Do you have a "local park" you go to (not Disney/Universal)?

We have two Cedar Fair parks close by - Cedar Point (the only good thing about Ohio :wink: ) and Michiganā€™s Adventure. Kingā€™s Island is also drivable, and Holiday World isnā€™t that far as well - but alas, I have yet to go to either one.

I can say I made it to Six Flags Autoworld during its short existence. Rather a dubious honor, thoughā€¦ :wink:

We have no theme parks in our lovely state of south Australia. But we do have wineries and beaches :wink:

1 Like

We purchase Busch Gardens (Williamsburg, VA) fun passes each year! My DH and I loved it before we had kids and now our DSs love it too! We are planning our first WDW trip for Feb 2016!

We have Cedar Point, but the waits are outrageous! We love Kennywood in PA - it is a real deal old school amusement park, where many of the coasters are the good old rickety wooden ones that you fear will fall to pieces as you are cresting the hills. It is reasonable and often times not horribly crowded.

1 Like

Valleyfair. We havenā€™t done it yet since being back from the mouse, so we will see if the kids are disappointed!

Hello! Iā€™m new here! Just wanted to chime in and add that we are season pass holders to Dutch Wonderlandā€¦ Itā€™s a beautiful park for younger children. In previous years weā€™ve done the Dutch Wonderland/Hersheypark season pass comboā€¦ But couldnā€™t justify the price this year.
If you are ever in Amish country with your little ones definitely give it a shot!!

1 Like

We just went to Sesame Place in PA. It was pretty fun (and we had a Groupon), but as soon as I walked into the bathroom I thought - not Disney. The shows illustrated the same thing ā€“ as did the rides ā€“ some of which only fit 16 or so each time around. The lines moved so slowly. So - fun for a day - not like Disney where we could be for a week or more.

1 Like

We have 6 Flags New England about 2.5 hours from us. We also have a couple smaller parks near usā€¦ Canobie Lake Park is about an hour and 15 minutes. Itā€™s a nice little park. We also have Funtown / Splashtown which is a combo amusement / water park. The water park is cool. They have a slide where the floor drops and you free fall down like you do on the AquaDunk on the Disney Magic.

Are you in Massachusetts? I have never heard of Funtown/Splashtown

Iā€™m up in Portland, Maine. We are only about an hour and a half from Boston though,

1 Like

We live in Southeastern Michigan and Cedar Point in Ohio was our local park when I was growing up. We also have a Michiganā€™s Adventure on the west side of the state but Iā€™ve never been.

1 Like

Weā€™re season pass holders for Silver Dollar City! Definitely not Disney, but it does help fill the time between trips :slight_smile:

1 Like

Canobie Lake (Iā€™m here in Metrowest Boston.) I can get to Six Flags New England, but I havenā€™t been since it was Riverside Park. Hershey is actually my go-to; itā€™s a six hour drive from here.

We have a few within driving distance. Paramountā€™s Kings Island near Cincinnati Ohio about 1hr 40 min drive. Holiday World in Santa Claus Indiana which is about a 2 hour drive. Last we have Kentucky Kingdom 1 hour 10 min drive. I havenā€™t been to Kings Island in several years but it is a great park. I went to Kentucky Kingdom last summer and they have some great deals for people coming in from out of state you get 2 days for the price of 1 its a smaller park but a lot of fun for being so close to us the water park there is nice. Holiday World is a fantastic place if you have never been it has some great rides as well as free drinks and it is a very clean park!!!

2 Likes

Six Flags St. Louis is a short drive, Worlds of Fun and Silver Dollar City are weekend trip distance. Weā€™ve gotten Six Flags season passes on years we have a WDW trip as a tune-up for Disney. Walking around in the heat for hours, waiting in interminable lines, and eating terrible, overpriced food takes some conditioning. The theme is not as extensive as Disney, obviously, but I think theyā€™ve actually done a good job of spiffing the place up the last couple of years.

Worlds of Fun is nice, and was the park of my youth, but itā€™s no better than Six Flags for my money, and farther away.

Silver Dollar City is great. The 1880-something theme is pretty awesome, and, especially at the front of the park, they stick to it. The craft demonstrations are amazing, and I love how theyā€™ve gone out of their way to integrate the park into the natural surroundings. We had season passes last year, and visited one time in the summer, and for a long weekend at Thanksgiving to see the holiday decorations, which are also pretty fantastic.

2 Likes

We are close to Carowinds and remember in the old days when it was a theme park vs. an amusement park. It was actually modeled after WDW, complete with lands, BGM, and a train and monorail. We love it for its history and for today. We are passholders.

My local park is Yellowstone.:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

That is us with Yosemite, however we like to steer clear of the park completely during the summer months, just too crazy. Instead we heard over to Sequoia, which is also gorgeous, but not as bad during the summer.

1 Like

Oh boy, Yosemite is crazy! But stunning! Thereā€™s talk here of limiting personal vehicles etc.here but for now the park is massive enough to be able to handle the traffic. Iā€™ve been to Sequoia, too. Thereā€™s so much beautiful land to see in CA, itā€™s a good thing I have relatives there.:grinning:

2 Likes

Several national parks use environmentaly friendly buses in the parks.