Early Theme Park Entry Replaces Extra Magic Hours

You could be right. I expect COVID procedures to be in place for most of 2021 (just guessing). It would be odd if they announced early entry nearly a year in advance. But maybe it was probably a bait and switch–no DME but hey look, one day you’ll be able to be in the park 30 min early. We will see.

4 Likes

True. RDing from off-site becomes almost impossible or pointless. This may create more demand for AH events, if/when they return. Probably a good amount of people willing to pay a little more to have access to some shorter lines (if there’s no other way) but not willing to pay the difference between off-site and on-site.

2 Likes

As an almost-entirely off-site guest, I still think it is a good move for Disney to do this. As someone who is staying off site, why should I get access to certain on-site resort privileges?

But we have found that it is still advantageous to RD as an off-site guest as well. Yes, on-site guests get ahead of you. BUt in this case, there will be fewer on-site resort guests, plus a good percentage of folks don’t bother showing up until lunch time. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Of course.
They’re all stuck with their luggage at Disney Springs wondering what happened to DME.

21 Likes

Ha! :smile:

1 Like

Oh c’mon, just “heart” the post!

7 Likes

Yeah, I’m confused by this as well. If HS opens at 10 AM, but we all know the gates actually open closer to 9-ish and are, therefore, in line around 8:15… what the heck time do we get there for the extra 30 minutes :laughing:

5 Likes

The following is all made up on my part:

Meeting at Disney HQ regarding on-site perks:

Manager: We need to reduce costs!

Staffer: Let’s eliminate all remaining benefits of staying on-site. No EMH. No DME.

Manager: But then how do we get guests to pay the on-site premium.

Staffer: Let’s open the parks 30 minutes early for on-site guests and enforce the stated opening time for off-site guests. Very inexpensive for us since we are already operating some rides early anyway. And now, anyone who wants to RD 7DMT, FOP or SDD will pay a big premium to stay on-site.

Manager: Brilliant!

10 Likes

I think we’ll have to line up 30 minutes earlier at 7:45.

Walking from BC… so we don’t miss the 7 am BG drop, I will have my family drag me by the ankle like Sadness as I tap screens.

4 Likes

I can see why they made these two announcements on the same day.

The loss of DME is unequivocally bad. Unless they have another announcement about a replacement coming, they’d lose business off of this.

But the new Early Entry is unequivocally good for onsite guests. 30 extra minutes every day for every park. In the past, even though I’ve always stayed onsite, I’ve rarely used EMH because some combination of 1) it’s for a different park than the one I wanted to go to that day or 2) it was at the right park, but I happened to be too tired / delayed / distracted from making it on time. So let’s say I’d get one EMH out of a 5-day trip.

But with this, problem 2) is still an issue, but with no problem 1), I’m more likely to hit maybe 50% of Early Entry days instead of 20%. So even though it’s only 30 minutes, I’d still be getting more minutes of exclusive access over the course of my stay than I would previously.

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think the timing is a coincidence. We’re taking away this thing you love, but look over at this other thing you love! The DME doesn’t take effect for a year, so I am thinking this early entry is also a ways off. It’s for a time when you don’t care about holding crowds for entry at the hub or elsewhere.

4 Likes

Here’s a thread, from Twitter, I thought summed it up well from a good source on these matters

3 Likes

Also, it gives plenty of time for those who see DME as a huge benefit to book 2021 trips they might otherwise not have to take advantage of it one last time.

1 Like

I wonder if these changes will cause more people to switch their primary park grouping. Not sure of the official word. But lots of people tack on a couple of Universal days onto a Disney trip. With these Disney changes, and Universal upstaging Disney lately, I wonder if people might primarily visit Universal and add on a few evening special events at Disney? Particularly considering how cheap the Universal annual pass is. Even if someone spent an equal amount on Disney special event tickets as they used to spend on regular tickets, they’d spend close to zero on shopping or eating at Disney.

2 Likes

Agree if Rope Drop is taken away from off-site guests, that is huge disadvantage. I can envision this early entry starting at the same time a ride reservation system begins. Off- site guests would be happy to pay extra to have some short lines, especially if they can’t RD anymore.

Not for the sleep in folks. Before I had kids, I never did RD but often went to Evening EMH. I can see families with teenagers being particularly upset about this.

7 Likes

I agree that Universal has been up staging Disney: 1. Announced reopening b4 Disney w/ C-19 safety protocols 2. continue to sell APs w/ great deals around them 3. They’ve been discounting resorts 4. Still have Express Pass (better than FP). 5. you can go anytime w/o a park reservation. Many of these influence local traffic a lot. I feel like Disney hates the local right now.

5 Likes

Someone asked about DLP… I think! So here’s what happens there.

8:30am park opens unofficially for resort guests
9:00am rides start running
9:30am park opens unofficially for day guests
10:00am park opening time

So resort guests have time to get in line, sometimes rides will start a little earlier, they can ride a couple and get in line ahead of day guests until official opening.

WDW could scan magic bands / phones etc for resort guests at every ride until official opening and let them use the FP line. Just like they used to at evening EMH or the EMM events.

They still have a problem with the change in procedure and keeping day guests out by using separate lines and having people congregate outside the parks.Not sure how they do this with social distancing.

2 Likes

I completely disagree. I went to Universal for the first time in October (the Florida) one and am in no hurry to go back. Am I the only non-Universal fan out there? I am taking my DD18 in April to experience the HP stuff, but don’t think I’ll ever go back again after.

3 Likes

We absolutely love it and other than his few favourite rides - the mountains, TOT, RnRC - DS16 would rather be at UOR the whole time.

2 Likes