First world problem

Well we are all about feeling superior!! Ha - no. But we want to enjoy the wonderful offerings of London and high tea is certainly on the list. As a whole - we enjoy getting dressed - so that may be a fun outing (although we would certainly be taking the tube from our housing. Although I did read a need a coat and tie - although I don’t mind wearing one - I think packing is somewhat limited. THANK YOU

So what is the “proper” time for tea 3PM?

Getting there is very easy - it’s a 20-minute train ride from London Euston station to Watford Junction, and then a bus ride to the studios. Go to https://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk for all the info.

Traditionally it was served around 4ish to fill you up until a late dinner. But really it depends on what you are doing for the rest of the day, my last one I had at 4.30 but had had lunch previously and that was actually the only time we could book. The Ritz tea I had at 1 after a late breakfast and before a matinee show. One time in Liverpool I had one at 11.30am and I was pretty much the only person in the place! So really there’s no ‘proper’ time, the experience will be the same.

@k.thorne and @brklinck - is 3 1/2 hours at Harry Potter sufficient?

Ditto on those who said that in two weeks, don’t try to fit it in. There is just too much else to see. That being said, I loved Disney in Paris and have even told a few people that it is a much more manageable first Disney experience for families with young children. They also have some awesome Pixar rides that we do not have here. Crossing my fingers that the Crush coaster makes its way here someday. Completely manageable in one day also.

Haven’t been there yet (going in Sept), but as far as I can tell from my research if you are a big HP geek 3 1/2 hours would be pushing it.

Another question (sorry)

Planning on possibly going out to Bath one day (let the personal hygene comments / jokes start)

From what I can gather the only real option is the GWR train from Paddington. It is about 142 GBP for round trip (2 adult 2 kids). Does that seem correct or high?

We will be getting a Transportation Card for London - is any of that transferable to GWR or not?

@brklinck @k.thorne - so playing off your advise that 3 1/2 hours may not be enough time (unless you are suggesting otherwise). Looking to take a car out to HP studios (~60 GBP) and then taking the train pack. Wanted to take a car out so we aren’t “flustered” or late. Figured if we mess something up on the way back - no big deal.

So does the London Card cover regional rail as well - or do you know if we need to purchase specific tickets that aren’t covered by the Travel Card.

If you have an oyster card you can travel to the surrounding suburbs of London (such as Watford where the studios is) but you cannot travel further out to places like Bath. If you have a paper travel card it’s usually just the underground zones that states- 1-2 is central London the rest are further out. The 3 1/2 hours, is that including travel or at the studios? It could be enough, depending on the queue size (even with a guaranteed entry time you might have to queue, a bit like fast pass) and how you tour inside (whether you queue for the interactive bits, how slowly you tour round, whether you have food/butterbeer) and how long you want to browse in the shop. The studio tour website says the average time is 3 1/2 so I would judge it based on previous experiences, that is do you normally take longer than others at events/museums etc or are you a quick browse and out kind family? I think my friend and I spent 4 hours there but we had food at the cafe before going in, then a hot dog in the middle, and we did spend a good portion of time in the shop. So you should probably be OK. But then I’m not a massive fan.
Re the train price, that doesn’t seem too unreasonable. Train tickets can get fairly expensive here annoyingly. I’m not sure when you’re going but if you’re willing to compromise on flexibility (i.e. locked into certain train times) you can get slightly cheaper advance tickets 12 weeks before travel. But these sell out fairly quickly and might not be worth losing the ability to change your plans if needed

Definitely would NOT do this - take the train both ways. London traffic is a monster unto its own, so you are far more likely to be “flustered” driving.

You both have been SOO helpful.

@k.thorne - I think the “cheap” tickets are all gone and we have what we have - but I will continue to look!

@brklinck - Thank you. That validates my thinking. I think we may still take the car out - as it isn’t crazy expensive and may just be a bit more relaxing but think we will take the train back to london.

So I am thinking of getting the travel card as we will be in zones 1 - 2 the vast majority of the time and then just pay for the train from Warner Brothers back to London. I would assume that isn’t crazy expensive.

Any thoughts are continued to be appreciated.

Ha - sorry - its a hired car (with Driver). I am not getting behind ANY wheel in London.

@k.thorne and @brklinck Hello - sorry

Very silly question. In going to Harry Potter - looking to return by train. Can I purchase tickets at the train station based on when I want to leave or do I always have to purchase in advance. I will be going from Harry Potter back to London. Watford to Eustron. The cost is approx 30 Pound for 3 adult / 1 child - does that seem correct?

Thank you!!!

There are ticket machines all over and £30 does sound about right yes

Thank you for the confirmations!!! We were reviewing it last night etc. And suddenly my wife said “I think this is like taking the R5!” (which is a regional rail around here). Once we made that realization we were much more comfortable with things. So (as I am sure you both were eager to know) we are having someone drive us out to the studio as we have early morning tickets. We’ll stay until we tire of it and then take the train back. To do the “tour” bus was 140 pounds extra. For a private car/driver and the train. 115 pounds plus we can come and go as we please. If our tickets were later in the day we would have taken the train - but paying for convenience a bit.

Thanks again for the help!!!

@k.thorne and @brklinck our thoughts and prayers are with you all and the UK. It is an attack against us all.

1 Like

Actually, I’m not in the UK - lived in London for 9 years, but back in the States now. But you are right, it is an attack against all of us.

well glad you all are ok. Thanks again for all your help. Found out today someone at work is actually going to be in London the same exact days and she lived there for 2 years in college.