First timer needs help

Also, I don’t see Ohana in your list for dinner. This is a must do for my DH since we did it last trip.

@mkmuzzy is right about exploring, and Disney Springs. There are tons of great places to eat at Disney Springs. My personal favorite if Chef Art Smith’s Homecoming.

1 Like

I’m worried that I’ve not set aside time to explore the other hotels but I have plenty of evenings that could be changed … if you could only do 1 signature restraunt where would you go ?

I did book the standard dining last time and then cancelled when the package came out. But that’s because I’m OCD with my Disney planning.

You could explore hotels and DS on arrival or departure days, or as a break in the middle of an afternoon.

Yes, go ahead and book what you can, and then change once the packages are released. Using the myDisneyExperience makes it very easy. Not only can you add and cancel there, but if you book for the same time slot, it will do the cancellation of the original reservation as soon as the replacement goes through. It really is very simple.

Also, consider Boma and the Animal Kingdom Lodge, if you haven’t looked at it. It is a great buffet and the animal viewing at the lodge is really nice. (Assuming your 5 year old likes animals…)

A couple of ideas for you:
If your time/budget allows, on your Magic Kingdom days, consider breakfast at either Chef Mickey’s (At the Contemporary) or 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian. They are both character meals. The food is good and it is a fun atmosphere.

Personally, not a big fan of Casey’s Corner (Mainly fried foods, unhealthy and very crowded due to the locations). Our favorites are Columbia Harbor House (great food and a much quieter atmosphere), Cosmic Rays or Pecos Bills.

I didn’t think the food quality and service was that good at the Sci-Fi Dine in Theater. Also we were seated in a vehicle staring at the move screen rather than facing the others in the restaurant. Not a fan of that! Our favorite HS restaurant is Hollywood Brown Derby (this one is a little pricey) or 50’s Prime Time or Hollywood and Vine

2 Likes

That’s a good idea … we will definitely have spare time … I think !!!

Hi … my boy loves animals I did think of this may have to rethink evening meals … all this advice is great :+1:t2:

Thanks for the advice … it’s hard to know what to do so basing my dining on real recommendations will really help … thank you

I would second RobinTrei2018’s recommendation to visit Animal Kingdom Lodge. They have awesome overlooks to view the animals. We preferred Sanaa to Boma but Boma does have more options for kids.

I didn’t look too closely at your quick service choices but these are our favourites:
Columbia Harbor House
Peco Bills
Les Halles Boulangerie
Sunshine Seasons
We don’t really have favourites in Hollywood Studios or Animal Kingdom for quick service.

Hi … yep I’ve going to make some changes but will definitely include Sanaa and a visit to AKL and I’m going to rethink some lunches at MK based on recommendations from here … can’t thank you all enough I’m even starting to feel better about my plan now with these tweeks … since booking the holiday joining this forum is best thing I’ve done :+1:t2:

1 Like

Sci Fi is great for fun and atmosphere!

Since you’re staying at BEach Club, then I would try to get a reservation at Beaches and Cream. It’s an American Diner style place at the Beach Club and is famed for their “Kitchen Sink” ice cream sundae, although they have a smaller version too!

Also the Cape May breakfast is great fun. It’s a character breakfast, and I notice you don’t have many of those planned. Still only 1 credit though.

Both need reservations, even though they’re at your resort.

One tip for arrival day. Assuming your flight lands 5ish, I would suggest getting a bite to eat at the airport before you go to Magic Express. By the time you’ve got through customs and immigration, it could be 90 minutes after your flight lands.

Something to eat takes the edge of what can be a tiring time, so close and yet so far! The boarding the coach and the drive to WDW can be an eternity if you’ve got one tired and hungry 5 year-old. I speak from experience! Even now, with both boys grown up, a stop at Starbucks and then one of the places in the food court is a staple of arrival day.

2 Likes

We were first timers last year, and I can honestly say this forum and the Touring Plans App chat were so so helpful. Keep asking as many questions as you need because it made our holiday magical, no stress at all. You’ve already got a sketch of which days you’re at which parks and you’ve got the meals pencilled in too. Picking the park days is the hardest bit! I like that you’ve put in late starts, but when you’re there don’t feel that you have to do everything because it’s impossible! We didn’t get the water parks in at all but we did have a resort afternoon to relax and easier days with no real expectations that actually turned out to be some of the best days.

