Fun question about tipping 🍿

I always tip a very high percentage of the check when my family eats out because we don’t order apps or alcohol, and we have six kids, one with a food allergy. The waitstaff typically needs to do a lot of work for my family in terms of refills and napkins and food safety. A static formula isn’t going to work.
Mind you, if they are rude about our child-heavy dinner party, they will get the standard 15%. I don’t have it in me to tip less… but I won’t tip more.

I wouldn’t feel obligated to tip heavily if I was getting dessert and a cup of coffee. I will require very little attention.

2 Likes

In NZ servers make a living wage and this is a moot point. However, I will admit to getting much slower service there but it’s also island time.

1 Like

I tip based on my quick mental calculus weighing time + effort + cost. So I agree it is nice, though not mandatory, to tip a little extra if you are using a table for a long time but not ordering a lot of food. Same if my kids leave a mess or if the server goes above and beyond. I never punish a server for bad service, though they may not be getting as much as they would if they had been nice.

I also agree living wages would be great. I always try to tip generously because people who serve you are putting up with a lot more than people do other types of jobs, mine included. Even if they were getting a living wage I would personally still tip. (Not saying everyone has to feel the same way.)

The only people who have it worse are probably call center employees, and in that case I try to be just really cheerful and polite, and leave a good rating if there’s a survey, since there’s no mechanism to tip.

3 Likes

My grandmother-in-law used to tell us about how she once left a nickel for a tip. (This was long ago, but even back then a nickel wasn’t much.) I guess the service was atrocious, and she didn’t want the server to think that she’d just forgotten to tip. She wanted him to know that she had a very low opinion of his work.

I my experience she was generally a good tipper, so the service must have been really terrible! I never did get the details, though.

As to the OPs question, I can understand the argument for a larger tip, but realistically I probably would do what I always do. Like @bswan26, I tip based on how good the service was and the total amount of the check, excluding alcohol. Oh, and if my kids made a particular mess I’ll generally bump the tip up. (Like that time that DS knocked over a glass and it shattered on the floor… I felt awful! The restaurant was super nice about it, but I’m sure it was annoying to deal with.)

2 Likes

My favorite tip story is when I got tipped $0.01 on a $69.67 bill, for a total of $69.68. It was a credit card tip, so they took the time to write out the tip and total and sign their name to it. I worked at a tourist destination (Mackinac Island) where we got a lot of guests from different countries with all different topping practices so I was as used to get no tip as I was to getting exorbitant tips, but to get .01 was a first and only for me. I wasn’t mad- I laughed about it and I still laugh about it. If it’s funny later, it’s funny now, right?

5 Likes

I waited tables all through college and beyond. It is very rare that I tip below 20%. For horrible service it may go down to 15%, but not below. If we linger at the table for a while after eating I will generally throw down another $10 or $20 to compensate for the time. If all I get is a dessert and a coffee, I’ll probably leave a $5.

It has been over a decade since I’ve worked in a restaurant. I worked in 4 different restaurants, all some type of pizza/Italian food. When working a dinner shift I don’t think I ever made less than $15/hour (and that would have been a slow day during the week). At one of the restaurants I made $40 - $50/hour.

My best tip ever was $100 on a $30 check. It was my birthday and my parents came in to see me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

12 Likes

I totally get DFB’s point and yours. For me, the deciding factor is likely one we won’t ever really know. So popular ADR locations actually get walk ups? In theory if I only eat for 30 minutes, I will be vacating the table and making room for someone else - but at the most popular restaurants will there be someone else? Do they really actually tell walkups to hang around in case something opens, and would there be enough time to seat and flip before the next time slot?

On my next trip, I plan on booking late dessert and cocktail reservations as a way to stay in the park later. I plan to tip a bit more to compensate for the fact that I will likely be their last table and won’t be order a full meal.

My mom was a waitress. It was common practice in her day to leave a $.01 tip with or without an actual tip to indicate you were dissatisfied with something. So a $15 tip means they were happy or fine. A $15.01 tip meant they were unhappy, but also don’t want to leave no tip.

3 Likes

I helped to finance college as a server, so I generally tip 20%, more for great service. But I am also very tough on a bad server.

But the point that I want to make here is that in a horrible economy for service workers I significantly overtip. A couple of dollars extra per check isn’t going to prevent me from paying my mortgage. Generous tips at Disney for a server overall for all other table and guest interactions in the course of a month may make that difference.

Also, when I was there in Sept 2020, Dec 2020, and just this month I tipped the MDE guys, bell desk staff every time I used baggage service at resorts, and housekeeping $20. Every interaction. My choice, not saying anyone has to agree with me. But service workers are living on the edge, and have been at risk of this disease disproportionately in the last year.

I’ll go back to regular tipping at some point. But these people deserve a living compensation, especially since we couldn’t be happy at Disney without them.

17 Likes

That’s fascinating! Even more interesting is that I got that message loud and clear without even knowing that :joy:

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

Well said!:clap:

2 Likes

When my in laws were living, they would pay for dinner but leave very little tip, $1/person or so. Tipping wasn’t part of the culture in their homeland. I was so embarrassed by them. After the first time it happened, I had tip money in my pocket every time we went out with them to eat and they paid. I would be the last one to leave the table and after they left, I would slip the tip under my plate as I left.

We ourselves don’t normally tip on take out. But during the pandemic, we have tipped very generously on take out. They are not making as much as pre pandemic and they are risking their lives to be at work. I hope to stop doing take out so often in the very near future.

4 Likes

DH and I have eaten out more in the last year than we normally do in a decade. We’ve opted for small businesses every time for similar reasons. And, since they have far fewer tables, we’ve tipped generously. It is such a sad situation.

3 Likes

We have have decided to go to HBD just to eat cake. All the cake though, 1 of each kind and maybe 2 of the grapefruit cake. And will have to try the grapefruit cake martini and a Cobb salad so it’s actually going to be a “real” meal. It very well may be our first time eating in a restaurant since March 7th 2020 so they will get a great tip.

5 Likes

You people are not tipping enough. It’s shameful.

6 Likes

LOL no. By that logic me going as a solo diner I should also give some enormous tip because I’m not eating as much as a table of 4.

In response to your post about the $16,000 tip, if I won the Lotto I would totally go to places and leave ridiculously large tips for great service.

2 Likes

Anyone remember that old Nicolas cage movie, It Could Happen to You? Used to be a favorite of mine. I need to watch it again.

3 Likes

I work on commission so sometimes I spend 3 hours with someone and make nothing. I wish those people would tip lol