Favorite Moderate Resort?

Hey folks. Will soon be reserving my trip for November 2015.

In all of the past trips to WDW, we have never stayed on site. We will be doing a split trip with 4 days in our usual offsite resort and 3 days on property.

Here is the info I am looking for from you good people:

1. Is is worth the extra money to go moderate, or do you think 3 nights at POP is just as “Disney”?
  2. What is your favorite moderate resort?
1 Like

I’m not gonna be much help because I find POP to be a fantastic Disney value. It’s my go to resort.

That said, POFQ is my favorite mod so far. But I’ve heard such great things about CSR that it’s moved up one bucket list.

4 Likes

I’d say it all depends on the size of the people in your family. We are 4 people, but my husband and boys are huge, so there’s no way we can fit in double beds. To get queen-sized beds, you need to move up to moderates. I agree with @DarthDopey about the fantastic value at POP Century. The 60s building is within walking distance of Art of Animation, so it doubles your bus/food options. However, I know I’ll never get to stay there if I’m with my family. We just don’t all fit.

If you decide that the larger bed is necessary, then I would recommend Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside. I’ve stayed at both, and they were lovely. No complaints.

2 Likes

No.matter what we are getting two rooms. Ours will be a king!

1 Like

We also love Pop! We managed just fine with 4 people in one room - but our forced family harmony had its moments! DSthen15 brought a sleeping bag so he didn’t actually have to share blankets with DSthen17. :wink:

That said, we did tour CBR and POFQ/POR. My DSis stayed at CBR and loved it. We found that was our longest wait for the bus. The Orleans resorts are beautiful - the boat to DTD was really fun.

We rebooked Pop for our trip in December. We use the Disney buses and had great luck last time with minimal waits. From the parks, it is the longest walk to catch the return bus but that wasn’t a deal breaker by any means.

You can’t go wrong with whatever you choose - but we love staying in “the bubble”. You won’t regret it! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ah. 2 rooms at Pop would be great then. I foresee that sort of arrangement in our future. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A friend of mine often does 2 rooms at pop for his family when they stay in the bubble. Two bathrooms and privacy. Big perks to that!!

3 Likes

We prefer the mods, the values are just too noisy and overwhelming for us. We have done connecting rooms at both POR and POFQ and enjoyed both. I liked POR better, DH liked POFQ better. Have also stayed at CBR in just 1 room and loved that resort. So peaceful and the best location of any of the moderates in my opinion. We stayed at AOA and while we loved the Lion King suite and the Cars Land pool, the resort felt too loud and crowded in the common areas. One and done for us. Back to moderates. They really aren’t much more per night for a much more relaxed experience. Plus they have coffee makers, quiet pools, usually 2 sinks instead of 1, and larger bathrooms and bedrooms.

2 Likes

If you are getting two rooms, I say defo go for POP, it’s a great resort. Love the food court there (prefer it to the one at AoA) and love the theme.

If you do decide to go for a mod, I’d go for POFQ for the lovely theming, the boat to DTD, the option of walking over to POR, and for the single bus stop.

2 Likes

Hi there! I’m no expert on any of this, haven’t been yet remember? :wink:

But thinking if you’re booking two rooms might even be worth looking into renting DVC points? you could probably get a deluxe 2 bed villa for around the same as two mod rooms? please chime in and tell me if I’m wrong. :smile:

we’re doing a split stay too. 4 nights at POR and then 11 nights at Wyndham Bonnet Creek (renting timeshare) (then off to UOR)

2 Likes

Thanks for all the input folks.

Pretend I am dumber than a box full of hammers. What does the “bubble” mean?

That would be the bubble of on WDW property :smiley:

1 Like

It just means being immersed in Disney - staying on property. :slight_smile: You don’t have to leave to go back to a different hotel or house.

1 Like

Thanks for educating me!

2 Likes

I’ve stayed at all the mods, except csr. I like por best. Pofq is better in size and convenience, but I love POR. I didnt like CBR. It was huge. I was almost 8 months pregnant, so I could be prejudiced against it for no reason. I’ve only stayed at the All Stars value and I’m not a fan. Keep WL in mind. Love that resort, and with the 30% off discounts, it’s not much more than a moderate.

3 Likes

Three nights at Pop is “just as Disney” IMO.

I really like POFQ, with POR being a close second, but truthfully, I love staying at Pop if I’m going to be eating at all at the resorts – the food options at Pop are better than POFQ or POR, and if you want some variation, (like @SallyEppcot mentioned) you just have to cross the bridge and eat at Art of Animation (which is the best food court on property, hands down). I’d save the money and do Pop unless you really want to check off a resort on your bingo card.

2 Likes

Pop is one of our favorite resorts. The only mod I would consider paying more for is POFQ. I didn’t care for POR because of it’s huge size. I really hated CSR and tried it twice. (2003 & 2013). Never tried CBR.

2 Likes

Hahaha! Love this. :smile:

1 Like

I agree with @Wahoohokie. We noticed a huge jump in quality from values to mods- less chaos, smaller crowds it seemed to us, and much more relaxing feel to the trip. We’ve stayed at CSR and CBR, and loved both. Slight edge to CSR because it felt a little nicer, but with the refurbishments happening at CBR, I may reconsider if we went again. We’re trying POR in June so looking forward to seeing how that ranks!

1 Like

Having just finished our stay at POR I have to say that while I really liked the feel and layout of the resort, I was not super crazy about the beds. Ours literally felt like springs covered in a sheet. Now at the end of a long day in the parks it didn’t really matter because we just passed out, but it’s worth noting. I was also really unhappy with the shower. The water pressure was so low that it was difficult to even finish showering. We also had a decent hike to the nearest bus stop so keep those in mind and ask for a room that is close to one. The lobby, food court, and river roost lounge, however, were all very nice. The ability to park very close to the room was a big bonus as well. Having checked into AKL today I have to say I’m now totally spoiled. It’s quite a jump in quality and comfort and i think in the future we’ll either rent DVC so that we can afford a deluxe or we’ll stay offsite in a nice house.

2 Likes