Early memories of Disney World

We were on a family trip with 6 adults and me, a 4yo at the time. They were all standing around talking about who would order food and who would go find a table. I was bored of the convo so I was looking at the shadows on the floor. All the sudden, I looked up, and they were ALL gone! They had forgot to decide who would take me! Luckily, someone figured it out quickly and came back while I was still standing there!

As a pre-teen, we went again. My dad and I would mock the people giving the safety messages on all rides bc at the time, it would sound all muffled but super peppy! I also remember the “original” MGM Studios and the "behind-the-scenes attractions. In one of the tours, I got asked to pick up a giant boulder prop that was super light!

3 Likes

My first trip was in the spring 1982. I was 5. My parents took me out of kindergarten for a week to go. My dream was to meet Minnie Mouse. We kept an eye out as we went through the park, since at that time the characters would wander about. We were in line for the Hall of Presidents when Minnie Mouse came by. I was so excited that I bolted right out of line, ducking under the ropes. I was out of there. I left my parents behind in the dust, scrambling to exit properly and catch up with me. This is one of my few real memories from the trip. I think rest of what I “remember” comes from looking at pictures after the fact.

5 Likes

My parents, having nothing to do and nowhere to go at the moment, were able to oblige me with photographic evidence of meeting Minnie. That’s me in the polka dot shirt with Minnie and my brother. The kid in the red was just photobombing before photobombing was cool. No idea who it is.

Also in the provided evidence, a picture of the red fence around Dumbo for @heidelj:

6 Likes

Thanks! Definitely looks like it could fit a kid’s head

Disney Mythbusters rate your story image

4 Likes

When we went to WDW. It was my first flight. I was sitting on the plane with white knuckles, thinking, I am going to die and all because I wanted my children to meet Mickey Mouse. We got there safely. My mother told me, repeatedly, that I was building this trip up too much and that I was going to be disappointed. The next morning, as we entered MK for the first time, stepping onto Main Street, I burst into tears, in my head, saying, it was all that I had built it up to be.

7 Likes

I think I was about 5 or 6 when I first went. I remember being thrilled by the Jungle Cruise and mesmerized by 20,000 Leagues. While specific memories evade me, that sub definitely made a lasting impression about Disney magic.

2 Likes

Yes! It’s a shame they lost an attraction like that.

2 Likes

It was classic Disney escapism.
And it would’ve been a perfect “vehicle” for an Atlantis-themed ride.
IMHO Milo Thatch deserved a better fate.

2 Likes

What made it even sadder was that for years, we got to see this big watery lagoon doing absolutely nothing, knowing full well there used to be a ride there.

1 Like

I lucked out. I’m pretty sure I rode it my last trip as a kid, and when I came back as an adult, New Fantasyland was done.

1 Like

The first time we rode it was in the dark and I genuinely believed - even aged 17 - that we’d gone under water. We walked past it in daylight a few days later and I felt cheated!!

4 Likes

I was there in the summer of 1971. I could be fuzzy on the year but I have memorabilia dated 1971; wish I had an E ticket. I remember the ticket kiosks and getting “E” tickets for the awesome rides! I remember being amazed at the Contemporary hotel… the tile art visible riding through on the monorail. And the awe of the ana-matronics with the Country Bear Jamboree, Tiki tiki Room, the President’s Hall. I fell in love with it all at a young age (I didn’t disclose my age :wink: and I’ve been back so many times I’ve lost count. I still have my Winne the Pooh from that first trip in '71. It became a tradition that we were allowed one stuffed toy that I continued with my own children and they do with theirs now. Can’t wait to go back soon. <3

6 Likes

WDW opened in October 1971 so you must have been there right at the beginning when it was all shiny and new! Pretty cool!

1 Like

Does anybody know if there’s any little homage to 20,000 Leagues at WDW?
I’m thinking something akin to the Mr. Toad deed handover in Owl’s house.

1 Like

I think I saw someone mention a nautilus is hidden in the queue for Under the Sea. I don’t recall seeing it myself.

2 Likes

From my first visit, I remember my first walk down Main Street, the 15 year parade theme song, thinking Space Mountain was the best ride in the world ever, and riding IASW again while the rest of our party rode the Skyliner. I also remember Hoop-deDoo review and being so hungry because I only ate the corn (I was a super picky kid). I also loved River Country but am happy with Typhoon Lagoon nowadays. Lastly remember being bored as heck as the adults walked WS and drank in Germany. :joy:

4 Likes

Reading these memories people have as kids at WDW reminds me of my memories from at least elementary age. I don’t recall much before school.

A big deal to us were the colorful Disney 45 records with books. My parents were of the sort not to drink the koolaid - a toy was something natural found outside and we were tossed out the door right after breakfast.

Somehow tho, we did have the Disney records and books - maybe those lovely beings called grandparents are the reason. Whichever, I have good memories of the records and books, which are likely abominably scratchy sounding today! If I had any.

And, a wee bit later, visiting with Uncle Walt on Sunday evenings.

3 Likes

Wow! I’ve really enjoyed reading all your memories. It helped me remember some of my own. I live in North Carolina but grew up with a grandmother in California. My family of 6 used to camp cross country when I was a kid to visit her and other relatives. We went to Disneyland many times in the 50’s and 60’s. My first trip to WDW was in February 1972. I was in college at the time and our boiler broke down. They dismissed classes for a week and sent us all home with a refund of our meal allowance for a week. WDW hadn’t been open long and I really wanted to go so I convinced two friends to make the trip to Florida with me. The day we left it started to snow. We drove straight thru to Daytona Beach. It was so hot we had to run into a KMart (I think) to buy some shorts! We were on a shoestring budget so no hotel funds. We slept on the beach the first night and headed to Orlando the next day. In '72 you could always find some locals if you asked around. We made some friends that let us camp out in their back yard. We could only afford a one day visit with the cheapest ticket book. One of my main memories is how long the road was to enter WDW. It felt like it took forever. The Haunted Mansion was either down for some reason or still being built. I don’t remember the details. I remember riding the Skyway to get an overview. My favorite overall was the monorail.

8 Likes

Must have been down, I think it was an opening day attraction at WDW

2 Likes