Do you ever eat lunch in line to save time?

The good thing is we are willing to change plans to accommodate! I would never think my child’s snack preferences would be more important than another child’s health.
So, veggie straws and goldfish crackers it is!

5 Likes

I was devastated (only slight hyperbole there) when my son was diagnosed as peanut allergic (and subsequently, two more of our kids) because peanut butter was a mainstay of my diet. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were my daily lunch. Peanut butter on graham crackers were an almost daily bedtime snack. Peanut butter on my toast in the morning was a frequent breakfast.

And then, we have to eliminate any and all peanut products from our home. :frowning: I practically went into a period of mourning! For a while, I brought in a jar of peanut butter to work so that I could have some away from the kids.

I’ve FINALLY gotten to the point where I find almond butter ALMOST as tasty. Almost. But it’s taken like 20 years. At least I can eat it without worrying it will kill my kids, though! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I just replaced my PB crackers in my Disney grocery order with pringles and goldfish. Slightly better alternative snacks?
The thing is, my DS4 is obsessed with PB. But if I DON’T have it as an option, he will eat something else. So we can accommodate.

4 Likes

Those with peanut-allergic kids (myself included) thank you! :slight_smile:

Now, I’ll be clear that we don’t expect the world to stop consuming peanut butter. But we appreciate it when, out in public, people are conscious of it.

In the meantime, anytime we’re out in public, my kids are wearing belts with their Epi-Pens. Just in case!

In positive news, progress is being made on a treatment for those with peanut allergies to make it not so deadly. Very much looking forward to that day for my kids.

5 Likes

I hope for continued progress!
Also - we will still consume our PB in the hotel room :slight_smile:

1 Like

Always better to be ready. It is frustrating, however, that there are people out there (not directed at anyone on TP, just out there in the public sphere) that think the epi-pen is a cure-all… just stab and go on with your day. It’s not. An epi-pen is designed to save a life, not return the person to pre-attack health, so avoiding the allergen is always preferable.

2 Likes

True.

Many months ago, my eldest son accidentally consumed peanut flour. He immediately injected the epinephrine, and then spent 4+ hours in the E.R. for observation to make sure he didn’t react further.

5 Likes

Yes. I teach special ed and we have some kids that would react even with the smell of it. NYC schools are not peanut free (surprisingly),which means the kids who would react to the smell have to be isolated at lunch. A friend taught a kid who was that allergic and she could not even eat peanut butter for lunch - even brushing her teeth and washing her hands was not enough to make her safe so she had to eliminate that option from her lunch.

1 Like

I was never the biggest PB fan but DH sure was.
Sadly, DS is allergic to all nuts.
And seeds. And beans.
Bye-bye hummus. :sob:

He just left for college 8/30 and we bought some PB. Thought I’d be able to make some PB&J lunches as a time saver. My young two kids found it disgusting. :open_mouth:. And the older/other three only marginally like it. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

We homeschool so DS didn’t have school issues. But as a 19 year old we were the family who had to introduce the whole idea of food allergies to many of our groups. (2019 looks way different from 2002.) When people offered to go the extra mile it meant the world to us. So many acted put out, and all we were asking was to hand him out his safe snack and monitor the other kids. I never dreamt to ask others to abstain. That so many places are intentional must comfort many families.

2 Likes

Loving all the talk of allergy concerns. We are going to Disney in January with my 2 year old who was diagnosed with multiple allergies at 4 months old. One of my concerns with the trip is being in lines for rides and people snacking. Hearing of so many other aware people makes my heart happy.

3 Likes

I’d still be VERY vigilant. These forums are a tiny portion of the people who visit Disney. I’d venture to guess that many are going to be clueless about such things (on another forum, someone reported walnut shells all over the floor of a POTC boat at MNSSHP).

4 Likes

I plan to, thanks. We are working with a travel agent who specializes in Disney with food allergies as well.

1 Like

Disney is fantastic in and of itself. It’s other people you have to be wary of - those Disney and even a TA specializing in allergies cannot control…

2 Likes

I too have a DS allergic to peanuts as well as a random assortment of tree nuts. That is too confusing for a kid, so we just eliminated all nuts. We are very lucky though bc his allergy isn’t severe, he has only had a reaction through ingestion. He also doesn’t seem to be affected by heavily processed nuts/nut products. For example, he can eat at Chick-fil-A even though they use peanut oil in their fryers. His dumb parents didn’t know about the peanut oil until years later!! (It’s me, I’m one of his dumb parents :pensive:)

3 Likes

My son has attended 3 different schools in SC and NC, none of which have been nut-free. They did separate kids with food allergies in the cafeteria at his first school though, but none since.

Our biggest issue now is with athletics and the after-game snacks. All the families take turns providing snacks for the team and items with PB or nuts, or items processed with/near nuts are always a really common snack choice, despite having a teammate allergic to nuts. No one seems to care. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

We plan on bringing our lunch meal in each day when we have our grandkids visiting. I was informed on this forum that we could eat eat our lunch in a quick service restaurant. I am a checker so last week I asked the3 CMs at Pinocchio’s Haus if it was OK if we (a party of 8) were discreet. All 3 replied that it was OK and we didn’t need to be discreet . My plan is Pinnochio’s Haus @ Magic Kingdom; Sunshine Seasons @ Epcot; and Restaurantosaurus (sp?) or Pizzafari @ Animal Kingdom; still working on the Animal Kingdom TP. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Technically, peanut oil should be safe because it doesn’t contain the proteins that cause allergies. However, I avoid it just to be sure.

2 Likes

I really have no idea, I am just aware of allergies to it. Aside from that, we’ve just done our best to avoid anything that mentioned any nut/nut product. He turns 12 very soon and we haven’t had a reaction since he was a toddler, so I suppose we’ve done a decent job. :joy:

1 Like

If it is very busy, be prepared to be turned away and eat on a bench. This forum is not official and just because it was allowed before does not mean it is allowed. I have seen people not allowed to sit without food when places are busy.