Facial Recognition Software being tested at MK

Disney has today begun testing facial recognition at the main entrance of the Magic Kingdom.

Magic Kingdom main entrance Facial Recognition test

Magic Kingdom main entrance Facial Recognition test

The new system employs a touchless system that aims to eliminate the need for the fingerprint scanners that have been used for many years at the parks.

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagicplus/news/23mar2021-magic-kingdom-now-testing-facial-recognition-for-theme-park-entrance-in-place-of-finger-scanners.htm

4 Likes

3 Likes

That’s creepy and cool. Less germs!

3 Likes

From the Article in WDWMagic.com

Here is the full information from Disney on how the system is used and how the data is collected.

At Walt Disney World Resort, we’re always looking for innovative and convenient ways to improve our Guests’ experience—especially as we navigate the impact of COVID-19.

With the future in mind and the shift in focus to more touchless experiences, we’re conducting a limited 30-day test using facial recognition technology (length of test subject to change). The technology we’re testing captures an image of a Guest’s face and converts it into a unique number, which is then associated with the form of admission being used for park entry. Participation in this test is optional. For those interested in volunteering to participate in this effort, please make sure you arrive with valid theme park admission and a Disney Park Pass reservation.

Note: children under the age of 18 who wish to participate may do so with the consent and in the presence of a parent or guardian.

What to Expect

Step 1: Enter the Facial Recognition Technology Test Lane
When you’re ready to enter the park, simply enter the lane designated for the test program.

Step 2: Remove Accessories, But Keep Your Face Covering in Plac e
Please take off any hats, visors or sunglasses before you approach the facial recognition test zone. Your face covering must remain on at all times.

Step 3: Face the Camera
Once in the facial recognition test zone, stand facing the camera and then position your valid park admission or MagicBand close to the scanner to activate the technology. The technology will capture an image, which will be converted into a unique number that will be associated with your valid ticket media.
You’re All Set!

If you return to Magic Kingdom park during our limited-time test, consider entering using the same designated entry points. Re-entering through the same lanes helps us better understand how the technology works.

Important Details

The security, integrity, and confidentiality of your information are extremely important to us. We have implemented technical, administrative, and physical security measures that are designed to protect Guest information from unauthorized access, disclosure, use and modification. Please be aware that, despite our best efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable.

Images and the associated unique numbers captured for this technology test will be discarded within 30 days after the test concludes. We will not share the images and unique numbers captured for this test with third parties.

Participation in this test is optional and limited. Guests who have valid theme park admission and a Disney Park Pass reservation may use another line for park entry.

2 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking! I went “Oh oh”, to “yay” then “wow, I’m conflicted”. :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see if they keep this policy if they decide to go live with this program.

2 Likes

They take your picture at DLR when you first activate your ticket/pass. But they only use that at the entry gate to ensure it’s really you.

3 Likes

OK am I behind the times or are we all now supposed to position our masks to cover our eyes and not our chins?

11 Likes

:joy::joy: I had noticed that too.

2 Likes

Waits for crazies to start ranting about outrageous invasion of privacy and communism and the First Amendment.

:popcorn:

16 Likes

I already know someone who won’t use their fingerprint.

2 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with this, how it’ll be implemented, etc. I can understand why it makes sense on a cruise ship, I’m not so sure about the parks. :woman_shrugging:

I think it’s just a way to replace the fingerprint with something touchfree.

6 Likes

Disney World is covered in cameras. They’re monitoring you the whole time you’re there. And if you wear a Magic Band, you’ve even let them tag you like a criminal. And if you’ve got Memory Maker, they’re already taking photos of you and storing them.

Facial recognition software for park entry is a drop in the ocean.

Oh, and to get into the country I have to give my fingerprints to the US government and have my photograph taken. And to get out again they use facial recognition to let me on the plane. And the UK government uses facial recognition to let me back into the country.

And my iPhone and iPad use facial recognition to let me access them.

The ship has long, long sailed on my privacy from government or big tech.

11 Likes

Facial recognition has its problems. Among them, racial bias.

1 Like

Well that depends on the implementation. Apple’s facial recognition, for example, doesn’t look at a picture of the face and compare it with a reference picture. It builds a 3D contour map of the face, so skin tone is irrelevant. It also uses machine learning so that it gets better at recognising a given face with each exposure to it.

My mind is blown that this is even a possibility WHILE wearing a face covering.
That’s some amazing technology.

2 Likes

A mask is fine but a cap? No chance :joy:

1 Like

Especially with those character face coverings

“hmmm no, that can’t be him. Our guy’s nose was a black oval and he had no teeth this morning.”

10 Likes

I have a CLEAR membership which uses eyescan for ID at airports – it works great, gets me through security fast. I would expect someday Disney, and other companies, will move to it.

2 Likes