First Visit - Navigating the Park (map vs. in-park signs)

Hi all. First time visitor to DLR/DCA in early December. How plentiful/useful are in-park signs to help us efficiently navigate our way from one attraction to the next?

Many thanks!

Ryan

Study a map before you go. DL is close to, but different enough from MK to make it very disorienting if you’re used to WDW. DCA, in it’s current configuration will appear quite random if you don’t have a basic understanding of the layout (it was quite logical when it first opened, but there have been so many changes since then it’s almost unrecognizable in places). Maybe I just don’t notice them anymore because I know all of the parks so well, but I truly do not remember any in-park signage other than the name of the attraction at the entrance.

It’s funny you ask that question, because a big complaint some insiders have about SWGE is that there are NO signs indicating how to get there - anywhere! It’s almost like they designed it to be a secret hideout or something. Everything else in DL is pretty easy to spot and is compact. Definitely study a map.

As @bswan26 mentioned, DCA is the more confusing of the two parks. There is technically a hub but it isn’t in a central location so there is more meandering required. Also, getting from the back of the park to GotG (old Tower of Terror) is deceptively tricky because the direct path through the former Bug’s Land is closed off so you have to go around it to get there.

Overall, it’s not too difficult to get around with a map and some familiarity with where you want to go.

You should definitely use the in park maps and show/event schedule.
Sign postage is minimal. I don’t even notice signs since I know DL like the back of hand because I been going there since the 1960s.

1 Like

When the pathway was open through Bugs Land I found DCA super easy to navigate.

Getting turned around in Adventureland was the scene of my greatest Disney shame. It was dark, I was looking for signs, and I tripped into a women in a wheel chair. She was gracious. I still don’t have a clear vision of how Adventureland, Frontierland and New Orleans Square flow into each other. Study the maps!