Flying Southwest alone with young child

I’m not sure how that makes the plane faster, and I’m sure there are speed limits in the sky!

I’m not sure how picking a seat yourself will get it in the air any quicker or change which flight someone would book either… Not do I think it would cause them to run more flights. But I know next to nothing about aviation. Someone I work with bought a plane this year. Her family runs a flight Tech maintenance business… Though they got out last year because… Well you don’t get into business with family! That’s the extent I know!

1 Like

I’m sure it is an easy thing to do.
I don’t fly much, but my observations of our situations is that our companies all seem to allocate seats together… if you book 2 seats, they will be together where possible. Sometimes you might split over the aisle if a bigger group, or have 2 in one row and two in the row behind for example. You can pay for the option of choosing your seats, or just take what’s been allocated. Our plans are all small 3 3 configurations, so I never worry about moving my seat… And even being near the bathroom isn’t too bad. Short flights and no one wants to use it!

Most, if not all, airlines do allow you to pick your seat. It wouldn’t be hard for Southwest to add the feature. But, it’s not their business model. Such is life.

Southwest seats are in groups of three- window, middle and aisle on each side of the aisle.

Do most american airlines allow you to pick your seat for free or only if you pay? Our airlines are more expensive than american ones and if you wish to pick your seats in advance you have to pay extra unless you are flying business class or higher. I think one of the airlines we used did a courtesy 1 parent with the child and on the other we had to pay for seat selection for each of us.

Yes, most do allow you to pick your seats in advance with no extra payment - Southwest is the big exception. However, your choice can be limited if you do not have elite status or if you are unwilling to pay an additional fee for more desirable seats. Additionally, several airlines have introduced cut rate tickets with no seat pre-selection and no carry-on bags.

1 Like

Most of the majors have tiers now in their seating. Preferred seating, towards the front of the plane, anything with extra room like exit aisles, they charge more to choose those. The rest of the plane you can typically choose your seat for free although I’ve had flights where they couldn’t/wouldn’t assign seating until check-in 24 hours prior to the flight. The discount airlines vary quite a bit in the US on how they handle seat selection.

I think SW is unique in that there is no reserved seating. From a loading perspective - I think Mythbusters did some tests and it matched SW. When you think of it, SW loading is less likely to have folks in middle seats early where people need to climb over them for windows etc. which likely helps some loading efficiency.

1 Like

You will be fine! Did you purchase Early Bird? If so, SW will check you in and you will likely have an A position. If not, make sure you are ready to check in exactly at the 24hr mark, you could still get A. There are (in theory) only 60 people ahead of you, depending on how many have pre-board privilege-wheelchairs, unaccompanied minors, etc-so you shouldn’t have an issue.

I will check in precisely at the 24 hour mark. I’m not paying extra for Early Bird.

I may never fly Southwest again. There is no substantial cost savings when you add in all their up-charges.

Southwest is actually my favorite airline. They board faster than other airlines and give many perks. You can cancel at any time, up to 10 minutes before with no penalty. You can change your flights as many times as you like, get credit back if the flight is offered cheaper. 2 bags fly with each person for free. When I book other airlines, I am frustrated that they want me to pay to change my flights. Other airlines seem so rigid in that. Southwest is very popular, you just have to know all the ins and outs to make your trip successful. We have been flying them (mostly free as they have a great rewards program with free flights) for years and I have never not been able to sit with my kids. But…if there is a concern, $15 per person to have early boarding is well worth it to me. Baggage fees on every other airline will cost you more than that.

1 Like

Never not being able to sit with your kids gives me even more hope. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You will be fine! Just check in right at 24 hours, not a minute later and you will be in great position.

1 Like

I flew Southwest about 6 months ago. Get your boarding passes as early as possible or pay for the early boarding. I saw many people boarding with young children in the C category and people do not move to accommodate. I had a stare down with a mom with two small children in tow and then had to say to her, I’m traveling with my child(10) and do not want to be separated. I paid for internet use on my cruise just to get early booking in section A. For my flights, there was no consideration for “FAMILY BOARDING”. And get to the terminal in plenty of time. If the plane has arrived they will board early and if you lose your spot, you lose it. That was my first and last experience with Southwest. Good Luck!

Where were you traveling from? @ajrm1128
We will be checking in at exactly the 24 hour mark, and getting to the airport at least 3 hours prior.

