Flabbergasted- F&G 2021

She has a flash sale twice a year if you sign up for emails. These will undoubtedly go on sale on her site at some point if you really would want one… (my husband gave me the Minnie Mouse earrings from this collection for Christmas this year. They’re totally cute.)

3 Likes

Ooooooh thanks for the tip! Can always count on enabling ahem I mean good ideas from liners :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I ran into this when I got my Silver Spira. A guy, with his wife/girlfriend, was in front of me was buying 10 of them each (limit was 10 per person) and each one had to be run through its own transaction. I was looking at a lot of lost time (not the point of this thread, but just solidifying my annoyance).

Thankfully, one of the CMs (there were several in the room) must’ve heard my eyes rolling in my head and brought me ove over to the other register to get one. On the way, one of the other CMs jokingly whispered to me “tell him you want 50 of them!”. When I immediately spun around and said “Hah! That’s what the jerkass in the next room is doing! I’m not insane. I don’t need to take advantage of people on ebay for a souvenir.” his eyes bugged and glanced back where i came from and was like “Really, they’re doing that??”

It was a fun little exchange with the CMs after that, lamenting that people mass-buy things.

But as much as I lament it… I don’t honestly care. Two reasons:

1. Unless it’s toward the end of the promotion or festival, the likelihood you’ll get the item you’re after is still really really high. Disney orders a LOT of merch for reasons exactly like this. The biggest problem is actually getting caught behind these people in line.
  2. Disney takes away its own merchandise even when it’s fairly popular(no hoarding buy out required). I nearly missed out on my prized Epcot hoodie because I decided to wait a day to buy it. They had them in the back, it was just time to “rotate stock”. I also missed out on my CoP t-shirt thinking it’d be available all week of my trip. And when that happens, I have little to no chance of ever seeing the item again. So at least if people mass buy them, I have a better chance of finding it later. Sure there’s a mark up, but at least it’s available.
4 Likes

I’ve been learning to buy it when I see it even if it means I carry it around all day. Especially now with the lines to get into a store. Oh course that rule was BEST applied when you could send stuff back to your resort. I think they have started sending things up to the front of the park again. No confirmation on that yet. hmmmm maybe I’ll ask about that today? :thinking:

4 Likes

Yup. After the hoodie thing, I learned: don’t wait on anything if you want it.

It’s why my “park bag” exists and goes with me, even if it’s empty all day. If I get something, I can dump it into there and not worry about it for the rest of the day

4 Likes

I’ve learned the “If you really want it, get it then” thing from the cruiseline. Because they only have a limited amount of storage space so there it really is “when it’s gone, it’s gone”.

I really wanted some Holiday themed merch from our trip in December. I had already planned out and budgeted for what I wanted to get. I didn’t think it would be a problem because our trip was before Chrismas. We got there and I couldn’t find the items I wanted, so I asked one of the shop castmembers and she told me they had been sold out of those for weeks. That means it was sold out in November! I was a little dissappointed, but not enough to spend three times the price online. I know they sold out because people bought them for resale, not because tourists were buying them all :frowning:

I have been thinking about getting the Minnie’s Main Event Peter Pan’s Flight ears from Amazon, but they are only five dollars more than they would have been if I had been able to buy it when they went on sale. The only thing stopping me is the thought that they could be knock offs.

1 Like

They have two. One is where you get a stamp for eating certain things at different food booths, and at the end you can turn in your stamps for a free dole whip in a souvenir cup. For the other, you look for Spike the Bee, and put a sticker of which plant he is near (or something like that) in each country. You can turn in the stickers for a plate. They’re both cute! The eating one is a good way to try new things that you might have passed up on the menu, and the character scavenger hunt is really fun for kids (and adults too!)

2 Likes

I just saw the eating one today. It was a cute stemless wineglass type. And I think they said it was after trying all the plant-based foods available. I would be up for the different tastes!

