Ethical conundrum

this is a great idea!

3 Likes

For a generic example you couldā€™ve used Josh. It was right there in the photo!! :wink::laughing::+1:t2:

4 Likes

And written on my heart.

Creepy? Ugh. Who knows what the rules are nowadays. You take secret photos of someone and build a shrine to them featuring a life-size statute youā€™ve had professionally sculpted and suddenly youā€™re a creep. Itā€™s not like I sing ā€œJosh and Matthew sitting in a treeā€ every night before I go to bed. (Note to self: Idea for a wood carving.)

8 Likes

Iā€™m an art historian and the idea of what is ok to photograph comes up a lot. Basically, at least in the US, if something (including someone) is in public you can photograph it. The rules change if on private property. Like, if someone is on their front porch youā€™re not necessarily ok to photograph them. This is very complex and Iā€™m just giving the most bare bones of it. But, I doubt anyone in public, in costume, at Disney has any expectation of privacy. And Iā€™m sure there are supposed to be rules about what can be posted online but Iā€™m just as certain that nobody obeys them. That being said, asking permission is always a nice idea.

5 Likes

I realize this is an older post, but it popped upā€¦ I know that those who portray face characters (not a random CM on a ride) have to disable the suggested tagging on things like FB that can do that to preserve the magic as it was suggesting friends of princesses with their real-life name. (I have a friend who was friends with Cinderella. And per my sis who is on the cruise line (but not a character) it is still the case.)

3 Likes