Do leading reservations still work?

So what’s to stop someone from making a leading reservation, booking FPs, then moving it until after their trip, then cancelling the whole thing at the end of their actual trip? Would that work or would they see that the FPs are attached to a ressie that’s not within the dates?

The thread seems to be that FPPs are connected to the hotel reservation under which they were made. If you cancel that, the FPPs are canceled. Regardless of whatever overlapping or later reservation one might have.

On changing, there is some reporting that Disney is on to this loophole, and is requiring the reservation to be cancelled and then re-booked. When the reservation is cancelled, the FPPs are.

Just as I understand what I am reading. I have no inside information.

2 Likes

Ah, that would make sense, then. Because you could, by moving that leading reservation, use the FPs before cancelling the ressie.

Move the reservation two weeks or more?

Is there a two week cancellation fee?

At least five days plus your FP days?

Sounds like a loophole waiting to be closed. Simple closure: Cancellation penalty timeline is based on original start date of vacation, regardless of when you move it to.

Never planned on doing a leading reservation, but am now looking it because I will be on a plane at the time of my FP opening. (Kind liner has offered to make them for me, but I’d rather make them myself if I could). Current trip 8/10-8/17. If I were to book 8/9, booked FPs a day early, then eventually cancelled 8/9, I am seeing that all the reservations might be cancelled. Is it any different to book an entirely separate reservation 8/9-8/17 in terms of cancellations? Can I even have two different reservations under my name or would that be a problem, too?
Prob won’t try this but trying to figure out all of my options.

2 Likes

DOnt know about fastpass but I have on many occassions had several reservations under my name for overlapping dates.

That would be moving a reservation from before one stay to after it, so you’d have none of your original dates included in your new stay, correct?

They wouldn’t allow you to do that. You’d have to cancel and rebook. They have been clamping down hard on changing reservations, even before they started cancelling any FPs. Now we know why, all part of the gradual elimination of loopholes.

Almost everyone thought cancelling within 30 days would be fine because “Disney IT can’t track the date FPs were made”. Some software developers here tried to explain how they could do it. The testing they’ve already done shows they can.

2 Likes

Speaking as someone that stays offsite, I’m glad for the clampdowns. This was the first year when I had to stalk the MDE to get the FPs I wanted. All other years (okay 2017 and back) I had no troubles, well only a little trouble and certainly hope that I could get what I wanted. To hear that people have to be not only staying on site, but staying on site for multiple days in order to get the desired FPs suggests that things are broken with the system. And then to hear that there were loopholes that were used by people making money off them is really frustrating. It also means that ordinary people were having to stoop to the same tactics to be successful in getting their vacation plans in order and that just snowballs.

1 Like

This is called a split stay. Everything I have read (and my own experience) is that FPP made with split stays (Stay A and Stay B) will keep ALL FPPs for Stay B when Stay A is cancelled with the exception for the overlapping checkin/checkout day which apparently is linked to Stay A in the system. Any FPP for Stay A are, of course, cancelled. Example: Stay A is 7/1-7/8. Stay B is 7/8-7/15. Your FPP booking day opens 60 days before 7/1. You book FPPs only for 7/8-7/15 for which you have ticket entitlements. Cancel Stay A. All FPP remain for Stay B except for 7/8 which is linked to the cancelled stay.

1 Like

This is interesting. I have not heard of any cases where FPP were cancelled for the second part of a split stay, other than ones associated for the overlapping check in/check out. I had a split stay (not for FPP purposes but an actual need) and had to cancel the first one. As expected, FPP were cancelled for Stay A. But Stay B is still intact. This is for onsite stays with PH+ ticketing.

Nickysyme - where did you hear of this? Disboards? WDWMagic? Personal conversation? Do you have a link? I was looking for first hand counts of where the leading reservation cancellation lead to the elimination of fastpasses for the still intact reservation.

This doesn’t sound like a leading reservation situation. It is ONE 7 day reservation which had the first three days cancelled. I would expect all FPP to be cancelled. Now, if this was a split stay with Stay A the first three days and Stay B for the last 4 days then I would be worried if FPPs for both stays were cancelled when Stay A was cancelled. Make sense?

DIS and elsewhere.

Like I said, because the DIS mods started closing threads after confirmation from a few non-AP holders, the discussion petered out.

Maybe look for threads that were locked on the TPAS board. The final posts pretty much say “now that we have multiple reports of fps being deleted for all park days, closing as this practice is against Disney rules”. The mods clearly thought there was enough evidence of it happening that they declared it off limits.

You can maybe also use google for leading reservations to find other sites. I found one or two links at the time. Not ones I’m active on, so not wdwmagic or mouseowners. I’ll say again, I dont like the practice. But posting to let people know.

I’ve wondered about this. If you were to cancel a FP and try to rebook it, would it be available to grab it again? Do FP go right back into the system immediately when they are cancelled, or do they go back in a a later time?

Here’s one of the threads, confirming FPs were cancelled within 30 days.

In this case they were now staying offsite and cancelled within the 30 days. And this applied to AP holders (but they only had 7 days worth) and non AP holders.

Note this isn’t a leading reservation. It’s just cancelling within 30 days.

2starontheright,
I saw one single thread on disboards where the poster said they lost the check out day of a leading reservation, even with an in tatact reservation for that day. (Although I can’t find the thread anymore).

But other than that, I haven’t see any first hand accounts of how a cancelled leading reservation resulted in lost fastpasses. They might be out there. But all I ever see are people saying that they know its happening.

Nickysyme. I’ve looked as you have suggested but the threads I’ve found are different situations. I think you may be misreading some of those threads. But thanks for taking the time to respond, it is appreciated.