I bought 3-day tickets starting 12/27 thru UT with G+ included before Disney stopped selling the “G+ included” option. I’d like to extend the tickets to 7 days. I contacted UT and they said they couldn’t do it without removing the G+ option. They suggested doing it in person when I’m actually at wdw, but I’m worried if I wait that long, park reservations will be hard to get.
Any other options? I tried doing it via MDE and got as far as the pricing screen, but it wasn’t clear whether G+ would still be included or not. Before calling Disney and banking on getting a knowledgeable rep, I wanted to see if forum experts might know.
I think you’ll get the same response from Disney honestly.
I believe it would be a change that has you lose your locked in Genie+ price.
I tried changing via Disney’s website and got as far as this and even 1 screen beyond, which is encouraging, b/c it still lists G+ service. If it works, it’s a nice deal given the recent G+ price increases and that I’d be extending into 2023. The only downside is if I change the tickets via Disney, I can’t get a refund via UT anymore. So I’ll probably wait a bit, maybe a month or so, til park reservations for Xmas period start going, and then try for the change and see what happens.
How many tickets is that for? That seems like a lot of money?
I have one ticket that I’m looking at maybe adding a day to and this is exactly the screen I get as well. So I think that is encouraging to me! I might actually do it tomorrow so I will let you know.
Just completed! (I previously had a 2-day ticket.) The ticket specialist actually asked if I wanted to keep the Genie+ and didn’t bat an eye. I was a little prepared to fight for it.
That’s almost disappointing isn’t it? When you’re prepared for a fight and there isn’t one?
Thanks for confirming! Nice to get this little bonus.
I know! I think I lost like $100 in convention ticket savings but damn it I clawed back at least $30 in Genie+!
I was finally able to extend my tickets to 7-days into 2023, keeping G+, for the $821.13 quoted above, but I couldn’t do it online - it got blocked at the final step, saying my items “were not available”. I called 407-934-7639, navigated the phone tree, reached Disney level 1 rep, they referred me to level 2, and I had to wait 2 hours in a phone queue, but it was worth it. The level 2 guy was super knowledgeable, and knew all about the importance of keeping my existing ADR’s and park rez - “Oh no, we won’t touch those”. Got it done in about 5 mins and said, you should be able to see the modified tickets in MDE (which I did, with him on the call) and he reminded me to go make my additional park rez, which I did - in fact, it was the whole point to doing this now and not in-park.
Overall an acceptable hassle, just kept the call on speakerphone and worked, and happy to get this resolved, but I don’t want to hear “It’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow” ever again, I must’ve listened to that hold music 20x
Just want to point out: in general, you get bigger discounts the longer you stay. You get a nice discount on the 5th day, and a big discount for 6th day and beyond. So even though days 6-7 are going to be partial days for us, the incremental cost is very low ($33pp/day, including G+) so it’s worth it to knock a few more things off our bucket list