FP+ System Changes now in effect

Cancellation fees are $200 for package and one night stay for US residents if you cancel inside of 30 for package or 5 for room only. Different for UK residents I believe.

I have a 77usd night booked at fort wilderness this summer that we wonā€™t use (overnight, anyway). Iā€™m not that disappointed at this loophole closing tbh, we are going there to collect magic bands, go kayaking, swimming and get two days free parking at the parks. Worth more than the 77 bucks on a day when weā€™re transferring from one off-site resort to another and want to chill out.

2 Likes

hopefully they will be held for 2 days if you make another on property reservation or cancelled if you donā€™t

That would be an easy way to stop the leading reservation loophole.

It would seriously impact any split stays, including a lot of DVC members who piece together stays at different resorts.

There are other ways to stop them, but it depends on whether Disney have enough incentive to do it.

They could also simply cancel all FPs if you cancel a reservation, regardless of when. And then make you rebook.

Can I just check why you think this will impact DVC members in particular? Weā€™ve been members for 16 years and I canā€™t see anything in this which I believe will affect us?

This should be a benefit to those who are legitimately staying on-site for their trip, since it means more opportunity to get the 60 day (+) FPPs.

I had toyed with the idea of getting a room the night before our off site stay (at a Disney Springs hotel most likely) for the 60 day rolling window, but had finally decided against it and instead just book an additional night at our rental house. Weā€™ll only have 30 day FPPs, but so be it.

Anyhow, given this change, the hotel idea would have been pointless anyhow. Iā€™m actually relieved they are doing it. I feel it is overall more fair.

9 Likes

Itā€™s quite common for people to book late on and piece together a stay. If a waitlist doesnā€™t come through, theyā€™d have to use their back-up room for a night and so on.

Split stays amongst guests to WDW arenā€™t particularly common. Disney doesnā€™t even recognise them as such, and packages make it harder to book them.

DVC owners one group that do use them to a significant degree, thatā€™s all. We have the over-ride in place for ADRs for a reason - they recognise it is something worth doing for our benefit.

Weā€™ve done plenty of split stays and waitlists, but from what I understand these wonā€™t be impacted by the changes anyway. In the case of waitlists weā€™re just replacing one on-site resort with another (well within the two day window) so our FPs would be safe. Split stays at DVC resorts are already fine as itā€™s a continuous on-site stay, with tickets that cover the duration. I really donā€™t see any issues, at least not for us.

There arenā€™t. Or not that we know of. Yet.

The point was, (I think), that in order to close the leading reservation issue, that could be one solution. So could changing the cancellation period to 61 days. Or a more involved method.

1 Like

Sounds like my FPP will be okay. I want to make them at 60 days with a 2 day leading reservation, the first day of which I may need to cancel. I knew I wouldnā€™t be able to rebook the BWI room, so thatā€™s why I made the leading reservation at the Hilton at DS, so we could adjust those dates once I figure out what my kids are doing. The FP will all be during our stay at BWI so they should stick.

Right?

I think Disney should close these loopholes. 60 days FP is a perk of staying onsite. Its a bummer if your plans change, but the truth is that you booked FPs with the onsite stay and if you give up the onsite stay, you should have to rebook your FPs with the masses. For those who want to get a throwaway room - I think thatā€™s fine. If you pay for the room, you get the perk for those days you are in the room regardless of how you use the room.

I thought I read somewhere that the practice of booking and cancelling was being used by outside Disney tour operations. I could see an enterprising business using that aggressively. Make multiple MDE personas, book FPs at 60 days on spec., cancel the reservations, keep FPs, have sought after FPs to sell as part of your Disney tour package. If they donā€™t get used, the tour operator can release them or just let them expire. What do they care, it didnā€™t cost them to get the FPs in the first place. If enough of this was going on, it would be a serious drain on FP availability. I donā€™t know that this was happening. . . but I remember following a link to an outside Disney tour operator that promised skip the lines on anything you want. How they could promise that was beyond me.

8 Likes

As far as we know.

But people are finding new things they have closed which werenā€™t in the article.

1 Like

What are the rules for modifying reservations? What if somebody books 10 days on-site to get 70 days out booking for FPP then once they hit 30 days they reduce it to only one day?

2 Likes

Well, I have a few weeks to figure it out, pray for DAH, or spring for paid fastpasses so thereā€™s a back-up plan, of sorts.

1 Like

I would imagine they would lose all their FPs except for that one day.

1 Like

Or what about the special club level FPP. I wonder if anyone was ever gutsy enough to book club level, pay for the extra FPP, and then cancel the club level reservation.

That was always a cancel CL, the FPs get cancelled.

Okay, didnt know that.

And there are further possible developments folks ā€¦

I have seen reports that split stays now have two windows. It could be a glitch, someone over on the DIS found he could only book a day at a time for an onsite stay. Thankfully that changed back to normal.

Having split stays as separate reservations, coupled with insisting on re-booking if you want to drop nights, could get rid of the leading reservation loophole though.

Iā€™m not ready to call this one yet though. It could be a glitch, or it could be it is not intended and will be remedied. I say watch and wait on it for a few days.

Anyone got a split stay booked with a window approaching?

Have you seen it for yourself? Iā€™ve just seen the one report and Iā€™m not a member so canā€™t ask questions lol!

1 Like