Extra Extra Magic Hours at HS - worth it?

I’m less than three weeks away from my Disney trip now, and with the kids back in school and things (hopefully) settling down a bit for the fall - do folks have any sense of how necessary it will be to show up as early as 6 AM at Hollywood Studios if I want to ride Smuggler’s Run or Slinky Dog Dash on standby? I appreciate the three hours of extra time for resort guests but arriving at the park by 6ish means getting up as early as 4 AM for me, and boy, I would rather not. I already have Savi’s Workshop and Droid Depot reservations so those two rides are honestly the only reason I might turn up that early. I’ll be going to HS on the Sunday and Monday of my trip if that helps - half-day Monday due to MNSSHP that night.

1 Like

It is certainly painful to get up that early…however, when I did it this week, we actually didn’t even go through security until 6 AM (the rope droppers were already inside and on their way) and still had all the major rides done before 9am and were ready to leave the park (except I had Droid and Oga’s reservations). (A 17 minute wait for SDD and a 23 minute wait for MFSR)
I think you should take advantage of the EEMH, but you don’t necessarily have to be there to rope drop them. The crowds stayed relatively low until about 8am…and then there was an explosion of people at 9am.

4 Likes

Thanks! I think in that case I’ll probably aim for 7 instead, get a LITTLE extra sleep, at least.

2 Likes

I did it Thursday 9/26 coming from Beach Club. Up at 4:15, at HS by 5. They opened bag check by 5:30 and let us into park and lined up at Hollywood and Vine for RD at 6. Stormtroopers walked us to SWGE by 6:14. Was on MFSR by 6:24, off by 6:32. Went to TSL at 7, did TSMM 10 min wait and Slinky Dog, about 30 min wait. I was back at BC by 8:30. That worked for me. Saw someone else post getting there at 6, no bag lines, doing TSL low wait, then do MFSR with a 20 min wait. Either way I think it’s worth getting there early, but everyone is different and does things that’s best for them. Good luck. Whatever you choose, remember, you’re in Disney.

4 Likes

I’m going to recommend you check out this blog. They’ve been going to EEMH almost every morning at each of the parks. Almost no one is going to EEMH. You can do almost the entire park before normal operating hours.

https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/rope-dropping-star-wars-galaxys-edge-at-disneys-hollywood-studios-during-extra-extra-magic-hours/

https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/rope-dropping-slinky-dog-dash-at-disneys-hollywood-studios-during-extra-extra-magic-hours/

2 Likes

In my experience this past week, the wait time that changed the most as the morning went on was SDD. We arrived at HS at 6 and went straight to SDD and waited 15 min. It seemed like the line built quickly after that. Still not as long as after 9am, but we don’t like SDD enough to wait 30-45 min. MFSR seemed pretty stable at around 35-45 min posted most of the rest of the morning. We rode around 8 and waited 25 min. The glorious thing about EEMH was that ToT and RnRC were walk on for us between 6:30 and 7:30 and appeared to stay that way even after 8. We rode multiple times. You have to make sure ToT is running. It wasn’t running right away at RD, for whatever reason.

2 Likes

Did you walk from BC? We will be there in a few weeks and I’m trying to figuring out the best way to corral my troops at that hour. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We walked from Boardwalk Villas. We were in the farthest villa from HS (right next to Jellyrolls) and it took probably 12 min or so walking at a decent pace but not too fast to make it to the bag check. We did see a ferry boat pass us on the way.

1 Like

I walked, but was on my own. So much easier that way.

1 Like

Alas, I’m at All-Star Music (decided I’d rather have more money for souvenirs and incidentals than spend on a room I’ll be using solely for prep and sleeping as a solo traveler), so I’ve got to factor bus travel in. But this has all been very insightful, and I feel a lot better about Galaxy’s Edge in particular, thank you!

Man I hope they add EEMH for my week in November!

I was at POR. The first buses started showing up on the app at 4:48am…and we caught one shortly after 5.

Have they stopped offering the after hours event at HS?

I did EEMH twice for HS this past week and YES it’s worth it. Get up, get out the door and do the extra hours. We got to DHS at 5:45, the rope drop crowd was already inside. We entered TSL at 6:03. We got so many rides in TSL, met Woody and Bo, my DH rode MFSR twice (single rider) and we rode ToT and were out of the park by 9:15. We could have easily done more but we had a 4 year old an a 1 year old and my 70 year old mother.
Do it. then go back and take a nap. It’s soooooo worth it.

I agree! We didn’t make it until 6:45, but we were still able to ride AS2, TSMM, meet Jessie and meet Woody and Bo before Jedi Training sign ups at 7:45. Walk on for all but the Woody/Bo Meet and Greet (which was about a 15 minute line…an hour or so later their line was over an hour long, in the hot sun). We got a ton done before noon, then headed back to the hotel for lunch and a nap (when the park was hot and crowded).

Hi, can you not sign up for Jedi training before 7.45am? Thanks

When we were there (on Tuesday) they opened up sign ups at 7:45.