First trip to Universal questions about dining

You can spread the components out for as long as you want; they don’t all have to be used in the same meal, or on the same day. So you can do the drink separate from the entree. I do not know where, or if, it is printed that it is now a second snack or a drink, but I can tell you that both my sister and I did it in December, and when they printed out the receipt for us showing our remaining credits, it did show as a drink or snack for the second one.

You can for sure save using the QS dining plan. I’ve used both the regular and the freestyle plans for my 3 trips in the past year. And because I like knowing how much I’ve saved, I keep track of it. So the following are my actual meals, costs, & savings. A few things to note - if you purchase the QS dining with freestyle mug at the dining kiosks using an American Express card you receive a 10% discount on the card. The cost of the dining cards has increased last year, but then so did the cost of the freestyle mug. I was able to get pumpkin juice and pumpkin fizz as a drink, I was told Gilly water also qualifies as a drink. The other specially drinks are considered snacks, though with the change of an additional drink or snack with the regular QS card this may now be a moot question. I’ve never had any issues with cashier’s ringing up the dining plan. In the list below the first number listed is the cost before tax, the second has tax included.

QS plan with Freestyle mug cost with AmEx discount: $26.99 - $28.75 after tax

Card 1:
Entree: Frying Dutchman Basket o Bait combo (came with a regular shake or Buzz cola) - $21.49 - $22.89 after tax
Freestyle $15.99 - $17.03
Snack: Leaky Cauldron: Stickey toffee pudding - $7.49, $7.98
Total: $47.90
Savings: $19.15

Card 2:
Entree: Thunder Falls chicken & Ribs combo (includes a regular shake): $19.49 - $20.76
Freestyle Mug - 15.99 - $17.03
Snack: 3 Broomsticks - Butterbeer - $6.99 - $7.45
Total: $45.24
Card 2: Savings: 16.49

Card 3:
Entree: Frying Dutchman Basket o Bait (includes a regular shake or Buzz Cola): $21.49 - $22.89
Freestyle mug $16.99 - $18.09
Snack: Fortescue’s 2 scoop cup of ice cream (Sticky Toffee Pudding & Salted Caramel Blondie) - $6.99 - $7.45
Total: $48.43
Savings: $19.68

Card 4: cost of the QS dining plan increase to $27.99 after discount. $29.81 after tax
Entree: Monster’s Cafe Perilous Pair $19.79 - $21.08
I haven’t yet used the freestyle mug or snack on this card yet.

Regular quick service dining plan - $23.99, $25.55 after tax
Card 1:
Entree: Leaky Cauldron: Mini pie combination :15.49 - 16.50
Drink with meal: Pumpkin Juice 4.99 - $5.31
Extra drink: Pumpkin Fizz $4.99 - $5.31
Snack: Butter beer $7.99 - $8.51
Total: $35.63
Savings: $10.08

When the regular QS plan was $23.99 I had determined that if your entree was $12.00 or more you would either break even on the plan or end up saving as the average cost of drinks and snacks were around $4 each.

For the QS with Freestyle, I want to say the minimum entree price dropped to $10 for to the mug being $16 and the snack average at $4. I haven’t checked recent dining prices, but I suspect it would be similar.

They do not have to be used on the same day and the cards never expire. I have cards that I purchased last year in April and then used in September. I actually have a few cards right now with components used that I plan to finish up on my next trip, and a few full meal cards.

How often does the plan price increase. It’s currently $25.99 for plan without freestyle mug. If I know I’m going to get at least 2 DP for each member of my family for our 4 days in the park (my daughters and I will be sharing meals), should I buy it now to lock in the price?

Freestyle mug–I actually have one I bought at USH that I’ll bring and activate, but, if I get one for some other members of my family and get it by purchasing the DP w/mug plan with my Amex card for discount, how does that work on subsequent days, when I want to reactivate it? Would I just get the regular DP & activate the freestyle mug, with AP discount separately? Example: purchase 3 DP w/mug first day w/ Amex discount @ $31.49 + tax each. Purchase 3 DP without mug on 2nd day for $25.99+ tax & mug refill for day at $6.99 + tax w/AP discount for $32.98+tax. It costs a bit more but I would get 2 snack credits instead of 1.

Does each card have 1 DP on it or can u add multiple DP to 1 card, so u don’t have so many cards you’re carrying around?

I found a thread on DisBoards where someone posted a pic of their receipt showing “bev-snack” credit Quick service dining plan update! | The DIS Disney Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

1 Like

I’m not sure how often the cost of the plans increase, though I suspect it’s about $1-$2 each year. Since the cards don’t expire you could purchase now for use later.

I believe the cost to reactivate mugs has gone up to $9.99 plus tax per day ($8.99 plus tax for AP holders). You can get the regular DP and reactivate the mug in order to get the 2 snacks.

Each card does have 1 dining plan on it and it can be a pain to keep track of multiple cards. According to the Universal Orlando website, you can add multiple days to your dining plan cards at Guest Services. I’ve never done this as I usually purchase the number of cards that I think I’ll want to use at one time. To keep track of the entitlements on the card I will then either carry a sharpie with me and mark the front of the card with what I’ve used or I’ll wrap the receipt around the card as it will indicate which entitlements are used and which are still left on the card.

In case you were wondering or wanting to add in the tax for your budget, the sales tax rate for Universal in 6.5%.

I just noticed that the price went up. One thing that stuck me was the price difference between with and without freestyle is now $9, whereas it was $6.

I had been planning on getting the w/freestyle version on subsequent days just to get the extra cup to assist in sharing. But, now I think we will get the w/o version on subsequent days and just pay for refills ourselves. Doing it that way we will pay an extra dollar (after the $1 passholder discount), but get an extra bev/snack credit.

We just got back, and found the Q.S. plan worthwhile, although we bought less than I thought we would. We get annoyed by having to stop enjoying the park in order to eat unless it was something special. So, we ate at Mythos on our first full day, then bought sandwich fixings at the grocery that night. We enjoyed pulling a perfect sandwich or chips out of the backpack while waiting in line. Otherwise we had some entrees in the H.P areas, and at Green Eggs and Ham once. For snacks/bev we had every variation of butterbeer, waffle cone ice cream, a couple of Big Pinks and Chili-Cheese Fries (only bad food).