Face mask for 3 year old with Autism

I will be visiting in April with my 3 year old grandson, who refuses to wear a mask. Will Disney make an exception/ special accommodation?

2 Likes

No exceptions, sorry :frowning:

1 Like

No, they will not. Their policy is that if you can’t abide to the mask wearing rule, even if for seemingly legitimate reasons, you should postpone your trip.

ETA: Oops. Sorry. That’s the wrong text. Let me find the actual text on their site!

1 Like

Sorry about that. Found it. You can find this at the Park Reservation page: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/park-reservations/

1 Like

I’m sorry to pile on, but be aware that Disney requires masks everywhere on their property with few exceptions. You need them at the hotels, on buses and boats, walking in parking lots, etc. You don’t need to wear them in your hotel room or inside the fenced area around a pool. The masks are not just for the theme parks.

2 Likes

I teach special education in-person and we have classes as young as 3-K (three-year-old kindergarten) all along the autistim spectrum but trending towards the more severe, and all of our kids are wearing masks.

Start early. Be positive. Find masks with characters that he likes (makes him more likely to wear it). Build up tolerance - find a reward he likes that you/mom and dad can live with (screen time, fruit snacks, stickers, etc. you know what he likes) and start with a couple of minutes for a reward. Gradually build up the time he wears the mask (it will REALLY help if you/mom and dad/siblings) are wearing yours too. It CAN be done.

8 Likes

Seeing that it’s APRIL, start NOW. It took a few months for some of our guys to build up tolerance for a school day.

3 Likes

We have also had success in school. Generally we also start with having the masks cover the chin, then chin and mouth, finally the nose and mouth. Try different materials as well as designs.

I might also consider a car rental (one more mask break).

4 Likes

And welcome to the forum, @Carrieconte!

100% accurate. :heart:
Also, parent of Autistic people here :wave:
I have a grown child with very low support needs, and a 5 year old with much higher support needs and comorbidities. We’ve been to WDW once already during Covid, and are going back in a month.
It isn’t always easy, but it can almost always be done. All the things lizzieanne71 is saying is how we did it with our youngest.
Is he in preschool? If so, enlist the help of his teachers… Often a non household member can be more successful because of different relationships and different expectations.
Feel free to reach out if you’d like to.

3 Likes

thank you all !

1 Like