Early Entry with a toddler

Hey folks!

So I had all my TPs ready for an early Dec trip and Disney just changed the opening hours of all my park days, making the parks open 1h earlier :sweat_smile: .

Because of this, I’ll probably won’t be able to have breakfast at the hotel and still manage to do EE, leaving me with two options:

1. Breakfast in the hotel and arriving a bit later

2. Using EE and having breakfast later in the parks

If it was only me and my wife, I would just eat anything and use EE, but this is our first trip with our son, a 2.5yo, so I thought about hearing your input about this decision.

1 Like

And give the kid some kind of fruit/granola bar to hold them over

5 Likes

3 Everyone have breakfast in your room before you head out to EE. It can be simple like the aforementioned fruit/granola bar, or cold pop tarts, cereal, etc. Then you can eat something more substantial later, in the parks.

5 Likes

I second this recommendation. This is what we did when our son was 2 year old at WDW.

2 Likes

My kids wake up early - so arriving at a park for a 7:30 EE was not a problem.

We would be up at 6/630 anyway - eat a granola bar, cereal, fruit, mini muffins in the room. We would leave for the parks around 7am - which is late for some, but I like to arrive right as (or 5-10 mins before) EE starts. They would be ready for a snack/2nd breakfast around 8:30/9. My kids could live on granola bars, goldfish, applesauce, so those snacks were easy to bring into the park.

3 Likes

Does your kid normally wake early? Or will you need to wake them up?

6:30 is sleeping in for my kids, so we do early entry. We just have bagels and cereal in the room and have a quick breakfast or even bring them and eat waiting for rope drop, and then usually have a snack mid morning- donut or pretzel or pastry or something.

3 Likes

This is the way :rofl: A 9:00 Mickey pretzel

1 Like

Agree with all of the above: assuming your toddler wakes up pretty early, don’t lose out on EE - you just get so much done at the start of the day with kids, and the parks are more enjoyable before crowds hit.

We usually do cereal in the room (we bring some from home and buy milk at resort), then head to parks for EE. If you want to be quicker out the door, you could also head straight to the parks and let them eat fruit/cereal bars in the stroller while waiting at security/taps/first attraction? We like taking 1-2hrs to focus on rides and then find a nice spot to sit down for a break with first snack. At MK, that’s the fruit and nutella waffle from Sleepy Hollow. At HS, you can get Mickey waffles on Sunset Blvd or the carrot cake cookie at Trolley Car Cafe/Starbucks. At AK, Kusafiri has nice breakfast pastries (as does Creature Comforts), or Yak & Yeti QS has more substantial breakfast items. At Epcot, take your pick from Les Halles, Karamell Kueche or Kringla Bakery. Or book a table service place for late breakfast.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Thank you all for the answers!!

Yes, my toddler wakes up early, so we’ll probably grab something on the way to enter the parks and stop to eat something more substantial after 1h30~2h of rides.

2 Likes

This is actually my favorite way to tour, if I’m rope dropping :slight_smile:

That 10am breakfast just hits different when it comes after a magical morning!

3 Likes

Awesome! I’m really excited for this trip: my previous one have been adults-only, or with older teens, so this one is going to be a completely different dynamic.

2 Likes

The other nice thing about going with a smaller child is that you will be rope dropping “2nd tier” rides - you can tackle Dumbo or Carpets or the Carousel or IASW - most should have shorter waits right away and the toddler might be able to ride a few times with shorter waits. And then you could hit up characters right when park opens.

Also, bring a spare set of clothes because there is a splash pad over by Dumbo. They will likely see the water and want to play for awhile.

1 Like

DD8 still talks about the time when she was 4 years old and got pixie dust on Dumbo so she could stay on for 3 rides in a row. It was more like we were one of the only the only families rope dropping Dumbo than pixie dust … but I’m not going to tell her that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That may hinder your attempt to do early entry. It might be better to have things on hand in your room by the night before. I don’t know where you are staying, but often the food court or QS places at the resort don’t open until 7:00 a.m., while Early Entry starts at 7:30, 8:00, or 8:30 depending on the park.

1 Like

Thanks @mkmuzzy . I think my English got confusing here.

I intended to say that, instead of eating in the room, we’re probably taking some quick snack with us and eating it while waiting to enter the park. What I wrote, however, is closer to saying that we’re still buying something when going to the parks, which is not out plan. Pains of not being a native English speaker :sweat_smile:

Thanks for the advice!

3 Likes

Our first trip to WDW with the DGDs, we had a 3.5 year old and a 13 month old. This last trip was to DL with a 7 and 5 year old and an 8 month old. We normally eat something in the room, get a snack mid morning in the parks, and eat lunch around 11:30.

2 Likes

Good point - I agree that early lunch is also key to preventing meltdowns, and both QS and TS restaurants are SO much more calm and pleasant around 11.00/11.30 than they are an hour later at peak lunch times. Easier to get a reservation (including walk up) too!

3 Likes