Enchantment

I liked it. I didn’t like HEA as much as Wishes. I think this show is a nice compromise between the two. The pyro seemed choreographed with the music, rather then music playing while fireworks exploded. And there were enough fireworks to satisfy me that it’s a fireworks show. I liked the instrumental part the best because I am more moved by it. Songs with words get in my brain. That’s not where my emotions are. The projections on the castle were difficult for me to see on the live stream, which actually ended up being a good thing because that showed me that they aren’t necessary for me to enjoy the show. Which also means that I don’t have to be on Main Street proper to be happy, I can watch from almost anywhere. I look forward to seeing it in person.

4 Likes

She doesn’t fly when I’m in the parks.

Good job you weren’t there then.

2 Likes

I saw a better stream of it, and the projections are a lot more intertwined with the fireworks than in HEA. HEA definitely made.more creative use of the castle architecture, but here the fireworks and projections were more connected. Different choices, both work well IMO.

1 Like

I wonder how much watching the OctoMetalocalypse the night before made me like Enchantment more. Had I not seen that, I mightve been more critical. At least there were no giant disco arms?

5 Likes

Truth

1 Like

I did too!

1 Like

Same. I found myself not even trying after a while and also making a mental note for front and center when in-park for at least the first go.

2 Likes

YES! They had to have known how bad Harmonious was, and intentionally debuted it before this. I found myself wondering the same: do I really like Enchantment this much or am I just relieved it isn’t the crime scene that is Harmonious or Kite Tails?

3 Likes

I cast it to my TV and it was difficult. Maybe easier in person. I like the projection mapping but always find it hard when they are just trying to force it into a movie screen. Great though when used to augment the castle.

One of my favourite moments in HEA was when one of the turrets becomes a rocket and takes off.

8 Likes

I know, right? Enchantment feels like it tried to be HEA, but used less popular songs and muddier projections. To be fair, hopefully the projections are a lot clearer than the live stream portrayed.

1 Like

Try to compare sections:

Journey (HEA) vs. Enchantment

1 Like

Did not care for. I do not like the projections at all and overall this seemed incohesive. But my partner pointed out that we can just go behind the castle and watch the fireworks without being distracted by the projections. Don’t get me started on the tacos…

1 Like

Just watched it. So I’ll rant about it.

This seems to be the Chapek standard. There’s no real narrative, it feels like they updated it because there were new movies they wanted to showcase that weren’t featured in HEA. And they were only given $50 and a box of fireworks to get it done.

For all of his faults, I do think Iger really cared about storytelling in his tenure as CEO. He may have lit the fuse of IP saturation, but everything he did had a cohesive story to it. I haven’t felt that way about anything Chapek has done, it all seems to be for the benefit of advertising the brand.

There was a point right before the Into The Unknown segment where I started thinking “This is just an advertisement for Disney+.” They crammed as many titles as they could and weren’t worried about any sense of cohesion.

The projection mapping is far less impressive in Enchantment. When I saw HEA and the turret of the castle took off like a rocket I was spellbound. They didn’t even try to do anything with the castle this time around. And the projections feel much less vibrant than it’s predecessor.

By the end of watching Enchanted -for the first time ever- I was already bored of You Are The Magic, it’s a painfully dull song. I also agree with assertions that the instrumental segments sometimes seem to go on forever. I feel like the show would’ve greatly benefited from more narration that could’ve pulled a story together.

In the end I wouldn’t be surprised if at the end of the 50th celebration, we’re presented another night time spectacular every bit as unspectacular as this one and again with frequent updates and new shows throughout Chepek’s tenure.

2 Likes

Wait, I’m confused, did she Fly for this new show? ( I haven’t watched yet, I want to see it in person, but Tink was my favorite part of HEA and usually when the waterworks started, so naturally I will be missing her!!)

Another tell is there has been no harmonious merch.

6 Likes

Yes she flew.

1 Like

ugh I can’t make up my mind if I should hold off from watching videos of Enchantment and Harmonious as I now have a slight chance of seeing them in person in december

I had the privilige of seeing HEA for the first time when it was very new, back then I had zero expectations as I hadn’t been to WDW in years and didn’t even know what show they were doing. So it was all set up to blow me away and it did.

I already have the assumption with these two new shows that they aren’t quite up to par, so should I prep myself by watching them in advance and thus not have my expecations too high? Or will they still be awesome in person and should only be experienced that way if possible?

Hold off. It’s always better in person.

2 Likes