First-Timers Trip Report: August Family Fun Marathon

What a great report and photos!
You really squuezed a lot into those 3 days.

1 Like

Fantastic trip reports @m.kammann!! Very detailed and informative! Love all the photos. Looks like you guys stayed relaxed even though you were touring like pros! You got more out of a 3 day trip then most get out of 4 or 5.
Have you ever done Disneyland Paris? or Europa Park? Just wondering how WDW compares for you.
You really do need to go to Epcot next time. You’ll laugh at Germany’s pavilion as I do at Canada. Disney’s take on all the countries is so much fun!

1 Like

Thank you. Nice to hear. I was really happy, how perfect the mk-plan worked out.
You will see that the 4th and last day had some hick-ups… :slight_smile:

My DW&DD went to Disneyland Paris once. They loved it, but it is diffrent to the “original” .
In America everyone is much more fiendly and cleaner as well. e.g.
This Trip was Girls only though. My DS was not born yet.

We were at Europapark for 2 Days in 2015.
It is a huge, very well made park with a lot of fantastic rides.
Exspecially in terms of coasters. Silver Star for example is huge.
But the theming is nothing compared to disney.

We live really close to Phantasialand
This is a brilliant little park with state-of-th-art attractions.
They cant expand, because there is a problem with the sorounding land-owner.
If you can manage to come, i really recommend this park. Nice theming as well.

We also love and go to Efteling in the Netherlands.
For us, it is a 2 hour drive. Really nice Park with brilliant theming.
Nice attractions for the whole family.
Best of all is the huge, beautiful landscape with lots of flowers and water.

WDW is diffrent, because you know all characters and movies.
That makes the theming extraordinary nice.
Beside of the size of the single parks, it is the world with 4 parks, two waterparks, mall & what? 25 Resorts?.. :blush:

5 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to write up your report–fun to read and very informative. Your family is very photogenic! My husband and I will be going next August and we weren’t sure if the memory maker would be worth it for a shorter trip. You seem to have gotten some great pictures though, so I think we’ll get it. I’m glad you had a great time.

1 Like

That photo of him with his hands covering your faces is priceless. It’s just cracking me up every time I look at it. I hope you make a photobook and use that as the cover shot.

1 Like

I agree with you that happily ever after is one of the highlights of the holiday. I was just expecting fireworks but those projections on to the castle are spine tingling

I think you have some of the best photos ive ever seen on here!!

Great memories for all of you!

1 Like

08/25 Fourth Day: Animal Kingdom….or……Expert touring with some hiccups…

Since the announcement that Pandora will open in May 2017, I planned how to integrate the new signature rides into the touring plan. You know that the best way to experience FoP is to drop rope and get to the park very early. The reserve plan could be to ride just before the park closes.
This applies, of course, especially to poor people who have not received FP + for FoP.
This was unfortunately the case with us, since all FP + were already gone 64 days before.
I was only able to get FP + for Na’vi River Journey.
After the very successful MK day, some fatigue phenomena have already become apparent. In addition, this day was also our last holiday. The suitcases had to be final packed. We also had to go to Miami before flying to Germany.
We did not want to overstate the last day, so a few unpleasant decisions had to be made.
A third time rope drop very early appeared to us too heavy. Instead, we wanted to start early, but In peace and quiet. The next item was the RoL VIP package. Since we had to leave the next day very early, we wanted to use the evening rather to organize our departure in peace.
So we left the option to skip the evening show, although we would get vip tickets.

A sad, but in the end right decision. As a planner, of course, a very hard one.

Rope Drop at Starbucks
We planned to get a good drink and a few snacks of Starbucks for rope drop.
Unfortunately, Starbucks opened at 9 o’clock. For this, however, we have received the wilderness explorer handbook already at the entrance before nine o’clock. This enabled us to start with the flamingo batch immediately. Nice surprise, since I had expected at 10 o’clock with it.
Overall, however, a loss of valuable touring-time.

Wilderness Explorers
I tried to highlight everything I believe we could get.
I think we can recommend to all visitors. This is not an attraction in the real sense but as a guide through the entire park. If you don’t try to finish it within one day – you do as much as you like.
In fact, you can decide at each station if you want to invest a few minutes.
Perfect all-day-experience with very knowledgeable cast members. In addition, a nice free souvenir.

Kilimanjaro Safaris
Instead of FoP, we decided to go for KS. We had an FP + for afternoon, but we knew the animals were the most active in the morning. A super decision, because the first ride on this day was indeed much more interesting than the one in the afternoon.
We all really loved this ride. It is actually like a small safari. We especially liked the fact that you are actually about 20 minutes on the road and the fun is not already over after five minutes.
Here a telephoto is worthwhile. With such a camera you actually feel like on a fotosafari.
It is best to use the camera’s sport setting.
One of the best rides in wdw. An absolut must-see. Ride again to see more/diffrent animals.

