DVC Crossed the line -- Who do I contact

I know it’s wrong and I’m NOT going to enact any efforts into doing so, but damn I want to play this to a point where they upgrade their room to Theme Park view.

2 Likes

That’s what Time share sellers do. There is pressure sales and then there is high pressure sales. None of them could care less if you can afford it or not. :face_with_peeking_eye:

But it has never been this way with DVC. It’s an important and significant shift in philosophy. Which we should be be surprised of in the time of #cheapek

5 Likes

Dear Mr. Dierksen

This morning, my brother, who’s trip is a month away and whom I have lent my DVC points to so that he may take his family on their first ever trip to Walt Disney World, was contacted via phone call about the possibility of purchasing an interest into Disney Vacation Club.

I cannot understate just how infuriated and disgusted I am over this!

I did not lend them the points so they may be a target of telemarketing to buy into DVC. I did not lend them the points so they can be harassed a month early from their trip when they’re already stressing out over the amount of planning needed to do for this short trip. I did not lend them the points to be asked to sacrifice part of their vacation to see a “model home”. I did not lend them the points to offer them up to the DVC marketing team as potential revenue streams.

This is a family that has barely an understanding of what Walt Disney World “is” let alone how the DVC works. And while, yes, on some level it would be a good opportunity to educate them, you’re expecting them to sacrifice a good chunk of their very limited vacation time, for which they are bringing small children, for a sales pitch when they have ZERO frame of reference for everything.

Their contact information for the reservation was filled out for the hotel reservation, not so the DVC Marketing team can use it. This is predatory and gross. A far cry from the welcoming sales tactics I was introduced to back in 2018 when I became a member. If I were in their position, I wouldn’t look twice at DVC now.

Is the modern DVC/WDW outlook so bleak that it is considered more beneficial to go after potential new members while they only have the fantasy of what Walt Disney World might be in their minds? Has the reality of what it truly is become a liability?

Had they been contacted after a completed (and hopefully enjoyable) trip, I would be far less enraged. They would have a better understanding of whether or not Walt Disney World (and subsequently DVC) would be in their future plans and a good fit for them, and they would have the experience of the trip to make a far more educated decision on investing. As it is, they are being asked to buy in when it’s nothing but uncertainty other than the high price it already costs to visit WDW.

Further, wouldn’t it be wiser to contact them only after the trip and “get them” while they’re riding high on how good a time they had? Instead, they have been contacted when their anxieties of “something is going to go wrong” is at their highest. This can only be described as a massive misstep.

I do not want them contacted again like this and I hope no further negative impacts will come from my lending them the points.

Thank You,

Just need to come up with a subject line other than ‘YOUUUU MOTHER HUBBARDS!"’

10 Likes

Inappropriate Sales Tactics

That is a well-written letter. I hope it has an impact

6 Likes

I hate to say it but this probably will do you little good. In fact it might work against you. Like telemarketers on the phone, once they get a response you go on a list that they sell to other telemarketers. These sales people are very hard skinned. You can imagine they get a lot of negitive responses but to them that is good because they know they have a live contact and they will pester the heck out of you. Best way to keep them from future sales pitches is to just ignore them and they will move on. Just say’n

I have actually done a DVC sales talk - in 2018. Very pleasant experience.

I actually received a phone call in June similar to the one @Randall1028’s brother had.

Not the same at all.

I’ll be writing as well. If I send it to my sister properly prepared, she’ll “write” also.

4 Likes

This does not apply at all.

We are not dealing with your run of the mill telemarketing setup here. This is DVC, something I’ve already contributed money toward. I’ve been a “live contact” since I signed up. I, myself, expect these calls to me.

But they’re not contacting me. The problem is they’re using connections and information from my account to prey on MY guests. And before they even go.

I’m sure I agreed to this at some point in the legalese, but it doesn’t make it acceptable and there’s no reason an email complaining about this, when it never was like this before, should “work against me.” I have not demanded anything other than for them to be left alone.

