I’ve been out of the loop for the past 2 weeks (on a family vacation in England!) so this may have been discussed recently . . . I’m working through the posts I missed while I was away, but it’s going to take me a while to get all caught up!
Since I’m super jet-lagged and have been fully awake since 1:30am, my mind has, naturally, wandered to plans for my next Disney trip.
My mom and sister and I have been talking for a while about a fall trip for Food & Wine (probably skipping SWGE on this trip, unless things shape up to be far saner than any of us are anticipating) but we haven’t booked anything yet. We’ve been eyeing the second half of October and were pretty settled on getting things booked soon after returning from England. Then Disney dropped the Daily-EMH-At-Every-Park-But-Epcot bomb just a few days before our vacation.
We didn’t have a lot of time to think about or process this tragic news, because all of our attention and energy was focused on preparing to fly overseas.
Now I’m back and jet-lagged (sorry, did I mention that already?? ) and the wheels in my brain won’t stop spinning. Has anyone come up with a decent strategy yet for how to tour the parks this fall without the benefit of EMH or 60-day FPs? I usually stay offsite and have no problem getting to do everything I want to do because I’m willing to get up early and beat the crowds. That strategy probably won’t work this time, except at Epcot.
At this point, I’m wondering if it’s even worth going at all?
If this was another solo trip, I’d go in a heartbeat. I’ve been several times over the past few years so I wouldn’t be heartbroken about missing out on a few rides here and there. But my family doesn’t get to go nearly as often, and rides are the whole point of Disney for my 13-year-old brother! I’m really torn about this.
Some possible alternatives are:
- Moving up the trip to pre-SWGE. But the costs and the heat are major downsides to this plan. I’m worried about how my mom will handle the weather, she’s scared of going to Florida during hurricane season (though I could probably talk her into being okay with it), and flights are a lot more expensive than I typically see during the off-season. (Yes, I was googling flights at 2am. I’m just a tiny bit jet-lagged. Have I mentioned that?)
- Waiting until winter or spring (2020) in the hopes for non-EMH days and lower crowds . . . but I wouldn’t bet my life on either of those scenarios, especially since we don’t know when the second SW ride will open. For all we know, Disney will extend the EMH, announce that RotR will open the day we plan to arrive, etc. It could be even more of a madhouse than October.
Sigh. Anyone have a brilliant solution? I would love to stay onsite . . . that wouldn’t solve the problem of high crowds and SWGE insanity, but at least we’d get access to EMH and 60-FPs, which would make touring so much easier . . . but I just don’t think that’s in the budget, especially since we’d need 2 rooms.