FP+ and Rider Swap

So my FP day was yesterday, and I was super pumped that I got everything I had planned. Now, after reading another board, I’m thinking I have made an error. There are four us who have FPs-me, husband, and two kids (3 and 6). One kid is tall enough to ride all of the rides at 44 inches but the other kid is not. On some of rides like FOP and Everest, I only secured two FP—one for the tall enough six year old and husband. My thought was I wouldn’t get a FP for myself because I would just RS and ride with the six year old. Should I have secured me a FP also? If i don’t have a FP, will they not let me RS? That doesn’t make much sense to me since the three-year old would eventually end up with a FP that he has to use by himself. Let me be clear, I am not trying to beat the system and add a bunch of extra FP so I can get the best rides. For example, when my husband is riding Space Mountain with the six year old, I scheduled my three year old and me, Tomorrowland Speedway. My thought was I can ride TS with the three year old and then RS Space Mountain with the six year old. Is that not going to work? Freaking out a little bit thinking I may have messed up our FPs.:grimacing:

1 Like

You should be fine. There’s been a few reports of people have trouble, but what you’ve planned is allowed. You just need to go confidently to the cm at the entrance to the line and tell them you want to do a river switch and be prepared to tell them who will be in the 2nd group to ride (you and 6 yo). When they ask if you are riding with fpp tell them you are. This is to set the return time for rider switch. If you go to them and start asking if it is allowed, that’s when you’re more likely to run into problems. If a cm isn’t sure of the rules, they’ll likely defer to a confident guest.

3 Likes

You should be fine. You could bookmark this just in case you have issues:

https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney.go.com/question/new-digital-rider-swap-everyone-party-need-fastpass-go-fp-373883/

1 Like

Definitely bookmarking this!

Thanks for the replies! I’m going to keep everything like it is and fingers crossed it will all work out. If not, it’s not that big of a deal. As long as my kid gets to ride, then I can live with it.

1 Like

Unfortunately Mom’s Panel is not official word in spite of the name. And they have been known to be wrong on more than one occasion.

2 Likes

You will be fine. Only the first group riding need a FP.

5 Likes

This is how I booked mine as well! From the threads here and the mom panel I believe that is correct. We get there in 3 weeks!

You will be fine. A perk to the RS is can use it at any time. (you can only have 1 at a time) So if the 3yo is napping or distracted with something else, you and the 6yo can go back and ride it. It gives you more flexibility than a FP. I don’t feel like it is cheating the system, because you not getting the FP left it open for another.

I’ve definitely done this before.

It’s actually the way it’s supposed to work… RS is there so the short/scared child doesn’t get punished for not being able to ride. If they make the RS parents use their FP for the RS ride then they are essentially taking the ability to use FP away from the short/scared child, which would be a punishment as well.

1 Like

Yes, you’ve done it correctly!! Some people interpret this as “cheating the system” by I think that’s silly. ESPECIALLY when bloody FOP takes at least an hour with RS. What the mess is the non-riding kid going to do that whole time?!? At least if you can book another set of FPs at NRJ you can fill some of that dead wait time for them. We used this strategy a ton with my family in February. Worked just fine!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your replies! I have spent countless hours (probably too many) planning and getting our FPs just right and to think I had screwed them up had me in a panic. You have all eased my mind.

3 Likes

Yes I recognize that they are not the final word. I do think if she was questioned about FP it would be helpful to be able to show a CM why she did what she did. Which is why I linked the article.

1 Like

I was going to ask the same exact question tonight. Does this still apply if it is just myself, my husband and my 20 month old who can’t ride any rides with height restrictions? I plan on getting a FP for FOP for myself and Expedition Everest for my husband; Slinky Dog for myself and TOT for my husband; 7 Dwarfs for myself and Space Mountain for my husband. I am nervous to do this and a CM not allow us to do rider swap with us both not having FP on these rides. I would hate for a CM for refuse us and then I’m not sure what we would do. Thanks for clarifying if this will worth if there are just 3 of us :slight_smile: I had ask this question on a FB group and a few people said no you cannot do it this way. You all need a FP. Just don’t want there to be any issues. I assume if a CM would give us a hard time that we could beg and plead or ask for their supervisor :slight_smile: thanks y’all

Thanks for sharing! Can you update this thread on how it went for you when you get back from your trip? Have a great vacation!!

1 Like

Don’t ask them, ask us! :smiley:

It should be fine the way you’ve planned.

Thanks for sharing. I am saving this in case we run into any issues. I feel like Disney CM’s usually go above and beyond for guests so believing we won’t have any issues with separating out our FP’s for rider swap

Haha thanks! That’s why I was going to ask in this forum. I felt like I was a somewhat seasoned Disney world goer but I have Learned so much here…especially as it relates to rider swap and obtaining more fast passes

1 Like

Will do!

We did this in May and worked fine. I booked FP for myself and 6 year old. Dad would get the swap and I’d watch our twins. Worked perfectly. One point they didn’t even scan my husbands band! We are headed down tomorrow with a group of 8 adults (with 2 older boys) and 3 toddlers. I literally set up every ride to include a rider swap so everyone will get to ride.