First timer: Can you OVER plan? How to balance

Gotcha.

I also always modify the TP plans to proceed in geographical order- no zig-zagging for me, either!

I havenā€™t had good luck with setting it to ā€œminimize walking,ā€ so I put in the order I like and ā€œevaluateā€ often- I almost never use the ā€œoptimizeā€ feature. It does help to play with the standard plans a bit to see what wait times are like through the day for the order you want. And yep, I keep a map tab open all the time, too. I set my ADRā€™s/CS to where we are at the time- that may not work for some people but I wonā€™t criss-cross the park for food, either.

To me this is the nicest feature of the club-level fast passes- being somewhat impervious to crowd levels and wait times- people can just set up what they want to see, when they want to see it, and move in an orderly way around the park. I think that program is a huge benefit to people who have a hard time getting around. Itā€™s expensive but might be worth it if a person could avoid using an ECV because of it, or could just visit most things whereas before, they really couldnā€™t.

1 Like

@Tate Yes! I am coming from the US so time/jetlag wonā€™t be a factor. We will be bringing some cheap umbrella strollers (aka buggies) for both to jump in as needed and use it as a ā€œstuffā€ holder when theyā€™re not in it. I definitely know my boys walking limitations and they are TERRIBLE!! Theyā€™ll be complaining by the time we walk down Main St USA. Ha! Iā€™m going to buy 2 cheap Umbrella strollers that can be stuffed under/near our bus seats. Iā€™ve seen the rental companies with nice strollers, but I dont want a huge stroller to bring on the bus. And Iā€™d like a stroller for getting to/from the bus to save their little legs so renting at the park wouldnā€™t work. The less they complain about their legs=the happier my husband and I are.

1 Like

@Pod I assumed the Minimize Walking TP was what prevented zig-zagging. You guys have mentioned 2 of my biggest fears that I am trying to avoid:

1. Being the person with a map open saying ā€œWhere do we go next?ā€
  2. Zig-zagging across the park

So are you saying I should enter the rides I want to ride, my Fast Pass times, my ADRs and breaks, hit GO and then look at a map and modify it because the TP might have me zig-zagging?

@heathernoel Good reminder! I have major FOMO and have to keep reminding myself that Iā€™m not going to do EVERYTHING in one trip. Itā€™s the biggest struggle Iā€™m having!

1 Like

Grab a poncho for each stroller so that when you park them and and go on a ride and a surprise rain storm hits, itā€™ll be covered. And put it on the stroller ā€œbackwardsā€ otherwise water will go through the head opening :wink:

2 Likes

I always start with one of the touring plans, remove the things I donā€™t want, then hit ā€œevaluateā€ and see where I end up. I look at the map, then move the attractions around to make it more efficient, and hit evaluate again. Then I look at the rides with a long wait, and get FP for those. Evaluate again. Start filling in with nearby attractions, breaks and ADRs last.

The touring plans are made for a reason- they typically work pretty well. So I start with one and modify it. The park that is the most trouble for me is EPCOT, what with Soarinā€™ being on the opposite side of the park from TT & Space, and there being few rides to fill in with. The easiest is MK- a clockwise loop starting with JC/POTC/BTMRR/Splash all by 10 with FP for HM, 7DMT, Space is pretty efficient, and there are lots of little filler attractions you can do along the way.

I only ever start from scratch if Iā€™m going at a weird time of day, or itā€™s my second day and donā€™t want to see everything. Thatā€™s when Optimize comes in handy.

1 Like

My method is the same, but I also open up DME to see a listing of ALL attractions and entertainment in the park. If I find something on DME thatā€™s not part of the TP, I will add that from the TP drop-down list or add a ā€œbreakā€ and change the description & time to match. Some of the entertainment at Epcot and AK were like this.

2 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s a good point. TP doesnā€™t have every single thing in there, and some of it may have changed. Also, for some reason it wonā€™t let me insert Pongu Pongu so I have to use a ā€œbreakā€ designation for that, but that screws up my map (which drives me batty!), so I might use Satuli and in the notes type in ā€œPongu Ponguā€. Then the map is at least somewhat accurate.

I really like the map feature on TP, I wish it showed up in Lines, but I canā€™t find it there.

1 Like

Same!

1 Like