Favorite Animated Movie

What is your favorite animated movie? Doesn’t matter who makes it, all-time and just right now. AT Lion King, RN Sing. Let us discuss, aaannnnddd Go!

1 Like

Hard to choose a favorite, but I’ve always loved the visuals of Sleeping Beauty.

1 Like

AT Beauty and the Beast
RN Moana

I could probably be convinced of a ton of other favorites but these are what popped into my head.

1 Like

Great topic for the weekend!

Ding ding ding! AT and RN Beauty and the Beast, no contest. It was the first of the Disney movie renaissance to really get me hooked on Disney movies as a 10 year old (didnt see Little Mermaid until later) and Disney fanatic altogether. It has everything–the best story, the best music of Alan Menken (which is saying a lot with everything he has done), the best voice acting (Paige O’Hara had a Judy Garland Somewhere over the Rainbow-like quality and Jerry Orbach and Angela Lansbury were superb and completely unique), one of the best villains in Gaston, the best rewatchability, and great animation quality for its time. I don’t typically put much stock in Academy Awards, but winning best song, best score, and nominated for best picture says something.

Some other favorites are close but can never reach a BatB level, such as Princess and the Frog, Moana, Toy Story (hard to narrow down to just one of them), and Wall-E.

4 Likes

AT: Cinderella
RN: Up!

4 Likes

I love UP too!

1 Like

How about movies with animation in them?
Bed knobs and Broomsticks
Mary Poppins

4 Likes

Good one. If the category were Animated Movies my DW has never gotten through without crying, this would be it.

1 Like

All time: Beauty and the Beast (this is indisputable :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
Right now: Frozen 2

I love Love LOVE the music in Frozen 2, which surprised me because I am cynical about movies aimed at 7-year-olds and especially sequels. But the music was better than the original, IMO, and has some great sophistication to it. The songwriting duo (Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez) is one of the best ever.

6 Likes

I really love Moana! It’s up there on my list. Lin-Manuel Miranda is a genius.

This is a visual feast. I think Walt Disney considered it his masterpiece. He didn’t spare any expense on that one, though it was seen as a financial failure. It is gorgeous.

This is a masterpiece as well. Whenever I hear “Feed the Birds” a tear comes to my eye.

5 Likes

AT: Prince of Egypt
(AT Disney: Aristocats)
RN: Zootopia

2 Likes

Hmmm, I can’t choose! :joy::joy:

AT: Aristocats would certainly be up there, along with Fantasia and Up.
RN: haven’t watched one in ages (probably Toy Story 4 was the last) but maybe Inside Out

Movies containing animation: Who framed Roger Rabbit, Mary Poppins

Most hated: any live action remake. Actually, that’s perhaps unfair, as I point blank refuse use to watch any of them, I think it’s lazy and shows a lack of imagination amongst Disney execs,

Movies I’ve never seen: Moana, Tangled, Princess and the Frog, Pocahontas, Brother Bear, Frozen 2, Big Hero 6, Incredibles amongst others.

Some because I don’t have a “reason” to go see them any more and don’t watch many movies on TV these days, some because they just don’t appeal and others because I am not a fan of the animation style / look of modern movies like the Incredibles etc. The characters just look “blobby” which I don’t find at all attractive. Inside Out does have the same look but that was one we did go and see on a big screen and I enjoyed it.

3 Likes

I always say my favourite is 101 Dalmatians but I don’t watch it as much these days as Tangled or Little Mermaid. I love Frozen 2 at the moment.

3 Likes

AT The Nightmare Before Christmas!

RN I’m in the mood for watching Coco or Inside Out.

2 Likes

This is hard. I have some thoughts on the choices my family would make, but this isn’t about their choices.
AT: Disney’s Robin Hood
RN: Moana

Robin Hood isn’t the greatest film technically, but it was to me as a kid and I get that same feeling whenever I see it. This is what happens when you grow up watching daring do-gooders like Robin Hood, Zorro, and the Lone Ranger.

5 Likes

Coco is fantastic! That’s another I watch a lot.

1 Like

I used to have a crush on Robin Hood :joy:

4 Likes

In your defense, Robin Hood and Maid Marian were foxxy.

5 Likes

Sooo many wonderful choices!! I have to say my AT and RN jump from Robin Hood ,The Rescuers, UP and Coco. Watching the most RN is A Muppet Family Christmas. I recommend 100%. So so beautiful. It has the Sesame street gang, the Muppets, Fraggle Rock gang and Jim Henson makes an appearance at the end. Count leading them into singing I saw 3 ships for some reason brings tears of joy everytime I hear it :heart:

1 Like

Does AT means as a child? Because I think as I aged my choice changed all around but definitely up till a point it was The Little Mermaid. I know all the songs by heart and often just randomly sing them.

But I’d have to say that since Up came out it is now my favorite because talking dogs is my dream come true and Dug’s squirrel joke is the best of all time plus I’m an adventurer and that movie made me cry and laugh so much.

Honorable mention: Mary Poppins. One of the best films of all time.

2 Likes