It’s also not going to the person who called or a nameless email account only. This is going to the GM and Guest Services, who do have to read this stuff, and who also has a track record of responding.

5 Likes

At one time DVC was totally different than other time shares. Many years ago, you basically had to contact them. That’s all changed. They now have time shares like Windom and the rest. Now you can own them in Hawaii and many other places besides Disneyland and WDW. They have become pushy and they are not all employed by Disney. Timeshares are Big money and though they can be a good deal under certain circumstances, they can also be a trap and a big burden on those who cannot afford them such as the young that are already trying to make ends meet. The sales person has one goal in mind for all timeshares now, sell the most points they can and convince you he is doing you a favor and saving you money in the long run. In some cases this can be true if you use the product enough. Now take a look at what it is going to cost you upfront. First you have the initial investment which is agreed to but paid over time with interest. Second you have yearly upkeep fees. Third you just don’t get any time you wish but must bid for openings which may not be the times you wish. There are so many rules and paths you must follow, it can be VERY confusing. To give you a look at how these timeshares are in Disney’s favor is even if you decide to sell you must make it available to Disney first and you cannot undercut their prices. As stated, Disney used to be different than the rest but not anymore. They can be high pressure sales and before you know it your over your head. Never think for a second that they will not sell your name or your friends names to other timeshares because they will and do in a instant. Bottom line: If your interest in a timeshare be sure to contact someone that owns one to get all the particulars before signing on the dotted line. Understand what your getting yourself into and make sure you can afford said time share. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Yes, that was 4 years ago. You may have noticed there have been many changes at Disney. First and foremost the CEO who could care less about the magic of Disney, and is finding everyway possible to get more money out of everyone. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

They can get Dave’s DVS

This letter is great. And good for you on calling them out on this behavior. It’s only by keeping them accountable for their actions that the product will remain as something we love. I would hate to see it move into more of a typical timeshare shark fest.

I would even consider emailing Pete Warner, or posting in the DVC Fan Fb group asking if anyone else has had a similar experience. His platform is influential.

6 Likes

A few things.

There are 3 locations outside of Disneyland and WDW.

All timeshares have maintenance fees.

All DVC sales people are employed by Disney.

When it comes to selling there is a thriving resale market. DVC have first refusal but it makes no difference to the seller whether DVC buy it back or not. You still get the price you offered it at.

You might be right on these issues. I don’t own DVC. I have been to a number of Timeshare seminars. The point I was trying to make is Disney employed or not they are all sales people trying to get you to buy. They will use whatever information they can glean from you or eslewhere to make as many contacts as possible. They are NOT your friends. If you can afford one fine but if not don’t let them talk you into one because that is what they are good at. As you can tell, I am NOT a time share fan. There are others out here that will disagree and they probably know more about them than me. Now some are getting bothered by DVC where this never used to happen. Now it apparently does.

That nephew had better be on the list for Fairy Godmailer - when/if they decide to go and have told him. It sounds like the boy - and his whole family - needs to feel some pixie dust.

5 Likes

What a great idea!!!

2 Likes

They’ll be telling him the Sunday and be down there on the Monday after(Labor Day weekend). I’m told they’ll be doing a bit of a scavenger hunt around the neighborhood that will be him collecting clues ultimately telling him there’s a surprise waiting for him at the house. This is being done while mom decorates his bedroom with the reveal.

I’ve offered to sneak in and do the decorations while they both go on the scavenger hunt with him, but, like with everything, I was shut down.

What’s the godmailer thing? Do I have to sign them up for something?

4 Likes

I love your letter. Very well written and to the point while still respectful.

Here’s the thread:

https://forum.touringplans.com/t/become-a-fairy-godmailer-for-liner-kids/5110

1 Like

Ah ok. I don’t think this’ll work then as they’re doing a ultra last minute reveal.

1 Like