2 Likes

I will say over this past holiday season, one of my passwords was leaked online. I woke up one morning, 2 days before X-mas, to an email from a Walmart in another state advising me that my grocery order was accepted and that my pickup window would be between 6 and 8 that evening.

WHAT?

I called my bank and cancelled the card. Then I went and looked closer at that email. I signed into my Walmart account and saw someone had indeed ordered a couple hundred dollars of cleaning supplies and paper goods, multiple cereal boxes of the same 3 brands, 2 racks of ribs and one bottle of BBQ sauce.

While the ribs and BBQ were obviously being bought for consumption, I suspect that the cleaning and paper goods were being bought to re-sell on Ebay/Amazon/Nextdoor/or similar. Obviously making money off of my stolen account because I had saved my cc info to the website previously.

Well…if I wasn’t going to have the pleasure of enjoying the ribs, they sure as hell weren’t either so I called that particular store as well and notified them that a thief and re-seller would be there to claim that order and they might want to save the video footage of the car that comes to claim it to hand over to authorities.

5 Likes

Yikes! and what a pain is caused by this kind of thievery too; having to cancel accounts, call banks etc. It eats up time on nonsense and add stress. I’m sorry, but it sounds like you did all the right stuff! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unfortunately they don’t care. The police can’t be bothered because they consider it a “Civil Matter” and if the dirt-bags are stopped from getting the items than there aren’t damages and it isn’t even a civil matter then.

2 Likes

OH yes… but… some banks will not refund your money unless you are willing to file a police report. They want to see if you’re serious and not possibly trying to get out of paying something. My daughter (works for bank 15+ years) confirmed this.

3 Likes

Ugh. I didn’t even think this way.

I did make a promise not to buy items off of second hand sites unless I can help it, especially food/cleaning/paper products.

And of course, like I said earlier, Disney unless I can’t find it anywhere else.

2 Likes

That was me in 2019! By the time we arrive on December 9th, merchandise was already 2020. I wanted a MVMCP ornament and a Holiday of the Festival shirt with the Chip and Dale. They were all sold out. I was upset.

I was ticked off at Disney for not making enough. Maybe people bought a ton for resale but I haven’t been able to find one single online!

3 Likes

Thank you for reminding my why I refuse to store my credit card on file!

2 Likes

Disney could stop this tomorrow if they wanted to. Just make more stuff. It is limited supply that leads to hoarding. A few people who really really wanted XYZ and couldn’t make it to Disney that year, would buy it for 3X online. But if XYZ was still sitting on the shelf? Most people would just buy it from Disney. Then the hoarders would lose money and stop.

1 Like

This was the case for my PM shirt. I saw it in the parks, but not in my size. I looked all over, asking CMs. At WoD, a CM even went to look it up on the computer for me and found it was ONLY available in Tomorrowland. Back at MK, I checked there and asked CMs to see if there was more in the back, which they did, happily, to no avail. I was able to find the shirt by a reseller online and secured it that way. I didn’t get my AP discount, but I got my shirt.

One could argue that if the lady hadn’t bought it to resell, it would have been available in the parks…but it also is just as possible that it would have sold out to someone else.

As a someone who is into Disney pin trading I offer a different perspective on some of those people with piles of merch. Some, not all of them, are doing “at cost” or close to " at cost" pick ups for people who can’t be there.

Several people were in the pin forums offering to pick up F&G pins at cost + shipping and maybe +$2 or $3 to make it worth their time. It is considered a favor to the community. There is a guy in Paris who does pin pick ups 100% “at cost” and ships them all over the world to pin collectors. They must hate him at the stores (he buys hundreds of pins) but he is really very generous.

I also belong to a Facebook group of Disney shoppers. They do pick ups at cost, plus shipping, plus $7 for up to 5 items from a store. Sure, they make a small profit, especially if they use a discount, but they still get people the merch for close to cost.

3 Likes

oh, I can see this being helpful

1 Like