First Timer - What I wish I knew or listened to

This can get a little pricey, though. Some people who like to do the “outfit a day” strategy go with Ziploc bags.

That being said, I am a big fan of packing cubes - I travel every week for work and couldn’t live without them. However, I have a multi-size set and pack similar items in each one instead of going the “outfit” route.

4 Likes

I tried the ziploc bag thing on our Disney trip and I fit so much less stuff in my suitcase packing like that. I ended up taking everything out and packing in piles as usual. Might not be as convenient once you get there, but I fit so much more stuff.

1 Like

I pack each item in a different cube - one for shirts, one for shorts, one for pajamas, etc. I like being able to unpack by simply pulling the cubes from suitcase and dropping them in the drawers. For us, dirty clothes go into the ziplock travel compression bags. That way, they aren’t smelling up my suitcase or packing cubes! At the end of the trip, anything left in the cubes is clean.

4 Likes

I use the same method as I can keep my clothes organized in the drawers, but also easily mix and match outfits if I want. Kids’ cubes are organized by outfit though.

I discovered packing cubes last summer thanks to this forum and they have revolutionized travel for me. We do a lot of weekend trips and by using packing cubes, I can easily pack and organize clothes for me and my two kids in one small suitcase. So much easier than life-before-packing-cubes.

That is another reason why I don’t subscribe the “daily outfit” strategy - you sacrifice capacity for convenience.

1 Like

Does anybody else roll their clothes? I can pack a whole week in a carry on luggage and there’s a lot less wrinkles!

7 Likes

Yup. I reckon it saves space as well as avoids creases.

1 Like

I’m glad I’m not the only roller. :joy_cat:

I saw some cubes at the store the other day and I just didn’t get it. I could pack four outfits in one medium sized cube!

Yay! We’re best friends now. Forever!

I hate you. You’re insane. Crazy person. Mad!

1 Like

You are contradicting yourself. First we’re best friends forever, and next you hate me. You’re the crazy person! :joy:

I’m on the petite side + summer clothes = rolling four outfits in a cube, that is if I had a cube. :wink:

Don’t worry, he’s done the same to me, too.

Between that and his constantly changing his plans, I’m starting to wonder if he’s 100% in the head. But I am not a mental professional! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks for the back up. I’m pretty sure he was teasing, as was I. :blush:

1 Like

:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

3 Likes

I just woke my dog laughing! Ditto what MouseGirl said or emoji’ed. :star_struck: :joy::joy_cat:

1 Like

Yep! Big time roller here. I have to watch weight limits on baggage because I can fit so much in by rolling.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

That is one excellent description of the descent into The Madness. (Mouseness?)

:joy: :kick_scooter: :motor_scooter: :bike: :oncoming_taxi: :blue_car: :metro: :small_airplane: :airplane: :bus: :bullettrain_front: :walking_man: :walking_man: :walking_man: :walking_man: :shinto_shrine: :joy:

<–That was me laughing heartily, then taking my scooter to a motor scooter to a bicycle to grab a taxi to get to my car which I parked at the airport railroad shuttle to get to the prop plane I puddlejumped to the jet before I jumped on DME then rode the monorail to EPCOT where I walked walked walked walked all the way around to the back and laughed some more.

Now, off to :de: to get Schofferhofer grapefruit :beers: for everyone!

7 Likes

This is a big issue with rolling - I have seen many people with overweight bags scrambling at the airport check-in desk trying to re-arrange things to stay under the limit. This is one of the reasons I do not like packing strategies designed to fit more stuff in - the goal should be to bring less stuff, not more. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed … take less … bring back MORE :gift::gift::gift:

1 Like

Nesting cases are a must in our house! With the 4 of us, we usually have 3 cases or bags checked on the way out, and 4 on the way back.

That extra case not only takes anything we bought there, I also put absolutely everything I can into the cases for the return.

For example, I always bring a carry on with a change of underwear, tshirt and swim stuff for everyone. Plus all medications. If the luggage goes missing, it means we’re not spending the next day trying to get new stuff.

And yes, it happened once. We got to MCO, no cases. Joined a queue of about 4 families, all of whom had been on the same connecting flight to London from Edinburgh. BA hadn’t got the cases across to Virgin in time for the flight from Gatwick. And since then my family have never teased me again about my overnight bag packing! :joy:

2 Likes