ECV for DDad

I know there are a lot of threads on this and I read a bunch today. I still have a few questions:
Situation Dad is 70. No real mobility issues in normal life. He is part of the Honor Guard for the VFW and American Legion. In the past 2 years he has opted not to march in the parades, and has taken to riding on the bus they have and getting off and doing the services. To me that puts his limit of walking and standing right at Disney being too much.
He has reluctantly agreed he might need a ECV in the parks.
His pride is really an issue and I don’t want him to do anything that hurts it, as he is only going because we asked him to.
Ok finally to the questions: How bad are the buses for ECV? He has never used one and I will try and get him to practice, but that seems unlikely to happen.
How hard are they to use? DM and him argue about his driving all the time, I am picturing crowds and the ECV starting a lot of squables.
Our biggest CL is a 5 and that is at AK which seems to have more space.
How bad is it if he hits someone? Like do they get really hurt?
TIA for any advice, I am a little stressed about this.
We are paying for the trip so I was thinking maybe just eat the expense and rent the ECV the day of in the parks as needed, but I heard they can run out.

Had similar situation with DGM in early 80s but active…just didn’t think she could handle the amount of walking. I happened to sprain my ankle several weeks before trip and told her I was renting an ECV to share because I didn’t want to hold anybody back. My ankle healed quickly and she ended up LOVING the ECV…she went on rabbit (fast mode) on long people free stretches, beating us by a mile. She had no problem driving it, though I did “protect” her while exiting the fireworks by standing in front of her and clearing a path (more for her benefit than others). Stayed offsite and used one that could be broken down to fit in the back of our van, so can’t answer bus questions. It’s also ok to park it sometimes in more crowded areas (like by strollers) and walk into a ride or restaurant…give more freedom. I felt like the next time we went to the botanical gardens DGM could have really used the ECV, but VERY glad we had one at WDW.

1 Like

My DH found them really easy to use - but he was 39 not 70. Still they are pretty much pull the handle to go, let go to stop. That’s the worst part - no brake. People will run out in front of you and they don’t stop straight away even when you let go straight away. And they are huge, heavy machines. Yes if they hit someone, they really hurt. They will break bones if you run over someone’s foot.

It’s pretty easy getting them on the bus. DH was terrible at parking it on the bus but the driver usually helped. He is bad st parking a car too so if your dad is ok at that he should be fine.

1 Like

My mom used one for our January 2015 trip and will use one again when we go this November. Same deal. She’s mobile, but can’t do the walking required for a day at the parks. She had no training and easily learned to maneuver it when we got there. She was 74 at that time. I have never been hit by one, but I do know they have a speed control. I do think they stop relatively quickly, so as long as he’s paying attention it should be ok. That doesn’t mean someone won’t jump out in front of him, but you do the best you can. We had no issues getting it on the bus, but the driver will help if needed. Sometime my mom would get out and I would ride it on to the bus.

1 Like

i know you’re asking about ecvs but i wanted to suggest the wheelchair as an option. my mom (74) has limited mobility and walking is not an option. i considered an ecv but she felt more comfortable in a wheelchair. she was concerned about navigating the parks and hitting people.

i found the wheelchair easier than an ecv to move through the crowds and stop more quickly when someone darted in front. it also gave her the opportunity to observe and take everything in. lines were easy to navigate. using the busses was simple. most times, i helped my mom onto the bus and folded up the wheelchair rather than take the space reserved for them. other times, the driver helped her on the bus in the chair and secured it. and, cast members were terrific and helpful.

of course, you need someone to push the chair, which may not be possible.

2 Likes

My wife has arthritis issues and is fully mobile for “normal” activities, but cannot manage a full day in the parks without an ECV. We bite the bullet and rent at the parks each day. We always do RD, and have never had an issue. Even hopping to a different park mid day was no problem with availability. Also note, you only pay once; if you hop to a different park, show the receipt and they’ll give you one there.

1 Like

Thank you all so much!

Me and DW both use ECVs in the parks I rent from www.scootorlando.com. They have scooters as low as $25 a day and if you rent for 3 or more days I have a code to save 10%. The big problems with ECVs is starting and parking. When starting sometimes they don’t move so people think it needs more power and then they jump to life, be careful of this.

1 Like

My father’s wife rented one and had never driven one. She got the hang of it eventually and it was pretty easy to use, but before that she ran over two people. They had sore shins and feet but no major damage. I was mortified!!

1 Like

I think we will rent inside the park. Do they have umbrellas to rent or should we bring a clip on one with us?

No umbrellas available to rent.

The first time that DW rented one, she didn’t know there was a speed control. I spent most of a day at EP jogging to keep up with her…

1 Like