Fast Pass Experience Recap (Long)

I wonder if KRR is under refurbishment during your dates? There has been a Jan - Feb/Mar refurb every year except 2014.

We are going for our first trip around the same time (arrival feb 1st), so just did my 60 day fastpasses too! we are staying onsite 3 nights, and offsite 6 nights, so only made selections for the first 4 park days. I also did tons or lurking and reading, so it was really exciting for things to start to come together!

I got most of what I was hoping for - wanted FOP on day 60+3 for around 1230, got 1:05. We are doing Hollywood studios day 60+2 so I didn’t expect to get SDD, and hadn’t planned on it, but the night before saw availability on the touring plans site and the dibb, so figured I’d try for it first. We got 6:25, and since we’re staying at Caribbean beach, will probably skyliner back for a bit in the evening to do it :smile:

Now I just have to wait to do the 30 day picks for our remaining days, but I have hopefully realistic expectations for that!

1 Like

That’s a very successful day!

Yesterday I made FP reservations for my friends that will arrive on February 1st. I was also trying for a morning SDD on the 4th, the earliest I could get (after a lot of refreshing) was 4:55pm. By yesterday night there were no longer any times available, so it wouldn’t have made a difference if you tried another order.

One problem I have with TP suggested Fastpass is that it can be overly ambitious. On days 60 to 60+3 you usually have to make compromises about either timing or rides if you want morning/early afternoon FOP, SDD and 7DMT.

Oh god, I may be forever banned from this forum.

I had never booked a Fastpass until this summer. I always had my TA do all our plans.

@sanstitre_has_left_the_building May never forgive me.

But I may also redeem myself by having spent 110 days in wdw in 2018…with 10 more in front of me.

That said, I think you did really good!! The whole system made me so anxious we didn’t even go to WDW until 2017…I’m so used to disneyland’s day-of easy planning. :grinning:

And yes, mousematt is the most sarcastic Brit I’ve met in a while. Never ever take him serious (unless he tell you too…and even then be suspect!)

:joy::joy:

2 Likes

Here’s hoping.

Did you forget to take your medication again? It”s 2019.

You made me use an FPP for Figment when the SB line was shorter than the FPP line. How could I forgive that?

Ahem. Club 33.

2 Likes

Agreed. I booked it first right at 7 am for 60+4 and all I could get was 5:30 pm.

It was a Chuck E. Cheese. She took me to a Chuck E. Cheese. The whole thing was a scam.

That was my thought too. It would be really helpful if, when you tell TP to suggest fast passes for a particular touring plan on a particular day, it also provided a link to their latest capture of fast pass availability for that park and date, e.g. MK fast pass availability for 2/6/20. @len, would that be reasonably easy to add?

I’m really glad I found the Dibb’s FP availability (since I was booking them for 4, not 1, and their calendar format helps with juggling days) and Touring Plan’s FP availability pages (which give more detail on available times) through the forums here about a week before my FP booking day because otherwise it could have been disastrous. It let me re-run the touring plan optimization with more realistic FP times and juggle some days without being under FP booking stress.

3 Likes

I agree about the DIBBs. That let me know that SDD and FOP were gone before I even started trying. I did still try for them but I wasn’t under nearly as much stress as I would have been if I hadn’t known that b/c I knew to default to my 2nd plan immediately without the shock factor.

1 Like

Exactly this!

TP has its own FP availability tool, and it has a lot of historical data. It also knows your hotel check in date and the day you plan to go to each park, so it has all information needed. It could indicate FPs on personalized touring plans as “not likely to be available”, “hard to get (be online at 7am and schedule it first thing)”, “might need a little flexibility” and “easy”. It could also send out an email the night before with current availability for your desired FPs.

3 Likes

As a next step, that email would be ideal. But I was thinking since each day’s FP availability at each park has a standard format for the URL, it should be very easy to generate the string to include that link into the touring plan.

Given park hoppers and people who make multiple touring plans for each day to explore the possibilities (i.e. me and people like me), I wouldn’t expect TP to dynamically link the fast pass availability each time you optimize or evaluate the touring plan – that’s more computationally/data base intensive than just generating the URL string. The availability is pretty meaningless until a few days before anyway. But having that URL there to allow you to easily do a rough reality check of your planned FPPs would be great.

The email would be great but Touring Plans’ availability data is based on a single fast pass, so for groups the information wouldn’t be as useful on high-demand rides.

I seem to recall some boasting about a cap… that can be considered evidence!

Anyone can embroider digits to a baseball cap. I have no confidence that that proves anything.

I was going to suggest Dibb’s! That helped me tremendously in doing FPP, because I didn’t try for things I wasn’t going to get.

1 Like

You got me there… it could’ve been purchased off eBay!

I’m not sure I see the point, and I’m also not clear exactly what you are suggesting. Giving a URL but not a dynamic link… but it would be a dynamic link if it’s generating a URL wouldn’t it, based on the date and attraction?

I rally don’t see how this could really be of any use to most people. As you say, the TP FP info is for one person. How many people are making a plan for one person? So how useful would it be to have a link to info that would probably not even apply? And most people start making TPs more than 180 days out - what would they do then?

Maybe just an option to opt in to notifications could be helpful for some people? Kind of like CL notifications and hours updates notifications. If you want a daily or weekly update on which FPP have run out for your park days, you can start getting emails at the 90 mark.

(I personally wouldn’t want them but may be useful to some)

1 Like