Favorite things to do in AK?

Making my touring plan for Animal Kingdom and realized I don’t recognize half the things listed under attractions. These are a given: Safari, KRR, FotLK and Nemo.
Not doing: EE, Dinosaur or Primeval Whirl

When I was with my kids we loved Rafiki’s Planet Watch and the train to and from but not sure we will do that on adults only trip.

Which of the trails should we do and what other things am I missing? Thanks!

The Maharajah Jungle Trek is one of my favorite places in WDW. Seeing the tigers is, of course, the highlight, but even if they are not readily visible, the trail itself is SO beautifully done. Look for it in Asia, near Kali. I’d also recommend the Pangani Trail in Africa, but if you have to choose between them, go with Asia. Cretaceous trail in Dinoland not really worth it; short trail with a few cement dinos.

2 Likes

The giant fruit bats were a highlight for us.

The fruit bats are very cool. When we lived in Okinawa, they were a native species and a large tree near our house was a favorite “hang-out” for them. Always catches your attention when the something the size of a small cat flies 10 feet over your head :smile:

4 Likes

We have a really great zoo in Albuquerque (for a city of 550,000) so I was I found it interesting to see some animals that we can’t easily see here at home. I think that’s why the fruit bats were the highlight for us!

You can’t go wrong with either of the wildlife trails mentioned above. The planet watch might actually be more interesting without kids. I’ve only done it once, but I remember a lot of interesting information that my kids were not in to. Also, they might be doing some veterinary work while you are there, you never know!

1 Like

I don’t know if they’re still doing Winged Encounters in the morning, and it wasn’t on a set schedule when they were doing it, but if you can find out they are doing it, it is worth a stop if you’re in the area. Basically what it is is dozens of free-flight macaws flying all around in front of Flame Tree BBQ. They fly incredibly close and are absolutely gorgeous to see in the morning sun.

Thank you all for the great tips. @Iheartepcot I think we will add in planet watch. I really enjoyed it and I am sure my sister will as well.

Wilderness Explorers is an Unofficial Guide favorite.

@LaurelStewart my kids LOVED Wilderness Explorers. It was a highlight of our last trip and I have their books saved to take with us next Summer so they can continue with it.

Portions of Pangani will be closed: http://m.wdwmagic.com/attractions/pangani-forest-exploration-trail/news/28aug2014-pangani-forest-exploration-trail-to-partially-close-for-refurbishment-from-next-week.htm

I would add both trails and Flights of Wonder.

Yes, absolutely on the Flights of Wonder. Have a dollar bill at the ready when the show starts, you will be glad you did!

1 Like