After the safari and two other wilderness explorer batches we went to pandora. At least a FP + for the river cruise we could get.

FP+ - Na’vi River Journey
The new land is really impressive. Here you can also find some nice photospots

The river is very well done, but very very short.
In about the same way as Peter Pan. Worth it, but not with a waiting time over 30 minutes.

It’s Tough to Be a Bug!
Very good 3d cinema with great effects. More creepy than expected. Spider phobia is here of disadvantage. The last gag at the end brought my wife to scream and jump.

Meet Flik
Of course we had to meet the host of the show.

DINOSAUR
I wanted to visit dinosaurs absolutely, but otherwise none was willing to come along.
So we had to split up, what this time unfortunately did not work at all.
The plan was that the rest of the family rides primeval whirl in the meantime. Unfortunately, my son was too small, which I had not noticed at all.
Instead of the posted 20 minutes waiting time, i hung in the queue to dinaosaurier a good hour.
The ride was very nice and it is a recommended attraction, I could not really enjoy it, as I knew my family had to wait longer for me than needed.

Flame Tree Barbecue
As a bbq-fan I was really looking forward to this QS meal.
The restaurant is certainly one of the best inpark qs places. Yummy meals & big enough to share.
The outdoor areas offer a beautiful view of everest. It is best to find a place down the stairs near the lake.

FP+ - Kali River Rapids
In contrast to splash mountain only conditionally recommended in our eyes.
The ride is fun and the theming is very nice, but the probability of being completely soaked is very high. In fact it happened to DS & me.
Although it was very warm, I found this very annoying for the next three hours.
Besides, I was just dry for the dinner.
The important things I would put next time in the lockers and bring spare clothes at best.

Expedition Everest - Legend of the Forbidden Mountain

Best and fastest coaster of the worlds in my opinion. This is indeed a thrill ride.
My son had now driven a few roller coasters that we took him with him. But he was a bit afraid.
My DW also.

Finding Nemo – The Musical
This is a brilliant show in my opinion. Don’t miss it.
I think a longer version could be listed on broadway.
I especially liked the fact that the puppeteers were integrated into the show.
Unfortunately, we missed the Lion King, which is also top-rated.

FP+ - Kilimanjaro Safaris (second ride)
This was the original FP+ reservation. Looking back, I am glad to have already experienced it in the morning. In direct comparison to the early morning we saw much less animals.
Without knowing it would have been a great experience. So it was worth it but worse than before. This time our DD was the safari photographer.

Maharajah Jungle Trek
Unfortunately, we did not manage to walk everyt trek.
I would recommend them definitely. Combined with wilderness explorers it is e very huge learning experience.
As the last TS dinner we had an ADR for…

Tusker House Restaurant - Donald’s Dining Safari
For us, this was by far the best meal. Not that we were disappointed, as described, by the other food, but here it tasted really delicious.
There was also a very varied and different cuisine. I would describe it as American with African influences or vice versa.
This time we even made an application for recipes. Has anyone here any experience? We have filled out an e-mail form but have not received anything yet.
The character interaction and ambient is top-notch here, as well.

After the meal we had to make a very difficult decision. We had received the VIP seats for RoL, but thought about prepareing the departure without any hurry.
Otherwise, we would have been at the earliest at 10 o’clock in the hotel.
So we decided to give away the VIP voucher in the restaurant. The first group of four had no interest - the second family accepted thankfully. I hope they had fun.

Meet Baloo & King Louie
One thing I still had on my bucket list: meet one of my favorites: Baloo.

So; wdw ended without the third evening spectacular.
However, it turned out to be right, as we could so calmly prepare the departure.
At least I had little time with my DS to visit the Art of Animation Resort for a few photos.

The next day, we had enough credits for breakfast and snacks.
Dining Plan – in my opinion tatally worth it. Would buy it everytime.

The End.

…Summary / Top Lists will follow….

13 Likes

Thanks for the great report! Your pictures are wonderful.

1 Like

Thanks so much for another delightful report! Your animal photos are simply superb - quite the opposite of most animal photos that I take!:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much. I was suprised myself. I bought the Sony alpha5000 for our vacation.
A really compact beginner´s digital SLR camera with extra telephoto lense.

The camera could not be better; i just studied/practiced a little bit with the help of an book in advance.
I´m far from beeing an advanced photographer.

4 Likes

Summary & Top Lists

Parks:
1.) Magic Kingdom
(THE classic Disney Park. Should not be skipped in any case. The park does not offer the single best attraction, but this park offers the most overall magic by far.)