I definitely believe in having an idea in your head of which rides you’ll be doing in the parks so you can get FPs sorted but I wouldn’t stick rigidly to a plan. Epcot is huge and we divided it into two halves so we weren’t overwhelmed. We did Future World and half World Showcase one day and Future World and the other half of World Showcase the next Epcot day, then we had another Epcot day to freely tour about and pick our fav bits or catch any bits we missed.

I definitely recommend the TH River of Lights package and MM Fantasmic package, we did both and really enjoyed our meals and got free FPs for the shows, bonus.

Touring hotels is good but again, don’t try and see everything, it really is impossible in two weeks. Booking meals in other hotels is a way of seeing them but it wouldn’t be a priority for me.

Regarding my fav signature restaurant, that’s a hard one. But I think it would have to be Narcoosee’s. A smaller restaurant, beautiful setting, a view towards Magic Kingdom, delicious food and the fireworks music piped in, so consider booking a time to coincide with the fireworks.

I also highly recommend Tepan Edo in Epcot, what a show! So entertaining, great food and it’s only 1 credit. Well worth it.

As Brits we were really worried about the tipping side of things. So before we went I wrote down all the table service meals we would be having and then estimated the most expensive scenario of each meal (ie quick look at the menu chose the most expensive meals added a couple of drinks) and then wrote down 20% of the estimated cost of the meal. After doing that with all the meals I had a figure of about $350. I took this with us in cash and paid all tips at the table service restaurants in cash, it felt like that money was part of the holiday and wasn’t included in our spending money. It worked well for us and having over estimated there weren’t any surprises. In fact I wasn’t far off on my estimates really.

Sorry about the essay hopefully there are some helpful bits there. My biggest tip is don’t make it too stressful, just being there is such an experience. Have a list of must dos and everything else is a bonus. Remember to relax and look around there’s so much to see that isn’t always obvious.

2 Likes

Hi … thanks for the advice. I was worried about the tips too but your idea to deal with them is genius and to think of the money as part of the expense of the holiday itself rather than spending money on the day :raised_hands:t2: tipping obviously something we are not used too unless food and service is excellent but understand way off life in the states

1 Like

That’s a great idea to eat at the airport and one my 14 year old daughter will love as there are lots of places she would love to try with it being our first time to America … Thankyou all this advice is helping me feel a little more confident in my plan

One more thing (for now).

You are staying at a resort with a mini water park for a pool. Make sure you plan some time to make use of it!

If one of the water parks is closed, you could make that a morning at the resort. But even a swim in the evening, or before you set off in the morning is a must for us when we stay there.

Being so close to Epcot you can dip in and out. Stroll in to watch Illuminations and wander round World Showcase in the evening. Or around the Boardwalk. Rent a boat from the marina just outside the Yacht Club. Or just take the boat to DHS and stay on it back to Epcot for a round trip. All these things are right on your doorstep. You’ll love it!

1 Like

Thanks … I’ve planned in a few late starts where we can enjoy the pool in the morning and a few early finishes … plenty people on here have mentioned that their kids enjoy Stormalong Bay almost as much as the parks and definitely less stress … love the idea of the boat trip … all this advice is so helpful Thankyou

I also noticed that you have MNSSHP scheduled for a Wednesday. Historically it hasn’t been held on Wednesdays, If you look on touring plans crowd calendars for individual days it will show you which days are predicted to have the event this year. Also if you search for “least crowded Halloween party” it will show you an article on the best dates for 2017 which you can then use to pick date for 2018.

1 Like

The predicted days are the same as last year, Tues, Thirs, Fri and Sun.

The park hours right now don’t go much further than mid September, and there’s confusion around the 7th to 10th September. I wouldn’t set too much store by them yet.

But the dates are kind of confirmed by at least one UK site who are selling tickets already, as in taking reservations for it. Although they appear to have taken it down now!

I would not do signature dining. I would do a dinner show like Disney’s Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show or Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue. I would also go to Ohana.

1 Like