End January 2022 trip - Drive or Fly?

After reading all the comments, I agree with the ones that say your biggest risk is WDW, especially if your sporting a N95. That being said, if your so comfortable with WDW, what makes you so nervous with the plane ride? Is it just the uncertainty that the flight won’t be rescheduled/ canceled? If that’s the fear, I say drive. But if you really are concerned with the exposure… you may not be comfortable at WDW. Theoretically its good but their are PLENTY of instances where you are being unknowingly exposed because people don’t follow protocol and/or the protocol has weaknesses. I went Dec 2020, when protocol seemed to be at its highest. We still had plenty of exposure moments (with other guests, not staff). I felt uncomfortable sometimes and sometimes got over it. Didn’t make exposure any less though. I say try to fly but have a back up plan.

4 Likes

We just came back from a trip a few weeks ago. Flights were about 2 hrs each way. We hung out at an empty gate until boarding. No masks off in the airport or airplane. Wore KN95s. We didn’t eat inside at WDW and wore our masks in crowded outdoor areas as well. We felt the most unsafe in ride lines inside (not the airport/plane) where despite the rule for masks, people would pull them down, have them under their nose/on their chin, or in one case, a guy in front of us held his in his hand. When he got to the loading area, he told the CM that “he forgot” despite everyone around him wearing a mask. This was in a standby line. We used LLs as much as possible for faster lines to try to avoid more exposure. DD and I did not get Covid on our trip thankfully.

ETA: we used no Disney transportation on the trip. Took Lyft (masks, windows open) or walked.
Okay we did use the Skyliner but we were the only ones in there, no additional riders.

2 Likes

Ha. Yeah, my new one is better!

1 Like

Interesting concept. I’ll look into that, but I feel like the refundable flights are much more expensive, especially this close to travel.

It’s just a combo of things. I’m not overly worried about exposure, but looking to minimize it as much as possible. And yeah, worried about the flight be cancelled is a big one.

1 Like

I like the back up flight idea but now your adding to the budget if you have to use that second flight (refundable are usually much more expensive).

1 Like

That would be completely awful.

Tho we get freaky weather here in the mid-section, temperature drops particularly, trends are fairly common. Which helps avoid parking in the snow on the highway.

That 2010 trip home by way of Texas, we’d been bopping around the WDW bubble for several days. Completely oblivious until an overheard “storm” caused us to surface and research (and freak :flushed: ).

It sure is tempting to simply add on resort days . . .

Ah, but with the pandemic, most (all?) domestic airlines are offering travel flexibility across most/all fare types. Meaning, even if it’s non-refundable, you can change dates and/or cancel for travel credit. Rationale: if you test positive just before a flight, they don’t want you taking the flight simply because it’s “non-refundable”.

With award flights, presumably you can re-deposit the miles without penalty, essentially making it refundable.

Also, another thing I’ve been doing is booking both legs separately, rather than a round-trip. This gives me more flexibility in changing them independently.

For our recent trip:

• outbound flight to MCO - initially the Saturday flights were expensive, so I booked a Sunday flight. However, I kept tracking the Saturday flights. Closer to the departure date, the availability opened up (people cancelling due to Omicron?), and I ended up moving our outbound flight 4 times and gained an extra day, PLUS the flight ended up costing less (not counting the extra hotel night).
  • return flight from MCO - extended our trip by a few days, since Orlando had good weather forecasted, after a few initial rained out days. Again, managed to change our flights with less than 7 days to departure, and got back travel credit.
2 Likes