File this under: Completely normal and not weird at all

So today I bought brand new socks and underwear that are NOT TO BE WORN until my WDW trip. There’s nothing like the feeling of brand new clothes.

Yeah, yeah, I’m wearing in my new shoes so that they’re comfortable for long days of touring, but this is different, right?

4 Likes

No way I would do this. First, they need to be washed. Second, what if you find that the new underwear gives you massive wedgies all day long or the socks rub your little toe the wrong way?!

You live on the wild side, my friend!

6 Likes

As long as the brand new socks and underwear are not a departure with what you normally wear. In both cases, a vacation is not the best time to try something new/different only to find out in 90+ degree temps that it leads to uncomfortable chafing, etc.

I also have found that it is best to wash such clothing items before wearing them in order to soften up/loosen up the fibers. For whatever reason, brand new underwear tends to breathe less than that which has been washed at least once.

3 Likes

Yes, I agree. Please at least wash them before you pack them to wear! I have to wash everything before wearing it…grosses me out to think of all the hands my clothes passed through before coming to me…

2 Likes

New socks are the best. My DH says if he were rich he would wear a brand new pair of socks every day. :smile:

3 Likes

I do this, so it’s obviously completely normal.

5 Likes

Is it weird that I kind of do the opposite? I am good with new socks for vacation, but I usually take some of my older, comfortable, well-worn underwear. Then after I wear it, I throw it away rather than take dirty undies home with me. Then I know I’ll have comfortable underwear while I’m at the park and I won’t have as much to take home.
Eh. If I’m weird I’m ok with it.

4 Likes

I’m one of those people who, once they find something they like, they stick with it.

They’re exactly the same style and brand (and colour!) that I wore in the parks last year. Just deliciously soft and fresh and new. I remember how they felt when I wore them for the first time last year. It was like kittens were licking my feet.

3 Likes

Okay. I’m glad you were referring to your socks, otherwise that image took on a whole different connotation.

4 Likes

Everyone who read that is now picturing it.

3 Likes

Yeah, well. You started it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I honestly think you are some kind of genius. That’s so brilliant I might do it myself.

3 Likes

No I didn’t. The kitten did. It was flirting with me.

2 Likes

Hmm. And here I thought you were speaking metaphorically. (Well, not TECHNICALLY metaphorically, since it was a simile…)

2 Likes

Normal.

1 Like

I don’t worry about who might have touched it - my problem is the sizing that new clothes are drenched in. Makes me want to claw my skin off. Plus, as someone else mentioned, washing loosens up the fibers and makes things more comfortable in general.

The what?

1 Like

Totally weird right! :slight_smile: I sometimes do the opposite in order to make more room in the luggage!

I do that with my toothbrush and shower puffy. Brilliant idea to do it for underwear!

1 Like

I do this, I just wash the stuff first, but yeah I don’t wear them before I get there. I agree, nothing better than a brand new set socks, or ones from the dryer.

I also go through a super-major-uber-clean of my house before I leave. It’s not like I’m messy, but I go into overkill mode(like steam cleaning the carpets). I actually wasn’t able to be as thorough as usual before this last trip and it really bugged me.

1 Like