First time to Universal

I’ll be the contrarian here and say don’t get Express Pass.

1. Late August is not crowded. The last normal year (2019) was CL 2-4.
  2. It’s your first visit. Start as a rookie and see how it goes without EP, and then consider for future visits.
  3. You aren’t spending extra time in the WWOHP, which can eat up a bunch of time in a day.
  4. You are just focused on thrill, so over half the attractions are skippable.
  5. No need to ride Hogwarts Express since it’s probably not a must-do for you. Using the main entrances actually helps you to have a faster, efficient plan because you can do a whole loop.

Start at USF and go clockwise.

• Rip Ride Rockit
  • Transformers
  • Mummy
  • Escape from Gringott’s
  • Men in Black
    (Simpsons would be optional)
  • Bourne

Exit and enter IOA and tour counter-clockwise

• Hagrid’s
  • Forbidden Journey
  • VelociCoaster
  • Jurassic Park River
    (Reign of Kong would be optional)
  • Bilge-Rat Barges
  • Spider-Man
  • Incredible Hulk

According to Touring Plans (most days in late Aug), you have plenty of time to complete these attractions including the optional ones, a couple breaks and 30 minutes for lunch in 8-9 hours max.

6 Likes

This is good.

OP - I give you permission :wink: to skip MIB and Bilge Rats if your time won’t allow.

MIB was like a broken Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin.

2 Likes

Dead to me.

6 Likes

2 Likes

Do you frequently talk to dead people?

I know everyone will have their own list / opinions. However, how do you put Popeye on the list and say Kong is optional?? :crazy_face: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Popeye is totally skippable (and I like it btw!). Kong is a major “must do”. I’d skip Hulk for it too. (after the launch Hulk does nothing for me)

1 Like

Kong is the lowest rated attraction out of the bunch. And the OP loves water rides, could do the other soaker instead.

They are all just wrong!! I think it’s great! I’ve never been on an attraction where there is so much action happening all around and even on top of you!

Plus, if you go in the evening you get to see those torches and the gates all lit up as you enter. It makes me chant “KONG, KONG, KONG!” every time!

3 Likes

The way it looks right now our universal day will be 8/25. We can go all out all day without any major long breaks. In my experience it’s more tiring standing in line not moving in the heat then it is moving around the parks. When FPP+ and park hopping were easier at Disney we could hit all 4 parks and do every headliner at each park in a day. We’ll probably only do a quick service meal as this will be our last night in the parks we’ll hit our headliner for dinner back at one of the Disney resorts later in the evening most likely.

1 Like

i would have to say that this is probably the most likely scenario for us as well.

Correct

Weirdo

3 Likes

you guys are great! Thanks for all the help. I know we’ll have a blast. Being we were well versed in the FPP+ system at Disney and NEVER stood in line for anything, the biggest question will likely become which Express Pass to go with. Will we have time to ride something more than once if we want, or is the single time through enough? Personal choice I know :wink: Knowing two of the biggest thrill attractions are not on Express Pass it may be that riding the others once and those twice would be of more value. Decisions Decisions!

My kids have seen every version of Kong you can find. One even did a compare and contrast paper on two of them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They thought Kong was such a let down. They may have had too-high expectations. They said the queue really got them excited and the ride was such a disappointment.

2 Likes

For us, we had more fun on Bilge-Rat Barges than ANY ride in all of USF. We went on it and laughed and laughed and laughed. Then, we got off, and got right back in line and did it again! SO much fun. (The other water ride isn’t nearly as fun, although still fun.)

But, you have to be in the mood for getting wet.

Kong, I really loved the first time. Subsequent rides were fine, but lost that initial excitement as the first time through. I think people should ride it…but when time is short, there are other, better rides to choose.

1 Like

Yep. It’s not a great ride.

Thursday is great! I’ll definitely stick with my recommendation then. TP has Hagrid’s and VC with around a 30 minute wait in the afternoon on that date.All the other attractions are showing 10-20 minute waits.

1 Like

I would not buy the ride more than once version. Just personal preference–once is enough on each ride.

I agree but just because the trip is one day.

It still might be cheaper to get one night of premier hotel

3 Likes

Based on what I’m seeing when I go to book a room at a premier resort at UOR if I were pinching pennies it might be a little cheaper to get the room but we’re talking less than $50 at best. Quite a bit cheaper obviously for the single use Express Pass vs. the All You Can Ride.

2 Likes