2.) Animal Kingdom
(Although we had the most touring trouble with this park, we were very impressed. You´ll find a great mix of state-of-the-art attractions, great shows, lots of animals and tasty food. Never-ever a half-day park)

3.) Hollywood Studios
(As described very nice and worthwhile. In direct comparison (without starwars land & toy storyland) however less for the money than the other three parks.)

4.) Disney Springs
(you can’t compare this mall with the parks, but if you have spare time; worth a visit for sure.)

n/a Epcot, Waterparks, Minigolf & Park-Hopping
(It was very sad that we had to skip epcot. Next time this will certainly not happen.
For Minigolf and the water parks the time was missing.
In the sense of the water parks a pity - for Minigolf it was too hot anyway.
Park hopper we did not need - but it had to be booked for the Free Dining Promotion.
For a visit of a week perhaps here and there worthwhile. Also gives more dining options.)

Transportation:
The Disney transportation offers numerous, great possibilities.
If a car is available, I would still drive myself.
Nevertheless I was impressed, how smoothly for example the transport operated after the Happy ever after fireworks (here: ferry)

Memory Maker:
For us totally worth it. Expensive, but worth it. And very, very comftoble.
Big advantage: you don´t need an extra person to shoot the photos, so the whole party can be on the picture. If you pay that amount for a few days, this shouldn’t count.

Dining:

Dining Plan:
Absolutely worth it – for us and only if you have a (very) detailed plan. You have to start planning approx. 200 days in advance (that you can use the 180 days window).
Without ADRs totally worthless – Then I would rather eat QS menus all day.
I think the planning is manageable and helps with the touring plans as well.
I was not sure about it, but would book it again – even without the free dining promotion.

ADRs:
A must. Even without dining plan you would not have any chance for pre-opening breakfasts or the popular character dinners.

Favorite meals:
1.) Tusker House
2.) 1900 Park Fare
3.) Hollywood & Vine / The Crystal Palace
4.) Flame Tree BBQ
5.) Be our Guest
(food-wise / If you look at touring benefits -> No. 1. By far)

Least favorite meals:
1.) Breakfast in general.
Not a Disney-topic as described
2.) Nothing – in the end we were positively surprised by the food quality

Snacks:
1.) Dhole Whip Float (Polynesian Resort)
2.) Starbucks (any drink – any size – anywhere)
3.) Darth Vader Cupcake (Hollywood Studios)

FP+:
Very sophisticated, comfortable system. Because of the fact that it is included in every ticket,
a good planning 60/30 days before arrival is highly recommended.
It makes planning much easier. Best to reserve around noon. This way, the overcrowded time is bridged and allows a fourth/fifth reservation.

Resorts:
We were very happy with Pop Century. Ok, we really only stayed there. Once I was briefly in the pool. The entire planning in advance, which room is the best, was in our case relatively unnecessary. When the days are so full, you only need one bed. An expensive bed also in the value range.

Attractions:

1. Kilimanjaro Safari
  2. Expedition Everest
  3. Splash Mountain / Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  4. Tower of Terror

Shows:
1.) Happy ever after

2.) Fantasmic!
3.) Finding Nemo – The Musical
4.) Beauty & the Beast
5.) Indiana Jones

Characters:
1.) Donald Duck #1

2.) Chewbacca
3.) Drizella / Anastasia
4.) Baloo / King Louie
5.) Chip n Dale

Every character meet & greet was worth it. The cast member do an excellent job interacting with small and adult audience. Big part of the Disney magic in my opinion.

Things we missed:

1.) Flight of Passage

2.) Epcot
3.) Waterparks
4.) River of Lights
5.) Signature Dining

7 Likes

A truly great trip report and pictures. I thoroughly enjoyed every post. Well done.

1 Like

Thanks for the great report and tips! We are going in 2 weeks and can’t wait! I love all of the pictures! We plan to get memory maker too.

1 Like

What a wonderful report! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences & photos. Your family is lovely and it was great to read about your DS4 in particular, because my son will be 4 at the time of our visit later this year. I am so glad you didn’t miss out on the People Mover! I have been to Disney twice (aged 12 & then in my 20s) and have always loved this ride. I am looking forward to riding it with my husband & two children during our December visit. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

@m.kammann fantastic trip report! Really enjoyed reading all of it! With the things you missed you’ve got another fantastic WDW trip next time!!!

1 Like

Thank you very much. We plan to come back, for sure.
Maybe it will take another decade, but we want to come back some day.

A dream vacation would be 4 park days, 1 day disney springs, one waterpark and a day off (exactly 1 week). :slight_smile:

Everyone who could affort memory maker will not regred it in my opinion.
Have in mind, that you still need an extra camera for the characters at (most) character meals.

Have (as much) fun (as we had) at your trip. :blush: