Do people always just optimise?

I should perhaps have added that a) I do have the luxury of time and b) I also will play around for hours (and hours) using Evaluate to work things out. And usually have several plans for each park before finally settling on one.

1 Like

Like @Pod I avoid the zig zag so I never optimize. I agree that optimizing is great for maximizing number of rides but the TPs are usually too much go go go for my family. I wish there was a way to force it to stick with the least distance between each step. Reduce walking doesn’t do that, for me anyway.

2 Likes

Yes, if you go to edit at the top of the touring plan it will open the screen to adjust your park time, date, copy the plan and make notes. There is a box to “publish” then it will give you a link you can copy and paste for others to look at. They can’t edit, but it helps.

I have optimized all our plans this time knowing I will adjust on the fly and possibly drop one all together depending on circumstances. That being said I have minimal wait times although we are criss crossing a park multiple times. Not my favorite, but DH will be happier. This is a man who will drive five miles out of his way in order to avoid a stoplight he has deemed ‘slow.’ The plans give us a place to start and then we’ll adjust.

:joy: :joy:

I optimize first to get a sense of general timing of when I should do things. Then I shuffle around. I wish there was a way where you could keep certain steps and optimize the rest.

4 Likes

optimize will sometimes leave big gaps in your day if ride waits typically are shorter in the evening (having you wait until after 6 or 7 to ride them). I hate the big gaps. I’d rather just hit all my must -do’s, and then gap at the end to re-do or add extra. I don’t want gap in the middle and then just fingers crossed that the evening will work out as planned. So i optimize the morning (those first 2-3 hours seem to be critical), then once I know what is the optimal order for those hours, keep those in the same order, and then just mix it up and evaluate the rest of my day until I arrive at a plan that i like with the right balance of walk/breaks/rides/back-tracking.

I start with optimize after I select my items, then I massage and evaluate from there.

I wish there was a priority button for the rides. Like I might do PP if there’s time and I’m there, but otherwise, just ignore it from the plan. Must do BTMMT. Don’t put it last on the list.

I do this too, when in the planning stages.

If things go south on the day-of, I tend to just delete the lower priority rides and optimize, though. I don’t want to spend my time in the park reordering a plan and evaluating a million times!

1 Like

And reordering things on the app is really hard. If you miss the button or hit it twice, you’ve suddenly optimized and messed it all up. I actually kept an extra copy of my plan just in case I messed things up, but I’m with you, just delete it and if you have time later, you can add it in.

1 Like