hope there would be some kind of advantage though.

3 Likes

Exactly, and you’re not alone. I wouldn’t be surprised if more than 50% of guests pay for it.

2 Likes

That’s going to be key. Without an actual advantage, I see no point in staying on property if I have a vehicle at my disposable (which is generally the case). Cost of staying on property is so astronomical compared to staying off site that for us, even the 60-day FPP wasn’t enough of an incentive…but it was effectively the only incentive. With that gone, wonder what Disney will do that gives on-site guests a deserved leg up.

4 Likes

I don’t like driving over there so I’m willing to pay the extra to stay onsite.

1 Like

Off-site + ride shares is both cheaper and more convenient than onsite with Disney’s transportation. The worst I had was waiting 15 minutes after leaving DHS.

I guess for MK it matters to not have to take a ferry/monorail/walk to the Contemporary. But the wait is low enough that you might arrive ‘home’ earlier than with a Disney bus.

1 Like

Yeah but I also love being onsite, we get free dining - though that will probably be gone now - and I am in love with POFQ, I just can’t imagine not staying there. If I felt like they were really taking the mick though (more than they do already!) I’d go offsite.

1 Like

I mean, that’s how it started out. Park ticket gets you in but you have to buy ride coupons if you want to ride.

Disney is good at coming up with ways to make people open their wallets! No matter how much money a person is willing to spend on Disney, they will find a way to capture every cent :yum:

2 Likes

I would think most liners would like the same FPP system to come back because in my opinion it gives all of us a huge advantage because of the knowledge and information here that most visitors do not have.

2 Likes