Facial Recognition Software being tested at MK

I wonder what the time frame will be before someone entering tries to press their face against the glass like a MagicBand?

7 Likes

I know people are afraid of this kind of thingā€¦but do keep in mind they arenā€™t actually storing your image (or fingerprint for that matter). Instead, they are using your face (or fingerprint) kind of like a password.

In simple terms, when you enter a password at a computer, they donā€™t actually compare the actual passwords. That would be insecure because it would mean STORING the actual password, which could be hacked, etc.

Instead, when you enter a password, your password is then converted via encryption to a number (or string of characters, etc) which canā€™t be decoded back to the original password (it is a one-directional action). The only thing stored is the encrypted data. That is what is compared. If your password, after being encrypted, matches the stored encryption key, the assumption is you input a valid password. But there is no way to take that encryption key and figure out what the original password was. (Wellā€¦there is, but only through brute-force trial and error.) (This explanation is a bit simplistic, but gets the idea across.)

Anyhow, the way the fingerprint and facial recognition works is the same. They are taking certain ā€œmeasurementsā€ of points of data from your face or fingerprint, and this is converted through a form of encryption to a key. All that is stored is the key. There is no way to get back to the original fingerprint or photograph.

7 Likes

I know you deleted your comment, but I did want to address what you said.

Iā€™m sorry those things happened to you. They are terrible.
But technology didnā€™t do any of those things to you. People using the internet did. People are flawed and do terrible things. That doesnā€™t inherently make the platform they used evil. Social media is often problematic, and that seems like where a lot of the things that happened to you stem from. That is a huge difference from technology used for security purposes. I donā€™t really think itā€™s fair to compare them.

4 Likes

Universal has been using facial recognition software for Express Pass for awhile now. They take your photo at the first place you use it and then you stand in front of the camera so the team member can see if itā€™s you on subsequent rides.

Itā€™s really buggy, though. Iā€™d say it only recognizes me about 2/3 of the time, if that.

Yeah itā€™s definitely inconsistent. Iā€™d say Disney IT (haha) will maybe do it better?!

Works perfectly for me every time.

2 Likes

Well, if you would stop making silly faces at it, maybe it would cooperate better! :wink:

But, seriously, even the finger scanner can be buggy. My wife struggled during our 2018 trip because the finger scanner would NEVER recognize her as being her. Weā€™d try to ride Hogwartā€™s Express, and the scanner wouldnā€™t recognize her ever. Eventually a TM told her she can just show her photo identification, which is what she did going forward.

3 Likes

I like that you didnā€™t even try to act like you typed that with a straight face.

1 Like

Yes weā€™ve never had a problem.

1 Like

We have had a lot of trouble with the finger scanners at UOR too. Not at WDW though.

1 Like

And I agree with everything you just said. And I agree itā€™s my problem with the people behind the tech, be it using or in control of, that is my biggest concern.

I feel like if I donā€™t give them anything to use against me, then they canā€™t.

I thank you for taking the time to explain the difference to me instead of just writing me off as another tinfoil hat waving my conspiracy flag. I think my issue has always been expecting people to do the worst, then being surprised when they are nice, instead of the other way around.

3 Likes

And thatā€™s a really common response to trauma. C-PTSD is what they call it when you develop a ptsd response to multiple traumas over time versus a specific event. And it does manifest slightly differently.
I know, not because Iā€™m in the mental health field, but because I have it, and I didnā€™t know it existed until I was diagnosed. Itā€™s something I must work through daily, and based on the things youā€™ve said already, I can tell you that we have a similar past.
I donā€™t see you as ā€œanother tinfoil hat.ā€

3 Likes

I had no idea, and for all the hours Iā€™ve been on a couch, no one ever actually explained my response. Iā€™m just asked to repeat the traumas. Iā€™m going to look that up.

1 Like

:joy: ha ha ha. I did that the other day being silly making fun of people who wear their masks wrong and think theyā€™re doing anything and ya know funny thing I couldnā€™t see anything but hey at least I wonā€™t get covid in my eyes. :wink:

1 Like

I recently heard of C-PTSD on a podcast. It was a story on mental health issues associated with the pandemic.

I have seen studies showing that wearing glasses helps in reducing Covid exposure. So it makes sense that masking the eyes would help as well. Disney is just going next level here obviouslyā€¦ :joy:

2 Likes

Is that an actual thing? Or are you being hilarious?

The study was real - the masking your eyes was hilariousā€¦

So what youā€™re saying is that, by wearing glasses, Iā€™m basically Clark Kent?

2 Likes