Does having a booked room increase the chance of applying a discount later?

I’m hoping to book The Contemporary for May 2022. We would only be able to afford The Contemporary if we can apply a discount later. The room-only deposit is pretty hefty, so the longer I can wait to book the better. But at the same time, I don’t want to miss out on the room type we want. (Garden Wing - Standard View) aka, the cheap room.

Now, when discounts come out, I know there are only a certain number of discounted rooms available. Does already having a room booked give me a better chance at applying a discount? Or do the discount rooms just run out first come first serve, regardless of whether you already have a reservation?

Thanks for the help!

Increases your chances? No. If a discount becomes available, you need to jump on it before all the discounted rooms are taken.

But booking early might be worth to ensure you get the room type you want. On the other hand, they might not offer the discount on your preferred room type!

Just be ready to pounce when discounts are announced.

1 Like

Yeah, historically I’ve been able to grab discounts on time… I’m just worried that the Contemporary will probably run out quickly. And I have my heart set on being able to walk to MK next trip. Plus the monorail will be a nice perk.

As long as you can tie up the deposit money, there is no disadvantage booking early. May is a good time since crowds are lower, typically. So hopefully a discount will come out. If not, you can always cancel and rebook elsewhere.

2 Likes

Another thought. Normally using a travel agent would not be an option since I love planning our trips. But can I assume that the agent would be able to secure a discount faster than the general public? I could try out the TP service I suppose.

I haven’t used a TA since 1995, so perhaps a TA liner could provide feedback on that one.

If you use a TA, they can wait on hold for hours applying the discount. They can also be up at 5 AM to start trying to apply the discount when those come out as well. Using a TA cost you nothing it is well worth it in my opinion.

4 Likes

I don’t know the answer to this, but I wonder if the Garden Rooms at CR have been included in the discounts the past few years. 10 years ago it seemed like most types of rooms were included in each discount, but more recently it seems like the type of rooms included were more limited, especially the “lower” priced rooms at the deluxe resorts. Maybe another forum member can shed more light on this.

1 Like

That is what I figured. But at the same time, a TA has multiple clients… bad luck could mean my discount doesn’t get applied first.

Yes, that is also a good point. The Garden Wings might not get a discount at all. I wonder if anyone here has had a garden room with discount recently? Anyone know?

The TA I have used has always been able to get me free dining, room discounts, ADRs and FPs that I wanted when I wanted. We’ve been during fall break and I know she had multiple clients going at the same time because we all worked at school together. I think other agents in the office all help out.

2 Likes

That is good to know!

This.

There are times my TA has contacted me and either said “I changed you to the new discount” or “You have a better deal than the new discount” or “Your room type is not included in the new discount, but these types are if you are interested in changing” even before I knew there was a new discount out.

4 Likes

Who do you use for your TA? I imagine some TA’s are better than others. Those are the kinds of things I would want from my TA!

1 Like

I know they were included in the pin code discount I received last fall for this spring/early summer.

2 Likes

I use Jacki with MEI-Mousefan Travel. I think any of their agents are equally great from reports I’ve heard though.

1 Like

Ooo, that’s good news!

Thanks @lizzieanne771!

1 Like

Yep!

2 Likes

You’re welcome!

1 Like