First Timer - What I wish I knew or listened to

That’s a good idea. Even if they’re “packable” rain jackets, they still take up some space. I’m pretty sure we’ve got some of those bags around here, from backpacking.

1 Like

You can also roll outfits into individual ziploc bags and put those in a cube. Not that I would do this because that would be crazy. :rofl:

3 Likes

I never regret taking ziplock bags. Or one kitchen trash bag, rolled up super tight & rubber banded. You just never know when you’re going to need something like that!

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I get down there and I have packed bags inside of cubes inside of suitcases and never even packed clothes…
Silly silly mood this Friday afternoon

1 Like

holy. freaking. moly. That is awesome.

2 Likes

My inner packing nerd may be showing, but here’s a really detailed description by the expert who advised the man in the video. I use this method, packing straight into the suitcase. https://www.onebag.com/pack.html

He also designed a bag to complement bundle packing, called the Air Boss, which my husband has, and never takes any other bags. It’s also really, really tough. I expect it will outlast us! https://www.redoxx.com/air-boss/91018/product I just use a small rolling bag like the one in the NBC video.

That link also shows how to bundle wrap, and use the Air Boss with cubes, for the cubists amongst us!

1 Like

Bundle wrapping is great if you are only going to a single destination where you will unpack everything. If you have multiple stops then it is a pain, as you have to ‘de-bundle’ and then ‘re-bundle’ at each stop.

In general, I don’t like methods like rolling that go for using every cubic inch of space, as that is an easy way to end up with a bag that is super heavy and is more likely to burst open as the baggage handlers [ahem] gently move it about. Also, you have zero room for anything you buy during your trip, and you have to re-pack all of your dirty clothes in the same manner for the trip home.

1 Like

this is what i do and it works great for me

1 Like

mind = Blown

1 Like

Yup, those are all fair criticisms of bundle wrapping. I seldom shop much on vacation, but if I do it won’t be anything I’d trust to baggage handlers & TSA, anyway!

I don’t know if it’s our packing style or our selection of suitcases or the stuff we bring, but we almost always hit the weight limit before we run out of space. In fact, we pack a hand-held luggage scale so we can get exactly 50 lbs. into a suitcase.

1 Like

We’ve started bringing a travel scale too :slight_smile: much better than frantically trying to rebalance at the airport!

1 Like

Just wanted to post. I clicked on this, obviously haven’t been keeping up to date, because it took me to the middle with responses to an “Inactive Profile”.

It made me so sad. :sob: I miss @profmatt and the banter that surrounded his posts. I know he’s on Facebook, maybe I should get back on there. But if anyone is following him, please let him know he’s missed. Perhaps he’ll be ready to return sometime, in time for his upcoming trip.

Edit: found the group.

3 Likes

Come on over to the FB group! It’s full of Matt’s usual verve :slightly_smiling_face: I miss him on here too…

1 Like

I think I might. I only used Facebook to connect with a group a few times, have never posted anything on it!!!