I think some of it also depends on what time and date of your flight. When are you going? EDIT: nevermind, I saw you’re going over Easter. But what time are you looking to depart?

Personally, I found the early-bird thing to be a great experience. My flight was the first one out in the morning in September, and when I sat down, I sorta concluded I didn’t need the early boarding, but being guaranteed on first so I could pick out an optimal seat was pretty great.

However, coming back home I saw much more value in the thing. My flight was at like 3-4PM and the flight was at capacity. So being able to again board early so I can pick out an optimal seat was fantastic.

If I would go again, I would definitely shell out the extra $30.

Not that I’m trying to defend Southwest, but what other up-charges?

1 Like

Philly to LAX and back. The family boarding was for children 2 and under and only 1 parent. Then handicapped get to board, then category A. Of course you can try and speak to the attendants at boarding. I went online 24 hours to the dot and got A seating to LAX and B seating back to Philly.
Even though you are traveling with a child yourself, be prepared to get the stare down, some people are that rude. LOL

to MCO 4/18, Tuesday, Around 11am.
from MCO 4/22, Saturday, Around 3pm.

Family Boarding does guarantee you boarding position between A&B, per their website. Early Boarding doesn’t guarantee you Position A. Early Boarding is offered to anyone willing to pay for it - it isn’t limited to any amount of seats. Basically meaning, you could pay into their Early Boarding program for $15 per person one way and still get Position C. You can upgrade your boarding position at the gate for an extra $30-$40 per person one way - this will get you Position A1-A15 IF it is available. Which I don’t need, but irregardless - another upcharge.

For me, the big question remains - will they do Family Boarding at MCO?

@Randall1028 the up-charge I speak of is the Early Boarding/Upgrade at the gate fees. So what they offer free bags. I can pack both of us in one suitcase for a trip this short and pay $25 JetBlue advance (or is it $20) ticket fees and still be $5 ahead - AND be able to PICK my seat. Now of course, the caveat is, I couldn’t get Jetblue airfare for this particular trip at an affordable price which makes my argument a bit void. :slight_smile: This trip was a bit unexpected with not much advance notice.

I’m starting to realize that a lot of this is boiling down to principal for me. Airfare is already an arm & a leg and all the “extras” just make me crazy. LOL

@ajrm1128 I could care less if people give me the stare down. And if anyone is paying enough attention, they’ll realize that we are travelling alone and not a huge group of people. They can go pound sand. I will more than likely speak to an attendant at boarding. Southwest Family boarding policy is aged 6 and under.

1 Like

I believe the SW boarding says that families “may” board - I do not interpret that as a policy or rule . You may disagree, but I believe it is written that way on purpose.

I am editing to add: everyone here is trying to help. I have a SW credit card and fly them a couple of times a year. Many of us have seen unsuspecting families have a very negative experience . We are trying to give you the information so that that will not happen to you!

Please understand that although a flight attendant may try to help if some crazy situation (and most likely we are all worriers and nothing will happen) but a flight attendant will not be able to insist that some one that paid extra (by buying early bird) has to give up a seat for someone that decided not to purchase it.

I hope you have a great flight and it all goes well!

2 Likes

It has been twelve years since we have flown Southwest (when my oldest girl was a lap child). I am shocked and amazed that an airline would make you pay all kinds of extra fees so you can sit next your kids (read…protect and comfort). Flying can be scary for kids and sitting next to strangers is just unacceptable. I am not sure my 10 yo DD could handle sitting next to strangers. Last summer we sent our 12 yo DD to Hawaii to stay with her grandparents. She flew as an unaccompanied minor. I was kind of freaked out about this as I read a story of 13 yo being bothered by a man on a flight. Fortunately Alaska airlines would ensure that she only sat next to a woman (and luckily we found out a family friend (a mom) was on the flight and would keep an eye out for her. She had a great flight and loved that she got free food and digital entertainment since she didn’t have a credit card. At the time she was already 5’9" and very mature and responsible for a 12 yo (not like my 10 yo who acts a lot like a 7 or 8 year old)

Bottom line…I agree, insist that young children sit with parents regardless of what you have or haven’t paid. Don’t know if Alaska is an option but if you and your family sign up for mileage then “your bags fly free” (you each get a free one). They also have a companion fare once a year for credit card holders and this is a deal for flights $500 or more.

1 Like

YES!!