FoP & motion sickness (yes, another queezy question)

Can anyone compare FoP to the Forbidden Journey at UOR as far as motion sickness? My husband felt awful after FJ. It’s a tough call whether he wants to try FoP because if it makes him sick, he’ll feel bad the rest of the day. These rides look like they might be similar in a lot of relevant ways, so I’m hoping for BTDT experiences. Thanks.

The older I get the more sensitive I have been to motion sickness on rides. I do tend to feel sick after riding Forbidden Journey (I still ride) but I have never had trouble with FoP.

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s helpful! He’ll never got on FJ again, that’s for sure. I went first (child swap) and made the mistake of telling him I thought he’d be OK… I was wrong.

And also, yes to the age thing. I’ve never been as sensitive as DH, but I think I’m going to catch up to him. Some carnival ride that was like astro orbiters on steroids did me in at a local fair last summer. I was out of commission of the rest of the day.

1 Like

I have been on both rides and am susceptible to motion sickness. Forbidden Journey was much worse for me. It almost ruined the rest of my day. FOP, on the other hand, made me slightly queasy but nothing near as much. I believe what helps me with FOP is that they blow cool air in your face to simulate the flying. Also, about midway through the ride your banshee lands for a moment and I use that time to look around and it helps settle me a bit.

3 Likes

stocking up on my ginger chews. sadly I can’t do star tours anymore. …I do have a fast pass for it in 2 weeks. may have to let DH go by himself

1 Like

Oddly, the first time I rode Forbidden Journey was the worst–I felt nauseated for hours. It’s been a bit better on subsequent rides–not sure why.

1 Like

Me either! It was the absolute worst for me. I spent the entire ride praying it would end.

2 Likes

Forbidden Journey made me want to die within seconds, I was so nauseous. By the grace of god I did not throw up.

FoP made me mildly queasy but I was fine - better than Star Tours but worse than Soarin’ (which has no ill effect on me).

1 Like

I’ve never ridden FJ, but FoP was terrible for me. Star Tours gets to me a little bit, but I will never do FoP again (which is too bad, because it’s a cool ride!).

1 Like

FJ is 10/10 on the barf bag scale. It has the screens, but it also moves the passengers around A LOT…almost upside down sometimes. Eye closing works for me in some rides, but it isn’t quite as effective in FJ since the chairs have so much movement too them.

FOP is a huge imax screen, and the passengers are sitting on something akin to motorcycles, which tip a little in various directions, but are otherwise stationary. In FOP if I start to feel a little queesy I can just close my eyes and it helps. Also taking off the 3D glasses helps if I need it. I would give FOP maybe a 3/10 on the barf bag scale? Not as bad as Star Tours, not as bad as 80% of the rides at Universal. Worse than 7DMT or SDD. I am very prone to motion sickness but I can usually ride FOP once or twice without it ruining the rest of my day.

6 Likes

Thanks everyone. This is quite helpful. He can’t do Star Tours either anymore, so that’s another good comparison.

1 Like

My wife had motion sickness issues with Forbidden Journey, but did not have issues with FOP. Of course, everyone is different.

1 Like

I haven’t ridden but curious b/c ST ruined my DH for the rest of the day. New plan is to do any iffy rides late in the day. If you’re using FPP I’d book later in the day just in case.

1 Like

Reminds me of the Modern Family where Phil thought he had gotten too old for the rides. He was so happy when he realized it was the flu.

1 Like

Too funny. Unfortunately for me it is just getting old.:joy:

Daily Bonine is a lifesaver for me, flying, cruising… and Disney! Only rides I won’t do are MS:Orange & Teacups.

1 Like

I do have my FPP for end of our touring time on our last day. :+1:

I get nauseous on a plain old playground wing but had NO problems on FOP or Soarin. Loved them both! I totally thought I was going to lose my lunch on Star Tours though. Ha!

3 Likes

Ugh, I’m not going on Mission Space no matter what colour it is. And the kids aren’t getting on those darned tea cups unless they want to go it alone. Or if Grandma’s around. She has an iron stomach, but sadly isn’t joining us this time.

1 Like