Does having a booked room increase the chance of applying a discount later?

I think any good Disney centric TA should be doing this - I know I do it!

2 Likes

PS - a TA can book a “ticketless package” and you’d only have to front the $200.
:wink:

1 Like

Oh that is interesting. I saw that the vacation packages are only a $200 deposit. Are discounts more difficult to apply to packages though? I heard that a while back and always book room-only for that reason.

Not really. Usually when people book a package (with tickets or without) and a discount comes out, the discount is applied without issue as long as there is a discount available for that room type.

1 Like

That said, some people prefer room only bc the cancellation policies are better.

2 Likes

First off this is the 50th Aniverary of WDW. To get a room at all is a accomplishment. TA’s like to book you right away promising that if a discount appears they will get it for you. Not always so. I have used a popular TA site out here that used to get Great deals. Not so much anymore. Magical Vacations Travel MVT is the site I am referring to and my agent was Dary. However there are many TA’s their and on other Agency

1 Like

MVT is a special kind of agency though, so it’s not exactly an apples to apples comparison. MVT buys blocks of rooms at wholesale and then resells them at a discount. They can only offer deals if they get a good price on their room block.
Any traditional agency worth their salt should be able to get a publicly offered discount on a regular reservation as long as the discount is open for the room type the client has.

I know you weren’t really happy with a past TA experience and that truly stinks, but please don’t lump all of us in the same boat.

3 Likes

Yeah, I kind of figured it might be wise to get a room booked as people start to plan for the 18 month long celebration. I think I will book a room now and then possibly transfer my reservation to a TA closer to the trip for the best chance of a discount.

You can only transfer a reservation to a TA within the first 30 days after you make it and only if it isn’t paid off. FYI.

1 Like

Oh, I had no idea! Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

@ninjasherrie, I know if you have a room booked, package or otherwise, and a discount comes out then you can apply the discount if your room type and dates match.

But presumably, the more people who have a particular room type booked, the less chance they will have a discount for that room type? Since the whole point of a discount is to get people to book in the first place.

So therefore it becomes a balancing act between “how important is it that I get this room type at this resort” vs “how important is it I can get a discount”.

Would that be accurate or am I missing something?

1 Like

No you are correct. I don’t actually have a room preference. Just whatever is the best deal I can get. If there’s a more expensive room category that becomes the cheapest option once discounts are released, then that is what I’ll be going for.

2 Likes

and… or… they are military and get their tickets through the ITT-MWR office, but military also need the ability to cancel as needed.

3 Likes

That’s correct. Most people will try to book the room they want first hoping to get the discount, and then if they can’t, move to a different room or resort. A small few will just keeps the room they have and pay rack.

3 Likes

MVT doesn’t work like other TAs for their room deals. They buy blocks of rooms from Disney for set dates at a better discount than Disney has offered in the past and everything they do is thriugh Disney group sales. It’s a bit of a gamble for them because they are betting they can sell all the rooms they’ve committed to buying from Disney and because it’s done under a contract they are on the hook for those rooms whether they book them or not. So if Disney doesn’t have a sale going on during a certain period or the sale is kind of lame you can get some very good deals through MVT. Having said that, they also provide your standard TA services if they don’t have blocks of rooms available for your dates or whatever.

I had my room booked through them for my initial trip that was supposed to be in May 2020 and I had a very nice rate. Things kept getting postponed and cancelled and when I checked some rates through them for 2021 it wasn’t as good and I just ended up booking room-only on my own. Having said that, when I go back again I will definitely be checking their rates again to see what kind of deals they have.

Anyway, that was just a longwinded way of saying please be nice to the TAs. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That used to be the case, but lately that is no longer happening. They are just another TA with sometime decent offers but they are now rare.

Unless you want to do the work yourself, a TA will do the same for you, in fact that is how they do things these days and it is easier to change your reservation through them or cancel. Book now and change or cancel later.

This is true and I used them when this offer was available. Unfortunately you will find because of the pandemic Disney no longer offer those great deals. I am afraid you will find at least at present that they have know better options than any other TA. Tried booking a deal like I used to get but none were available. Maybe later but with everyone flocking back deals are hard to come by and most are paying rack rate and are lucky to get the resort or room of their choice.

That’s why I just ended up booking room-only myself. However, that doesn’t mean they won’t have good deals again. Since I want to do a split stay with WL as one of my resorts next time I will see what kind of deals they have available for WL. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Garden wing discount last November. It was a really good deal. Yeah, it’s the “cheap” rooms, but I loved my ground floor room facing the lake. Walking to MK was the best. Cheap wasn’t really cheap, though. Just cheapER. :laughing:

2 Likes