DVC for Dummies

Ooop! That was 2018’s points chart. Here’s next years.

There have been some changes. For example, now (if I can get a value two bedroom) I can get that for 199 points for a week during Choice Season.

1 Like

Yep. Point total, completely depend on your travel party, dates, and type of room. You can easily do a week at a studio during low-point season. Especially at OKW or SSR. If you want a 1-bedroom at Christmas time you may only get 2 nights. I combed over the point charts and had an excel spreadsheet going with likely potential tips and what points would be needed. We’re a family of 5 so while studios aren’t out, I’m more likely to book a 1-bedrrom. As my kids get older maybe even a 2-bedroom, which I guess I’ll deal with down the road if I need more points. :slight_smile: We have 135 which is the right amount for us based on our typical travel dates and style.

2 Likes

@wleejames -
I’d love to hear about your experience living in a 1 bedroom (at multiple DVC resorts) as a family of 5.

Overall I’m frustrated by the lack of information in general about how to stay in WDW as a large family. We’ve done a family suite at AoA and a now a cabin at Ft. Wilderness… but my options seem pretty limited beyond that.

That’s one reason I’m so seriously considering DVC.

Thanks!

@JonMcIntosh - We just purchased last fall and haven’t stayed yet but have a 1-bedroom at BWV in May. I’m excited to have a king bed since that’s what I have at home and going to a Queen feels so small. :laughing: We fit in a lot of different rooms on property with 5 but it can be tight. We’ve done the cabins and also done two connecting rooms at a value. You’re right tho, there aren’t a lot of options for families over 5 people.

1 Like

There are also moderate rooms at POR (and CBR which have a pull down bed as well as the two queens.

A number of studios at the DVC resorts can sleep 5. Sometimes you can book one for cash through Disney for not much more than a resort room. I’ve seen people post about that at both WL and AKL sometimes, also the Poly.

And a lot of the Deluxe resorts have rooms that will sleep 5 too. Some Beach Club rooms have a Day bed for instance.

This might help, although there’s no mention of POR or CBR.

Edit: If you click on the first link and click on each of the resorts from the main website the room summaries tell you how many they will sleep.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_GB/resorts/#/moderate

Here’s a page that summarises some of the options, but no mention of the moderates bar the cabins.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_GB/planning-guides/in-depth-advice/groups/

1 Like

Thanks @Nicky_S, but we have to find sleeping room for 6!

That last link is helpful! Most of that info, I gathered on my own… I would have loved to have had all that together in one place when I first started trip planning a few years back. Thank you.

Ah!

I would look into renting DVC points through a broker. You’d need a 2 bedroom villa for 6. There are 2 types of 2 beds.

• The dedicated ones have a master with a King bed and a second with 2 queens. Plus the living room, full kitchen, washer/ dryer etc.

• The ‘lock-off’ is a 1 bed villa with master (king) plus a studio - there is a connecting door but the studio also has it’s own entrance plus the kitchenette, and usually 1 queen and a pull down sofa (plus sometimes a second foldaway bed). Useful if you’re 2 couples, not so much if you have 4 young kids!

The different types are bookable. If it doesn’t say “lock-off” the default is dedicated. And BLT and Kidani will get you a third bathroom.

Not sure what the savings are for a 2 bed. I know the savings for a 1 bed aren’t as much as for a studio. But look into it. You can also rent privately but obviously you need to do checks on the renter and it involves trust on both sides. Mouseowners.com is a good site with lots of very long standing members who rent out.

1 Like

Thank you. This next trip is a Ft. wilderness cabin for us, but what you laid out here is primarily why I’m considering buying into DVC.

Your clear explanation on the difference between lock-off and dedicated is helpful. Didn’t realize that 2bedroom villas at BLT also got a 3rd bathroom.

One thing you might consider is bringing a blow-up bed. We did this at a value resort where their was just enough room on the floor next to the dresser to lay one out. Grandson was so tried at the end of the day he laid on it and was asleep within minutes.

You need to be aware that not only will the 6th person in a room for 5 not be eligible for EMH, fastpasses (although there is a way round that), DME from the airport etc.

But also that if you are found to be exceeding the room limit you will be asked to either pay for an extra room or, at worst, be asked to leave the resort altogether.

And apologies @DocHopper if that wasn’t what you meant. But @JonMcIntosh has already said he has a family of 6.

1 Like

I love this community! You all have such great experience and insight into the Disney world. So glad to be connected to each of you via Touring Plans!

1 Like

Resortloop Podcast has a monthly DVC Panel.

1 Like