DVC Rumors

Right, that was pointed out by @melcort10. Although I have still not found an “official” announcement? I do know all the guides left the meeting yesterday saying it- but was it officially announced?

Just confirming what @melcort10 said.

I haven’t seen it reported it anywhere yet. I just had a look to see if anyone had posted a link. Couldn’t find anything.

The DVCnews report was a little weird with the language.

“Existing owners should be grandfathered under terms which existed at their time of purchase. ”

That just means if you currently qualify for the perks, you will still qualify even if you wouldn’t qualify under the new rules.

Which technically they don’t have to do, but which would really cause a stromash if they didn’t.

I don’t like the word “should”.

Gotcha! That’s just because it hasn’t yet been officially announced I think.

There are reports on DVC news that “ After September 19th the new direct purchase minimum will be aligned with the minimum for perks .”

And it’s now on the DVC website:

Important Information about Membership Extras:

Membership Extras, such as vacation options in the Disney and Concierge Collections, certain discounts, offers, and special events are incidental benefits. These incidental benefits are subject to change or termination without notice, may require the payment of a fee and cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions. Membership Extras are also subject to availability and block-out dates may apply, including high periods of demand such as Christmas and New Year’s Day. To receive any Membership Extras, purchasers must present a valid Disney Vacation Club Membership Card along with a corresponding valid photo ID. Effective September 17, 2019 to obtain a Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members must accumulate a total of at least 100 Vacation Points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. Disney and Concierge Collections options are not available for ownership interests not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. after March 21, 2011, and, effective April 4, 2016, Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. will not have access to Membership Extras.

Link to the dining discount page, scroll right down to the small print:

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/dining/

I don’t see it saying they won’t sell less than 100 points to new owners but I guess they don’t have to post that? I would love to know if that is true.

I’ve got a pretty good email chain going with a Disney DVC CM…because I’ve been waffling on it for so long. I’ll ask him and report back!

1 Like

Thanks!

I wouldn’t have thought so.

Up until now it’s always varied depending what resort. Even if they say it’s 100, I know people have bought as few as 50 at OKW & SSR.

However personally I think they should reimpose a minimum number.

There used to be a minimum, right?

I think way back it was something like 230.

When we bought it was 160 at Bay Lake; I think it was the same for all the resorts they were selling at that time. That was in 2010.

And then they started dropping it. In theory they still stay 100 but people get away with just buying 50 at some resorts.

I know they can’t stop the resale of 25 points, but the large numbers of people with only 25 or 50 points is increasing the pressure on studio availability. (And I know there are other reasons - Poly and CCV).

I’m late to the party here, but just thought I’d chime in that we bought an initial 50 direct at VGF in Jan 2015. We’re almost ready to add on, and when we last talked to our guide, it was a minimum 25 to add on, 50 if you wanted to finance. We were perfectly happy with just a few nights in a studio every other year, but want to start booking 1 bedrooms, so we’re debating if we want to go for a larger resale somewhere else and have 125 or 150 total, or if we just want to add another 50 at VGF so they’re all one contract for ease of booking.

Welcome! Do you think you will ever want to book one of the new resorts?

So far we just keep gravitating to VGF and AKL, and we’re trying Kidani for the first time next month. We aren’t opposed to split stays, and since we have no intention of selling our 50 at VGF, only potentially adding somewhere else, we could always do a few nights at one of the newer resorts and have the rest of our stay at one of the ‘phase 1’ properties. We absolutely love the peace and quiet of AKL (and ease of getting a room), and can see ourselves owning there very happily with a resale. As we get older, we enjoy more resort time and so far Jambo has been our favorite place to stay.

We’re probably never going to buy as many points as most families do, we like a little too much variety in our vacationing. But a week long trip every other year seems to be our sweet spot.

It sounds like a resale might work for you. Will you get the same use year?

We have September currently, and I’d obviously look for the same, but I’d be open to October as well, as we’re never going to go in August. Been there, done that, never again. :joy: