End January 2022 trip - should we still go?

Purely anecdotal, but…

My family is all vaccinated. DS11 was fully vaccinated early December, and my wife and I were boosted around the same time. My DD18 was scheduled for her booster today…but a week ago, got COVID (confirmed with PCR test). In the meantime, no one else in our household has caught it. We got PCR tests 5 days out and they all came back negative.

It does make me think that being boosted or recently vaccinated helped. But, as I said, this is one anecdote, and doesn’t necessarily represent the bigger picture.

Having said that, so far indications have shown being recently boosted seems to be helping compared to just fully vaccinated.

7 Likes

I know someone that got it …a day after they got the booster :woman_facepalming: Another couple a week after. Then again, they say it takes 14 days to kick in.

In the cases above, the interesting thing is the adults got it, the kids did not. (One kid has symptoms, but tested negative twice)

How unfortunate! Of course, there is no guarantee that even being boosted will prevent it, only that it reduces likelihood. But yeah. We keep looking at the numbers for Omicron and think, “We’re doomed.” :smiley:

1 Like

I know quite a few people that kept testing negitive when they clearly had Covid symptoms and we’re in households with Covid positive people. I dont trust the accuracy of a negitive test result. And I read yesterday that one particular test was being recalled for giving false positives. Dont remember which one though.

1 Like

A couple weeks ago, my DS11 had “covid symptoms”, so we took him in to the doctor. They tested him, and he was negative. The doctor said that they are seeing high numbers of 3 viruses going around that all have similar symptoms (including Omicron). Basically, my son just had a cold.

That cold seems to have spread through our household. But only my daughter has COVID.

Point being, multiple people in the same household with similar symptoms, with one testing positive for COVID, does not mean everyone else has COVID. Only a PCR test can confirm accurately. (Although, the rapid test my daughter and my wife used in addition to the PCR appeared to have been accurate.) But with cold viruses in the mix, it is making it difficult to know one from the other.

(My daughter, by the way, recovered from her symptoms within about 3 days of onset…worst of which was her fever spiking to 103 briefly.)

1 Like

I guess I should have added that 3 out of the 4 neg testers lost taste and smell. This being a very distinct symptom and it was when Delta was emerging, not Omicron. Those 3 tested 3 different times, a couple days apart. The 4th person was just recently, so may not have been Covid. We have a few different things circulating around here too.

1 Like

Ah. Yeah. Interesting. And, it appears, Omicron isn’t causing the loss of taste/smell issue, which further makes distinguishing it from any other cold difficult!

I’m sorry you got slimed! Hope everyone is well now. Ironically, we survived Disney but it took less than a week for DD to get COVID at school.

1 Like

Make sure you’ve had a discussion about what happens if someone gets sick, and a plan to go along with it.

As you may know, my sister and marathon partner became ill on Marathon Sunday and pulled herself from the race. While I ran, she got tested and she came up +

Long story short I’m getting the sense there may be some animosity from her around my decision to stay and fly back (as I could) while she drove home; I stand by my decision as she insisted she was fine to do this and I have tested negative while I almost surely would have been positive after 2 days in the car with her. It seems she might not have been entirely forthcoming about her feelings. Had we thought to have the conversation ahead of time - and to develop a plan when emotions were not so high (mainly hers from not being able to run after all that training) - I think it would have been better.

CDC says those who are positive must not fly; those exposed but asymptomatic may fly. In no case did anyone ever ask our status, not on the way down or home, and although the right thing to do is to adhere to the guidelines I share this just FYI.

13 Likes

Research is showing that rapid tests are not as accurate and may show false negative for Omicron. PCR is almost infallible though

3 Likes

If anyone is deluding themselves into thinking that folks who have tested positive will adhere to the CDC rules…I have someone I know who tested positive on Wednesday evening (with symptoms) and hopped on a flight this morning. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

I’m certain that is happening.

3 Likes

People are over it. They don’t care anymore about others or themselves. That’s why we just have to protect ourselves best we can.

2 Likes

This is very wise advice and something that I commonly overlook (talking through game plans for when things don’t go according to plan), and would have overlooked, had you not shared. So thank you.

4 Likes

I think our decision would have been the same (whoever is sick drives home provided they are well enough to do so, well one flies home as planned), but it feels like now that we are both home she either spent a lot of time on the road thinking about it or my mom got in her head or both. Because she was 100% on board with the plan - or at least she said so - but now it feels like she’s angry. At least if we had developed that plan before I could be assured that she was on board with it before it happened. And then if she’s mad it’s on her. I mean it is still on her - if she wasn’t okay with that she should have said as much - but I think you probably know what I mean.

7 Likes

I definitely know what you mean.

1 Like

Thank you! We are. No more than 3 days of symptoms for anyone. 4 missed days of schools for DD who was happy to return today.

We live in the DC area which got hit early and has stayed hard hit. I had an exposure at a super spreader event first half of December where everyone who was in one of the rooms got COVID - except me. It would have cancelled our trip (the one that has been rescheduled since June of 2020).

So arriving at Disney we knew what we were in for. I should have cancelled the majority of indoor dining - maybe that would have helped. Based on the checklist, we still made the right decision. Seeing my DD11 that relaxed was worth it. While we have had a much easier 2 years than many, it has been hard on her.

I am still the only one who never tested positive - I have 3 days left before I am official in the clear :mask:

3 Likes

Interestingly, Southwest makes you attest that you have not tested positive in the last 14 days. But that is the extent of the questioning.

1 Like

Sorry for the serial posts. I am sorry YOU got slimmed at school and hoping everyone is doing well.

Yes at what point do they “make you attest”?

A little pop-up screen when you are checking in for your flight?

:woman_shrugging:

1 Like